UK Airing: Wing Commander

Quarto said:
Angel speaks French because... that's the language people speak in Belgium. There is no such thing as a Belgian language.
Ahhh this explains alot! Merci Boucoup Quarto. I just thought after I was convinced that she was Belgium that she just prefered the French Language.

In southern Belgium they are Belgiec and speak French .
In northern Belgium they are Belgium and speak German .
In central Belgium they cuss and fight a lot.

I gotta say that the Wikipedia article that scottandfiddle attached was quite informative!

Also, about Bossman...it is debatable, but I like to believe the theory that Bossman was only MIA, and later escaped his captors to rejoin the fight.

Angel speaks French because... that's the language people speak in Belgium. There is no such thing as a Belgian language.

Actually, that's not really the case. As well as speaking both French and German as Cargoman pointed out, there is a 'Belgian language'. It's called Flemish.

Corsair(pilot) said:
Actually, that's not really the case. As well as speaking both French and German as Cargoman pointed out, there is a 'Belgian language'. It's called Flemish.
Well, had this been the "What do they speak in Belgium" thread, I undoubtedly would've given a more detailed answer, explaining how only 40% of Belgium speaks French, while the rest speaks various dialects of Dutch, and about 1% speaks German. I would have also mentioned Flemish, pointing out however that there's still a lot of debate whether this is a language or merely a dialect of Dutch (that's the official line - that's why Belgium doesn't recognise Flemish as an official language, even though they gave that honour to their 1% German community), and it's really only being elevated to "language" status for political reasons. I would have further added that even if Flemish was a full-blown language, it absolutely cannot be considered to be the Belgian language, because if it was, you wouldn't have a large-scale Flemish movement to secede from Belgium.

As I said earlier - I would've explained all this had this been the "What do they speak in Belgium" thread. It's not, though, so I limited myself to explaining why Angel speaks French :).

Wulf said:
I gotta say that the Wikipedia article that scottandfiddle attached was quite informative!

Also, about Bossman...it is debatable, but I like to believe the theory that Bossman was only MIA, and later escaped his captors to rejoin the fight.
If you want to read other atricles search for it in the left hand side of the page and if u disagree with any of it just change it yourself by clicking edit! The Wing Commander section is quiet big but it does need changes where the internal links is in red writting!

Quarto said:
I would have also mentioned Flemish, pointing out however that there's still a lot of debate whether this is a language or merely a dialect of Dutch (that's the official line - that's why Belgium doesn't recognise Flemish as an official language, even though they gave that honour to their 1% German community), and it's really only being elevated to "language" status for political reasons. I would have further added that even if Flemish was a full-blown language, it absolutely cannot be considered to be the Belgian language, because if it was, you wouldn't have a large-scale Flemish movement to secede from Belgium.
I'd just like to point out that this is crazy-talk.

KrisV said:
I'd just like to point out that this is crazy-talk.
Jeeze I really started some stupid argument about the Belgium language by telling the world how I felt about the Wing Commander Movie. maybe I should just use the fourms for questions concerning the games in the futer instead of making comments unless it will help make something better!

Please stay

"Jeeze I really started some stupid argument "
Naw , just an honest exchange of thoughts.
Don't skip the non-technical threads , they're the only ones
I feel well versed enough to contribute to.

scottandfiddle said:
If you want to read other atricles search for it in the left hand side of the page and if u disagree with any of it just change it yourself by clicking edit! The Wing Commander section is quiet big but it does need changes where the internal links is in red writting!

And when someone who knows what they are about talking notices the retarded changes you made, they'll make the proper changes. I imagine you'll throw a big stink about it on the forums too.

Loaf you mention there were 3 different scripts of the movie earlier, where can I get a look at it>

Does anyone have they own copy of the movie?
I bought a VCD of the movie from Hong Kong and it was pretty good just had to get over with teh chinese subtitles that were in the way.....

Dahan said:
Loaf you mention there were 3 different scripts of the movie earlier, where can I get a look at it>

Does anyone have they own copy of the movie?

Doesn't everyone?

We very often refer to the scripts and things in our Document Archive
https://www.wcnews.com/archives/

Last edited by a moderator:
And when someone who knows what they are about talking notices the retarded changes you made, they'll make the proper changes. I imagine you'll throw a big stink about it on the forums too.

The Wing Commander Wikipedia entries are very poorly moderated regardless, it's not the person you're replying to's fault. They need someone to go through them and do a heck of a lot of fact checking... and I haven't managed to do that to any reasonable extent.

Back