UE Mastercard moment

Delance

Victory, you say?
Squids destroyed: 20
Bugs still following: 25
Total Squids: 45
"ohhhhhhhhhh these big eyed bugs make some very goooood gumboooooooooooooooooo": 15
Minutes before you realize you should non-auto pilot to the next nav: 15
Minutes spent on manual cruise speed to the next nav point while watching TV: 10
Total minutes lost in the mission: 35
Finding out a massive bug fleet on the last nav point: priceless

[rant]
Seriously, I don't mind the bug fleet at the last nav point, just the endless squids thing. The difficult part should not be 30m into the mission, forcing any replay into a boring exercise.

"Hey, let's make countless waves of squids on an endless gauntlet!".

This mission design did however provide a funny nav map. 25 squids, in line, after a banshee.
[/rant]

Regarding the infinite squids: You have to autopilot out of there before one shows up.

Regarding the welcome party: Well - you should not let the scouts get away then I suppose... <G>

You know, I'm starting to think that maybe I should alter that mission up to make retreating possible (well, it's already possible, but it's kinda silly). But that would kinda ruin the whole idea of trapping the player :p.

Re: Re: UE Mastercard moment

Originally posted by cff
Regarding the welcome party: Well - you should not let the scouts get away then I suppose... <G>

What are you talking about? I did destroy those ships in time. The computer said that the secondary objectives were "complete", green and all. Is this a mission bug?

Originally posted by Quarto
But that would kinda ruin the whole idea of trapping the player :p.

Trapping the player kind of ruins the mission, however. It took some time to realize the infinite things. It blows the how suspension of disbelief when you see dozens of ships in line following you for 15 minutes as you watch half of a sitcom on TV.

Re: Re: Re: UE Mastercard moment

Originally posted by Delance
Trapping the player kind of ruins the mission, however. It took some time to realize the infinite things. It blows the how suspension of disbelief when you see dozens of ships in line following you for 15 minutes as you watch half of a sitcom on TV.

Or, you could just kill all the other bugs before the Squids show up and autopilot the hell out of there. The Squids only show up if you fail to do that.

My only complaint about this mission is that those ships should be something other than Squids. I probably wouldn't notice if there were infinite waves of Devil Rays, cause I wouldn't get past the first wave... but Squids are so easy to kill that it becomes obvious that the mission is supposed to trap the player (not that it's a bad idea - in fact, it's a good one, but it's gotta be more efficiently camouflaged than this :))

If it was like infinite waves of 12 Stingrays each or something, then only cheaters would survive long enough to notice that they've done something wrong which is supposed to make the mission impossible to win anymore.

--Eder

Actually its easy to escape with autoslide, because you can go in 1000+ kps. But even on a Banshee at around 500kps, the squids can't attack you. Yes, they are faster than you, but they can't fire. And when they can fire, they are slower. They could go past you and then attack, but they are too stupid.

Anyway, please answer: if the computer says the secondary objective of destroying the bugs before they can send a message, would the bugs be on the last jump point?

Well, you know, Squids made sense, since they're interceptors... Devil Rays would have been serious overkill, and Stingrays are bombers. As it is, though, the problem seems to be not that the player is trapped by Squids, but that he can still escape :p.

That secondary objective is at the first navpoint, Delance. As for hostiles at the Dauntless NAV, there's always a small group there. If you fail the secondary objective, there's a much bigger group. If you deviate from the planned flight path during the mission, there's also a bigger group.

Originally posted by Delance

Anyway, please answer: if the computer says the secondary objective of destroying the bugs before they can send a message, would the bugs be on the last jump point?

I think there are still bugs there, but like 3 or 4, including one Ray cluster. If you fail the interception you'll face like 20 or so.

I never managed to "take out those bugs before they send a message". I´ve tried to dumbfire the Ray´s ass fast and then make a very quick meal of those two Morays but I still fail the secondary objective. Is there a special strategy to do that?

Not if you're very, very fast :p.

The best way of handling this is to order your wingmen to go after one Moray while you go after the other. Go after the Ray only after the Morays are dead - you can ignore the Remoras, but your wingmen probably won't.

Back