Trust

maestro876

Spaceman
This is the beggining of the fanfic story I said I was thinking about writing last week. I'll be working on it and posting parts of it as I go. I'd love thoughts, comments, and feedback as I add stuff. The story takes place on Earth, and for the most part the characters are completely new. The working title is "Trust".

(The whole first part is too large to post at once, so I'll cover it in two posts).

Part 1

The buzzing sound was what jolted her awake.
Shit.
She rolled onto her back and reached out towards her alarm clock. She pressed the snooze button several times, but the buzzing failed to cease. She squinted her eyes and peered at the clock—3:47. After a moment she realized it wasn’t the clock buzzing, but her PDA. She sat up in bed and yawned, stretching her arms above her head.
Dammit, too early. She groped for the device, and switched it on.
“Yeah?”
“Sam? You awake?” a voice asked. Her grogginess must have come through her voice.
“No. What is it?”
“There’s a body for you. In the factory district on the river.” It was Dale Jackson, her lieutenant.
“Couldn’t it wait until morning?”
“Sorry Sam. The brass is interested in this one, and they want us on it ASAP.”
“Yeah, yeah, I’m going. Be there in half an hour.”
Samantha Mastros pulled herself out of bed, and threw some clothes on. In five minutes, she was out the door.

She arrived at the scene while the CSI team was still finishing up. The body lay in an alley between buildings, wedged between a dumpster and some packing crates. Sam flashed her badge to get inside the police line, and approached one of the other detectives.
“What do we got James?”
Detective James Beckett was scribbling some notes on his PDA. “Not much yet. Dead white male, looks middle aged, somewhere between 35 and 40. Still haven’t moved him, but we’ll get around to that as soon as the CSI team finishes its sweep and—” He stopped when he noticed she was scanning the scene herself with her PDA. “You know, the CSI team already did that.”
“Yeah,” she said, “I know, but I like my own perspective.” She pocketed her PDA. “I’ll get CSI’s work later on, once they’ve processed everything.”
“Whatever floats your boat, Sam.”
Sam waited until CSI gave the ok, and she approached the body, crouching down to examine it. Beckett was right, though she would have put the age closer to early 40s. The cause of death was apparent—laser shot to the head. It looked close range to her, point blank even. There was some scorching around the left temple, and a large exit wound on the right side of the head, indicating that he was probably shot on the left side. He still had his clothes on, but they looked more like sleeping clothes rather than daytime wear. She felt his skin, which was slightly warm.
“Any idea as to time of death?”
“Body temp and lack or rigor points to it being pretty recent. An autopsy will say for sure, but it looks like within the last four or five hours,” the other detective said.
She lifted one of the arms and examined the wrist. There was a dark red line encircling it, and a quick glance showed the same line around the other wrist.
“There’s bruising on the wrists, looks like he was bound before he died.” She stood up and brushed her hands off. “He wasn’t killed here,” she said.
“No, we didn’t think so. There’s no blood anywhere except on his clothes and his body, and that’s dried. He died and bled out somewhere else, and was dumped here.”
Sam nodded and began to look around the body. There wasn’t much, though, and she rooted around the alley.
“Whoa!” she cried out, calling the other officers over. She had moved one of the packing crates, and clear as day on the ground was a footprint. It was dried, and brownish.
“What is that stuff?” she asked. One of the CSI crew made a quick scan of the footprint with an imager, and then bent down over it.
“Let’s find out,” he said, aiming a small device at the print, and then firing a small laser into it. “It’s some sort of industrial lubricant, like the stuff they use in machinery.”
“Is that what this place is?” Sam asked, pointing to the building the body had been discovered next to.
“Something like that,” said Beckett. “It’s a factory owned by a company called CimTech. I’m not sure exactly what it is they produce here, though.”
“We’ll study this print more,” said the CSI man. “We can get you a basic suspect description—sex, height, weight, build, etc. as soon as we analyze it.”
“Thanks,” said Sam, stepping back and looking down the alleyway towards the street.
“How was the body found?”
“Patrol stumbled across it,” said Beckett. “There’ve been some complaints by these factory owners about vandalism and B&E lately, so the department tasked a patrol car to give the area a run through every night.”
She nodded, thinking. Close range gunshot, hands bound. This was an execution.
“Detectives!” yelled one of the CSIs.
“What is it?” asked Sam.
“We got a hit on the deceased’s prints in the system.” The tech handed Samantha the data print out.
“Well,” she said, “this just keeps getting more and more interesting.” John Ridgeway, Deputy Undersecretary of State, lay deceased in a dark alleyway of Washington, DC.

