Ultima 8: Lost Vale box uncovered

Box for sale now

The box is on eBay for sale now. I´m currently the high bidder and German collectors are discussing whether it´s a fake or real.

Are there any NEW comments on that thread?

Kind regards from Germany,

ANDI
(andilist on eBay)

My gut says it's fake -- the entire scenario seems bizarre, and the fact that the screenshots are just the internet-released pictures is a moderate red flag (as is the fact that the people who worked on the game have never seen it).

It also doesn't match the prototype boxes in my collection, which never have the system requirements or UPC/EA# on them.

Hummm. Without seeing the thing, I"d say it's fake, but after taking a look, they seem surprisingly genuine.
maybe they mad the thing as a test, so that origin could decide to make boxes with them or not.

Well, the person who got his hands on the box had this to say:

I have talked to Joe from Origin Museum, both on the phone and through email. He has been researching the validity of the box through his sources for many days. In an email to me today he said his contact has confirmed the authenticity of the box, as well as an artist verified the artwork is Origins' as well.

That being said, I can certainly understand the hesitation to believe that this would all of a sudden pop up after all these years.

Hey guys, I am the current owner of the box. If you all have any questions I'll do my best to answer them for you.

Bandit, When I had a box manufactured for a product I released about 10 years ago, (A balloon animal kit) the final test was manufactured with all the details EXACT to the final, including the UPC, I then had a short time (like 2-3 hrs) to approve it so that they could continue the press run and complete the order or cancel or find any changes. Time is money for those guys. Early prototype boxes would not have those things, I agree, but I'm not selling an early prototype box.

Edfilho, My company is no Origin, but the box manufactures that I have dealt with will not make a specific prototype, Its too expensive, with thousands of dollars of preproduction work. first a die of the exact box size so that the scoring and folds are exact to the size needed, and this box has the insert made in it as well for holding the floppy disks (this would never be in a test- too expensive) then the graphic files have to be coallated to fit the box, film has to be printed then plates made then set up on a web style press machine, one single box takes as much work and setup as 50,000. Thats why you have to decide right away when its printed. Anyhow a company will have a contract or at least a deposit before it gets to that point. They try to lure the company to do business with them with prices not samples. But I do believe that when this box thats in question was made it was the one that would have been given for final approval to finish the print run, approval that never came.

This box is the real thing, its not a fake. Anyhow why would someone go through the thousands of dollars of forging a box in order to sell the box with a $300. reserve price?

gromitron said:
Bandit, When I had a box manufactured for a product I released about 10 years ago, (A balloon animal kit) the final test was manufactured with all the details EXACT to the final, including the UPC, I then had a short time (like 2-3 hrs) to approve it so that they could continue the press run and complete the order or cancel or find any changes. Time is money for those guys. Early prototype boxes would not have those things, I agree, but I'm not selling an early prototype box.

I'm not referring to whether or not this box is real or fake, but the issue was that other EA promotional boxes, both today and in the 90s, were produced without the UPC, system reqs and that sort of data.

Oh, I see what your saying, like the empty display boxes that are at EB prior to the game being finished, right? You're right that type of box is a whole different thing, they wouldn't have the upc and certainly not the interior disk holder.

Bandit LOAF said:
My gut says it's fake -- the entire scenario seems bizarre, and the fact that the screenshots are just the internet-released pictures is a moderate red flag (as is the fact that the people who worked on the game have never seen it).
I don't really consider the screenshots all that big of a problem. Wouldn't be the first time when pre-release shots from an unfinished game are used in the back of the box. The elusive cloaking device from Star Control 2 springs to mind.

Hey guys,

Today is the last day of the auction, and I just wanted to post the reply I
got from Denis Loubet today (he was Senior Artist of Origin Systems, Inc.
1987 - 1997). This was in response to my email, asking If he could help me
prove its authenticity.

"I have researched the cover and tracked down a person who remembers it. It
is authentic, and most likely a cover done by the Origin marketing
department for a never-released addition to Ultima 8.

Denis Loubet"

Well anyhow, I hope this helps.

Take care!

Ed

Back