Ugliest Ship

The terrible looking ships in the movie only reflected how mind-bendingly bad the movie was itself. The ugliest fighters are:

Avenger, Tarsus, Orion, Crossbow, Bloodfang Prototype, and the Privateer Salthi.

The ugliest ships are:

Sivar, Naktarg, Clydesdale, Star Base from Wc2, Kilrathi Supply depot from Wc2, Drayman from Wc1, Diligent from Wc1, Bhantkara, and the Spikeri.

The Broadsword is awesome looking, end of story. All of the Nephilim Capships were an eyesore except the Dreadnought, and the Rapier from the movie looks like something Flash Gordon rejected as to stupid. It looks like a frigging Natter, people!

jeez, you guys are really harsh on the looks of these ships.

the only ships i find ugly are the movie rapier and the avenger.

I think a lot of the "ALL THE MOVIE SHIPS ARE UGLY" comments are just generic idiocy. The Rapiers are really ugly, and a number of the capital ships are pretty uninspired (Snakeir, Sivar and Bengal)... but some of the other designs are really beautiful. The 'battleship in space' Concordia is really cool, and the Errant-class merchantman is a ship that just *feels* right. The Dralthi and the Thrakhra-classes are 'ordinary' Kilrathi designs, no different from any of the furball ships which appear in Wing Commander III.

"AND I HATE ALL THE MOVIE SHIPS" is just generic movie bashing that tells us more about the amount of thought you put into your reply than anything else. I certainly agree that some of the movie ships are bad. I can't fault the Rapier, it's still a unique looking design that has a clear purpose that I think it achieved (yes, it's very ugly)... but I'd certainly rage against the Snakeir and the Sivar 'module' ships. They're *lazy* designs. To create a ship that's the centerpiece of the movie's climax (Snakeir blown up by Scylla) that doesn't feel special or alien is cheap. Especially when the same team can come up with an appropriately cool looking pointy Thrakhra-class.

Fighters: (unsorted) WCM Rapier, Epee, Scimitar, Avanger, WC2 Strakha, Wraith, Crossbow, Vindicator

Cap-Ships: (unsorted) Sivar, WC1&2 Transporters (TC & K), Plunkett

Bandit LOAF said:
I think a lot of the "ALL THE MOVIE SHIPS ARE UGLY" comments are just generic idiocy. The Rapiers are really ugly, and a number of the capital ships are pretty uninspired (Snakeir, Sivar and Bengal)... but some of the other designs are really beautiful. The 'battleship in space' Concordia is really cool, and the Errant-class merchantman is a ship that just *feels* right. The Dralthi and the Thrakhra-classes are 'ordinary' Kilrathi designs, no different from any of the furball ships which appear in Wing Commander III.

"AND I HATE ALL THE MOVIE SHIPS" is just generic movie bashing that tells us more about the amount of thought you put into your reply than anything else. I certainly agree that some of the movie ships are bad. I can't fault the Rapier, it's still a unique looking design that has a clear purpose that I think it achieved (yes, it's very ugly)... but I'd certainly rage against the Snakeir and the Sivar 'module' ships. They're *lazy* designs. To create a ship that's the centerpiece of the movie's climax (Snakeir blown up by Scylla) that doesn't feel special or alien is cheap. Especially when the same team can come up with an appropriately cool looking pointy Thrakhra-class.

The only real ship I had issue with in the movie was the Rapier...the others were fine by me. I had major issues with all the Nephilim ships in Prophecy...yes I understand the reason for their design...I just hated them.

I had issues with the Snakeir and movie Bengal.

I like the looks of all Confed and Kilrathi fighters and Capships, no problems with em. The only game fighter I can't stand is WC4's Avenger.

What I don't understand is how Chris Roberts let them butcher his game like they did in the movie. They changed all the ship designs, nothing looked like the game. Was Chris under the influence of the Pod people when he made this movie?

The Wing Commander movie was what Chris Roberts made with four times as much money and no oversight. Like it or lump it, it's as far from an evil corporate conspiracy as humanly possible.

Sure, you're free to hate all sorts of things... but ranting about them in entirely unrelated threads is trolling.

I think that the Bengal and Dilligent from the WC movie were great designs. As for the ugliest Wing Commander ship? It's hard to say. I wasn't a fan of the Nephilim organic designs. But that's not to say that they're bad, they could be the best organic ship designs in the universe and I still wouldn't like them. It's just something about organic designs.

I also think the Avenger is pretty ugly. It reminds me of some kind of vehicle you'd see around the airport hauling stuff around. I'd like to say the Tarsus is also ugly but it's too charming for me to care about its looks.

I know this'll be unpopular, but I never liked the Confed capship designs after WC2. From WC3 on, they all looked like coffins with a cup of coffee on top (or worse - the Midway looks like a giant hairpin, and I have no words to describe the aesthetic effect of a Pelican or Plunkett. Confed must have placed money on the psychological effect of instilling awe and abomination in the enemy...). The Hades was the only one that gave some relief.

I can't believe people didn't like the Bengal from the movie. I thought it looked awsome. I actually (gasp) liked it better than the original. Also, how can everyone hate the Rapier from the movie so much, that gun was awsome, the stuff behind it, well...hey, the gun was pretty cool! ;)

I really don't like the Bengal -- it's not a bad design per say, but it's also not a very good *signature* design. It should have been the Wing Commander movie's Enterprise -- sleak, attractive, recognizable -- but instead it was just a big pod that stuff came out of.

I know this'll be unpopular, but I never liked the Confed capship designs after WC2.

I can see why you'd say that, that would probobaly be my next choice. I did like the Victory, but the other capships in wc3 seemed very generic to me. Although I found that they had fixed this by Prophecy.

I really don't like the Bengal -- it's not a bad design per say, but it's also not a very good *signature* design. It should have been the Wing Commander movie's Enterprise -- sleak, attractive, recognizable -- but instead it was just a big pod that stuff came out of.

I think at least some of that feeling you're getting is due to the way the ship was handled cinematography-wise. You hardly ever see the whole thing in a frame... Even to this day I can't find anyone who is able to tell me what the back of it looks like.

Bandit LOAF said:

But you liked WC1's Bengal right? That was a classy ship...

Back