Reports of the armistice dominated all the news outlets. Sam switched off her radio as she sped towards Georgetown. She had long since stopped following the details of the war, and the high, urgent voice of Barbara Miles did nothing except aggravate her. She had enough to deal with on her own, and she didn’t need the extra stress of worrying about events taking place on the opposite end of the galaxy.
John Ridgeway, it seems, resided in a very nice upper-class apartment in Georgetown, along with all the other Foggy Bottom senior diplomats. Traffic was almost nonexistent, as it was still far too early for the normal rush hour crowd. She arrived at the apartment building along with Detective Beckett, whom it seemed had also been lucky enough to catch this late-night case.
They were let in by a security guard, who was quite surprised to find himself confronted at five o’clock in the morning by a pair of homicide detectives. The guard led the two to Ridgeway’s apartment and let them inside. It was a large four-room apartment, living room, kitchen, bathroom, and bedroom, with a balcony overlooking the city. Even a fireplace graced the living room.
“Guess not all government jobs are as lousy-paying as ours, eh?” joked Beckett.
The apartment was deserted, and they could detect no signs of forced entry or struggle. No obvious signs, anyway. To Sam, the place looked slightly off, as if her subconscious detected something but her conscious mind couldn’t place it.
“James, do you notice anything…I dunno, weird about this place?”
He paused, and looked around. “Now that you mention it, you’re right. It doesn’t feel right.”
“It’s like there’s something…off about it.” She approached the fireplace, and examined the shelf above it. There was a clock, and several pictures of Ridgeway with people she supposed were important State officials or visiting dignitaries. There was a layer of dust covering everything, but upon close inspection she noticed clean spots on the shelf that were slightly off from the objects that should have rested there.
That’s it, she thought.
“James,” she said, motioning for him to join her. “Look,” she said, pointing to the shelf. She walked to a coffee table and noticed the same phenomenon. A look at the bookshelves revealed the same. “Someone searched this place, then tried to put everything back,” she said.
Beckett nodded his head in agreement. “This case is getting better by the minute. What the hell was this guy into?”
Seeing nothing of further interest in the living room, they entered the bedroom.
“Whoa,” said Beckett, looking at the bed. “Call CSI, I think we’ve got our murder scene.” The bed was covered in blood, as well as the wall behind the headboard. They could see bits of brain and skull matter littering the bed and floor.

“You’re serious?” asked Lt. Jackson.
“Yes sir,” answered Sam, handing over her PDA to the Lt. “All our notes and photos are in there.”
Both detectives were seated in Jackson’s office, back in the 27th Precinct. The CSI team had gone over the apartment with a fine-tooth comb, and had revealed nothing except the blood of the victim.
“Shit,” said Jackson. “Shit, I don’t need this, not today.” He rubbed his temples. “Every single man and woman in this precinct has someone out on the line, and with this damn armistice, now every single one of them is calling in sick.”
Beckett smiled. “Well, Lt., it’s nice to know that we’re your most dedicated detectives.”
“You laugh,” said Jackson, “I’m the one who has to run this place. You try telling someone whose wife or husband has been out on the line for a decade that no, they can’t have the day off because someone still has to police this goddamn city.”
“All right, all right,” said Sam, “back to the case. This guy had something of an important slot at State, so we’re gonna have to inform them that he’s dead. Seeing as they’ve probably got their hands full today, we’ll wait until tomorrow to talk to his coworkers and staff.”
“As far as we can tell,” said Beckett, “he lived alone. No family, no next of kin to notify. The apartment didn’t reveal much, besides the obvious and our little, ah, oddity.”
“Yeah, about that,” said Jackson, “You guys sure there couldn’t be some other explanation?”
“Well it’s perfectly possible, but my gut tells me someone was looking around for something in that place.”
“Perfect,” said Jackson. “You know, this guy was a federal employee, and technically, we should give the case to the feds.”
Sam smiled. “We won’t tell them if you don’t.”
Jackson sighed. “All right, but you know they’re gonna try to take it away from us when they find out.”
“We caught the case to start, we’ve done all the preliminary work. The more we do, the harder it’ll be for them to take it. Besides, you know some people over there. If it comes to that, make some calls.”
“Fine, fine. What’s your next move?”
“Well,” Sam said, “I thought I’d go home and get some sleep, seeing as I’ve been up since four this morning.”
“Oh no. You want this case, it’s yours, but that means it’s your number one priority. Meaning it takes precedence over sleep.”
“We’ll head back to the apartment building,” said Beckett, cutting in. “It’s a high-end place, right in the middle of Georgetown, probably has some high-tech security systems.”
Sam nodded. “Yeah, at least cameras, hopefully more.”
“All right, get started. And call me if you find anything.”

