Turrets question

Starkey

Avenging Rooster
Hi! I´ve been using that Guadalcanal-Concordia-Lionheart wallpaper for a while and I noticed that the turrets on the Concordia are way too big. Compared to the taking-off tiny Rapiers (barely noticeable), some turrets are 3 times the size of a fighter. Is that the final version of the Concordia? How many turrets will it have?

Well, turrets in general are pretty damn big in WCP/SO, so at least some of those turrets on the Concordia are simply normal WCP/SO size... although the big one over at the front of the ship was intentionally scaled up.

And yeah, that's the final version of the Concordia (err, probably - with Eder, there's always a possibility of a redesign coming out of nowhere :p). I don't remember the number of turrets offhand, but it's definitely not as high as on the UE capships. In Standoff, turrets don't need to be numerous to be painful ;).

Yup, Q be right again.

Turrets vary a lot in size - some of the Kamekh's turrets are much, much, much smaller than the Concordia's front turret, and that's pretty final. Capships aren't too fun to reconvert, so I don't do it unless there's any major problem. It's not like fighters.

Capships have roughly 1.5 to 2.5 times as many turrets as they had in WC2 (AMG + Flak). I took some liberties (mainly to cover blindspots) of course.

Oh, and about things that are 3 times the size of other things, well, our Broadswords are in scale. :p

*frowns*

I have a vaguely disturbed feeling, now...

While on the subject of Standoff models, that Stiletto shot is absolutely gorgeous. Great job, guys. Any chance of getting a wallpaper-sized version?

Moonsword said:
While on the subject of Standoff models, that Stiletto shot is absolutely gorgeous. Great job, guys. Any chance of getting a wallpaper-sized version?
I dunno, it's not really much representative of Standoff due to the paintjob. The model does look great, though, so maybe I can work out a wallpaper render once I'm done with Standoff's (very green) paintjob. Could be neat to make a scene with the Firekka, that'd be some true main-campaign-related art.

Psych, thanks for telling me that, I'll go check it out. The other new art I've seen on there from you guys is fantastic, too.

Eder, if you do, it's definitely going on my hard drive, but I'm not holding my breath by an means.

It's actually a good idea, since we're currently using no background art for the "loading mission" screen. I mostly intended to keep it that way, but I guess a render with high enough detail could look good there.

I think the prevailing answer is likely to be "when it's done". Which is fair enough given the volume of work involved.

Let me restate that: How long, as in series and missions, is Standoff? I'm not asking for a release date here, I know they're working hard and have more work ahead of them.

The prologue is 7 missions long. The campaign can be anywhere between 14 to 18 missions long (or something like that, I'm not sure).

Missions vary a lot in length, though. Also, the campaign is very dynamic and complex, even if at the expense of some sheer semi-linear length. You'll have to play thru a few times to get to see all the missions, fiction, etc (choices made in the prologue will affect the campaign to an extent, even).

Yes. The prologue and the main campaign are joined together the way SO episodes were joined - so, you can't start the main campaign until you're done with the prologue.

This is a question regarding release date.

I heard mentioned that the game would be out for sure before the end of 2004, is this the prologue being out or the full game out before 12/31/04?

And regarding length, that makes the game roughly twice the size of UE, right?

The prologue. The main game could perhaps be finished before the end of the year as well, but it doesn't strike me as especially likely, given all the delays we've been running into this year.

Twice as long as UE sounds about right for the main campaign. Hopefully more replay value, too.

Eder said:
Oh, and about things that are 3 times the size of other things, well, our Broadswords are in scale. :p

Do you have any screenshots of a Broadsword-Ferret (or other small fighter) wing flying formation?

Also, I see from the cockpit screenshots that the missile countermeasures are called, well, "countermeasures" :p. Shouldn´t they be labeled "chaff pods", like in WC2?

Starkey said:
Also, I see from the cockpit screenshots that the missile countermeasures are called, well, "countermeasures" :p. Shouldn´t they be labeled "chaff pods", like in WC2?

Picky, Picky

Back