Trust

Part 1, cont.

“Ok, what are you looking for?”
Mastros and Beckett were in the security office of Ridgeway’s apartment building, talking to the head of security.
“What kind of systems do you have?” asked Beckett.
“Well, your standard cameras covering the lobby, the elevators, and pretty much every hallway. Skylights on the top floor have lasers running through the glass, so if it’s broken or cracked in any way we get alerts down here. No balconies below the third floor, and it’s flat wall below that, so you can’t climb up.”
“That’s it on the roof?”
“Well, we used to have a robotic sentry patrolling up there, but it was expensive to maintain, and it kept tripping the alarms on the skylights. We got rid of it a few months ago.”
“Uh huh,” said Beckett. “How about ventilation?”
“Standard system throughout the whole building. The intakes are up on the roof too, and just like the windows we got laser sensors guarding the grates. They are big enough to crawl through, though.”
“How about in the vents?”
“Spyder bots, one on each floor. Those are more for maintenance and pest-control than security, but if they see anything warm they give it a good zap, like from a taser. Wouldn’t want to get shocked by one myself.”
“Anything get tripped last night?”
“Hmmm, we got an alert on one of the skylights, camera didn’t show anything so we assumed it was bird crap or something.”
“All right, we’ll go check out the roof in a minute” said Sam. “Now show us the cameras for Ridgeway’s floor.”
“No problem,” the man said. “Floor eight…” said, tapping keys. “There are three main hallways on that floor, so I assume you want to see the one outside your guy’s place.”
“Please.”
The image came to life on the monitor. Nothing but an empty hallway.
“Is this last night?”
“Yeah, around eight o’clock.”
“Fast forward to eleven.”
The image blacked out, and reappeared again with a different timestamp. It sped forward through time.
“Stop,” said Sam. “Back up.”
The image ran backwards for a moment, and stopped as a man appeared in the hallway. The timestamp read 0112.
“What’s he doing?” said Beckett.
The man appeared from around a corner, and walked straight to Ridgeway’s door. He looked around five-eleven, six feet maybe, in his thirties, with short dark hair.
“That your guy?” asked the security man.
“No, it’s someone else. Keep going.”
The man pounded on Ridgeway’s door for a moment, and then pulled out a small electronic device. He inserted it into the door lock, and a moment later the door opened. He disappeared inside.
“Fast forward,” commanded Sam.
The image blurred, until the man reappeared, closed the door, and left the hallway. The timestamp read 0145.
“Follow him outside the building.”
The monitor switched images, following the man as he took the stairs to the lobby, and disappeared into the night.
“Looks like we got ourselves a suspect,” said Beckett. “Do you recognize him?”
“Nope.”
“Can you zoom in and get us a printout of his face?”
“Sure.”
“All right, now take us back earlier. Find Ridgeway when he comes home.”
They found him at around nine, entering the building with a woman in tow.
“Well, looks like we’ve got a twist,” Beckett said, looking closer at the monitor. “Get us a printout of her face too. You recognize her?”
“Can’t say I do.”
The couple disappeared into Ridgeway’s apartment at 2104.
“Ok,” said Sam, “We know he was alive at nine last night. ME’s report said he died sometime between eleven and midnight. Fast forward.”
They watched, but there was nothing until just after one when the mysterious man entered.
“Keep going.”
Again, there was nothing until the two detectives were let into the building by the security guard at five that morning.
“Damn,” said Beckett. “Are we sure there was no one else in that apartment?”
“I sure as hell didn’t see anyone, and neither did the CSI team,” said Sam.
“Well, it appears as if we have ourselves a mystery.”
“Yeah, as if we didn’t have one already.”

Yeah, but the guy was shot by a laser, right.
Lasers dont make a mess, they simply burn through things.
But except from that, its a very good story.

Dyret said:
Yeah, but the guy was shot by a laser, right.
Lasers dont make a mess, they simply burn through things.
But except from that, its a very good story.

I recall from The Price of Freedom that when Seether shot the captured Border Worlds pilot at point blank with a laser pistol, it created quite a mess.

Thanks, and keep the feedback coming.

It was interesting, but when Same first found the body and was examining it, you said she wiped her hands, but shouldn't she have been wearing gloves? It was a crime seen, after all and I wouldn't think that someone would wipe their hands if they had gloves on.

Yeah, she was wearing gloves, but I would think it's instinct to, after handling a dead body, just brush your hands off against one another. You know, it's a common instinctive gesture.

All right, we continue to Part II. Not quite as long as Part I, but that's cause I'm tired and I want to go to bed. :D

“I hate coming here.”
The coroner’s office was cold, and exuded an anti-septic aura. Still, Sam could detect a faint odor of decay.
“Aw come on, detective,” said the coroner, a woman named Pruitt. “Have a little heart.”
“All right,” said Beckett, “tell us what you’ve got.”
“Your guy definitely died between eleven and midnight last night. Can’t really narrow it down more, unfortunately.”
“And the cause of death is—”
“Painfully obvious?” Pruitt smiled. “Yes, it’s exactly as it looks. Shot to the head, died instantly.”
“Any signs of trauma pre-mortem?” asked Sam.
“None that were immediately apparent.”
“What about the marks on the wrists?”
“Those could have been pre-mortem, but it’s impossible to say whether it was that or if they were inflicted immediately after death.”
Beckett circled around the body, and looked closely at the entrance wound. “What weapon would you say caused this?”
“Right now, any number of laser pistols could have done it. We’ve got tissue samples being tested for energy traces right now, so we’ll know more in a day or so. What I can say is that the amount of kinetic energy required to cause an exit wound like that is significant, and not every pistol on the market is capable of it.”
“How about a tox screen?” asked Sam. “Anything?”
“Blood alcohol level of .10. He had a few before he bought it. Nothing else though—no poisons, no drugs.”
Pruitt moved around to the body’s feet and pointed to a small scrape mark on the back of one heel. “This is almost definitely post-mortem, probably done while moving the body.”
“Can you tell what caused it?” said Beckett.
“I found some grains of gravel in the scrape. Other than that, not much I can tell you.”
“Gravel? You mean like cement or…?”
“No, not cement, like on a sidewalk. This is more like stuff at a construction yard, or on a roof maybe.”
“A roof?” said Sam. She looked at Beckett.
“Damn,” he said, “we forgot to check out the roof after we looked at the camera footage.”
“Let’s go,” said Sam. She looked back at the body. “I hate coming here.”
“Yeah, me too,” said Beckett.

The two detectives were led up to the roof by the same head of security they had spoken with earlier that day.
“I don’t know why you want to come up here,” he said. “I told you the cameras showed nothing out of the ordinary.”
“Indulge us, please,” said Beckett.
The trio emerged from the access point onto the top of the apartment building. Gravel crunched beneath their feet as they walked out.
Sam bent down and scooped up some gravel. “I’ll take this back to Pruitt so she can match it against what was in Ridgeway’s scrape.”
Beckett nodded. He walked to the edge of the building and peered down. They were nine stories up, one above Ridgeway’s floor. “You sure the camera didn’t see anything?” he asked.
“Positive. You can go and look at the playback if you want.”
“I trust you.” Beckett walked around the roof, looking at the skylights, four in all. “How many apartments are on this floor?” he asked.
“Two. Each has two skylights, one in the living room and one in the bedroom.”
Beckett examined the closest one. It was a four-sided pyramid shape, protruding up from the roof. As he looked closely, he could barely make out faint red lines running through the glass. The laser system the security man had boasted about earlier that day.
“Which one had the alarm tripped on it?”
“Uhh, that one, over there,” the man said, pointing to the northeast side of the building.
Beckett approached it, and circled around it.
“Sam, would you come here for a moment?”
She walked over. “Why, you find something?”
Beckett stood in front of one side of the skylight. He stuck his hand forward, and it passed straight through the glass and into the apartment.
“I’ll be damned…” said the security man.
“This is it,” said Beckett. “This is how he, or they, got in.”
“What about the guy in the video, or the woman?” asked Sam.
“I don’t know,” he answered. He bent down to the base of the pyramid and lifted up a small electronic device. He fiddled with it for a moment, and then the glass pyramid suddenly disappeared. “Holograph generator. Expensive hardware.”
“I don’t get it,” said the security chief. “How come the cameras didn’t see anything?”
Beckett looked around until he spotted the closest camera. He trudged over to it, and examined it briefly. “Do me a favor, chief,” he said. “Call down to the control room and ask them if they can see us up here.”
While the chief complied, Sam approached Beckett. “What’s going on?” she asked.
He pointed to a small grey object, about the size of a thumbnail, attached to the rear of the camera. “Signal interceptor. It interrupts the feed coming from the camera to the control room and alters it to fit whatever the designer wants.”
“You’re right,” said the security chief. “Downstairs this looks like just an empty roof.”
Beckett plucked the device from the camera and placed it in an evidence bag, which he pocketed. “I think you’ll find the problem has remedied itself now, chief.”
The man scratched his head. “I guess we’ve got more holes than we figured, huh.”
“I guess,” said Beckett.
“So wait,” the chief said. “We’re nine stories up. How did whoever it was get up here?”
“Easy. Come in on a blacked-out hovercraft; use a zip line to fix the cameras before setting down. Vaporize the skylight and put that holograph in place in case anyone happens up here to look around.”
“Damn,” said Sam. “Then where do those other people fit into this?”
“Who knows? But I do know,” he said, pointing to the vanished skylight, “that we need to find out who lives in that apartment.”

Part III arriveth. As always, comments and feedback encouraged.

Beckett pounded on the door, but there was no answer.
“Here it is, I’ve got it,” said the security chief, tapping the screen of a PDA. “The apartment was rented about two weeks ago by a Ms. Jennifer Burstedt. She paid a month’s rent in advance in cash, never heard from her again.”
“I’m calling Judge Reynolds,” said Sam. “Two minutes, I’ll have us a warrant.”
“I doubt you will hear from her again,” said Beckett. “Did she sign anything? Like a lease?”
“Yeah, we’ve got it right here.” The man beamed a copy to Beckett’s PDA.
“How about paper? Did she handle any paper?”
“Nope, according to records everything she gave us except the cash was digital.”
“How about a photo?”
“Sorry, it’s not our policy to photograph tenants.”
“Uh huh.” Beckett sighed and leaned against the wall.
Sam came back over and gave them the thumbs up. “All right, we’re good to go.”
“Open it,” commanded Beckett. The security chief slid a thin keycard into a slot just above the door handle, and the lock clicked open.
Beckett drew his gun, as did Sam. He reached and pushed the door open, and Sam swiftly entered the room, Beckett right behind. After a moment both lowered their weapons and holstered them. The apartment was completely empty. No furniture, appliances, or dishware. Just, completely empty.
“Another wrinkle in the plot,” said Beckett.
“We’ll get CSI in here to look for prints, fibers, the works,” said Sam. “In the meantime, there’s not much else we can do.”
“Here,” Beckett said, handing the security chief his card. “Call me if Ms. Burstedt ever shows herself again, or if you see either of those two people from the cameras.” The man nodded.
“There’s nothing left to do here,” Sam said. “Let’s get out of here.”

Before going back to the precinct, Beckett dropped the holograph generator and signal device off at the crime lab. With luck, they could find something out about the devices’ manufacture, and perhaps trace evidence as well. Then it was back to the precinct and a conference with Lt. Jackson.
“And that’s all you have so far?” the lieutenant asked.
“So far, yes, sir,” replied Sam. “We ran the suspects’ faces through the system, no hits. Tomorrow we’ll get some test results from CSI, and we’ll head over to State to talk to Ridgeway’s staff and coworkers. Maybe one of them can shed some light on this.”
“Beckett? You have anything to add?”
“No, sir, Detective Mastros has covered all the salient points. I’d say we’ve done about all we can in one day.”
“I suppose you’re right. Go home, get some rest. You both have been up for over twelve hours.”
Sam breathed a sigh of relief. “Thanks, LT.” She looked at Beckett. “See you tomorrow James.”

Sam emerged onto the roof of her apartment building. She lived in a building on Connecticut Ave, about two blocks southeast from Dupont Circle. She had slept for the last five hours after leaving the precinct. The warm summer air felt pleasant, and she tiptoed her way to the edge of the roof. She sat down and wrapped her arms around her legs.
From her perch, she could see the Capitol building lit up in the distance, the Confederation flag on the top of the dome flapping in the light breeze. Beyond that was the Washington Monument, illuminated by grand spotlights. The monuments were over 800 years old—relics of a distant past.
Suddenly the sky lit up, as fireworks rocketed into the sky above the Capitol and the Monument. The explosions were brilliant, the display charming, in it’s own way. She could see a crowd gathered in the Mall, dancing, cheering. Was it over? Those people seemed to think so. She wondered though. A deep roaring sound filled the sky, and a flight of planes screamed above her head. They buzzed over the Mall, the formation splitting and each plane danced through the sky. A sonic boom thundered across the city, and the wind scattered Sam’s hair.
She looked down, and pulled her hands to her chest. In her hands she grasped a Confederation Flying Cross. It was old—worn with age. She held it close, and squeezed her eyes shut. Tears ran down her face, and dripped down to the ground. She prayed to God that it was really over.

All right, we move on to Part IV. This is the largest part so far, and will take more than one post to cover. More information is revealed as the investigation continues, and the story gets a little exciting at the end of this part. Also, we see our first familiar Wing Commander character. She shouldn't be hard to miss. As always, feedback is encouraged.

Part IV

“He was a good man. I’ll miss him.”
Secretary of State Jamison stood up from behind her desk. “I’m sorry I can’t be of further assistance to your investigation, detectives, but as I’m sure you’re aware, we’re quite busy lately.”
Sam nodded. “We understand, Ms. Secretary, and we thank you for your time.”
Jamison smiled. “My pleasure. It’s the least I could do for Jonathan—I’ve known him for several years.” She gestured towards a holoscreen. “No one expected this armistice, and now we’re running to play catch-up. The Cats caught us by surprise on this one.”
Beckett cocked his head. “Do you really think they’re serious about this? I mean, the Kilrathi never seemed like the kind to accept anything less than total victory.”
“Well, detective, I’m sorry to say that you’re badly misinformed about Kilrathi society. No, I don’t think they’re that dissimilar from us, and they want to see this war end as badly as we do.” Now she started walking around her office, waving her hands about. “I’ll tell you what it is—this damn war could have been over years ago if it wasn’t for the military. Bunch of warmongers and law-breakers. Especially that rat Tolwyn…” She trailed off. “Well, I won’t bore you with politics. I know you have a case to work on.”
Sam remained silent. Beckett sensed her discomfort, and intervened. “Uh, thank you again, ma’am. One last thing, uh, could you direct us to Mr. Ridgeway’s office? We need to interview his staff.”
“Oh, no problem, just ask my secretary outside. She’ll help you.”
Beckett nodded, and he and Sam left the room. They spoke to the secretary, who told them to try the third floor.
“Are you ok?” Beckett asked Sam, as they walked down the hallway. “You looked a little, flustered back there.”
“I’m fine,” she whispered.
“Are you sure? Because you were acting like—”
“I said, I’m fine. Drop it.”
Beckett remained silent.
The two found Ridgeway’s office. His secretary was dabbing tears with a handkerchief—apparently the announcement of Ridgeway’s death had preceded their arrival.
“I’m sorry,” she said. “I’m a little emotional right now.”
“We understand,” said Sam. “But if we could just ask you a few questions…”
“Yes, yes, I’m sorry.”
“Do you know if Mr. Ridgeway had any enemies, or if anyone would want to hurt him?” Sam asked.
“No, no, never. Everyone liked him.”
“Did anyone unusual come to see him recently? Someone who looked out of the ordinary?”
“Well. Now that you mention it, there was a man who came by a week or so ago. He seemed very intent on speaking with Mr. Ridgeway, but he wouldn’t say why, and he refused to identify himself. I wouldn’t let him in.”
Beckett pulled up an image from the apartment security camera on his PDA. “Was this the man?”
She looked at the picture. “Yeah, you know, that might be him. It was a long time ago though, so I can’t be sure. Sorry.”
“That’s ok, ma’am.” Beckett handed her his card. “If you remember anything else you think could help us, anything at all, don’t hesitate to call me.”
The secretary nodded, and started crying again.
“Oh, one other thing,” he said. “Could we see the last thing Mr. Ridgeway was working on?”
The secretary immediately grew more serious. “No, I’m sorry. That would require security clearance, which I’m afraid you two don’t have.”
Beckett smiled. “That’s all right ma’am, thanks anyway.”
The detectives left the office.

“So who else can we talk to?” said Beckett, as he and Sam walked down the sidewalk outside the State Department.
“All right, let’s think this through,” said Sam. “We gotta figure out why he was killed. No relatives, no problems with his staff, at least that we can discern. And the way he was killed…this seems like it came out of the blue.”
“I know. He comes home at nine with some woman, she disappears, he gets killed, then the mysterious guy shows up. Who, it appears, has been after Ridgeway for a while.” He paused for a moment. “Ok, let’s say I’m the guy who’s doing it. I’d want to know when Ridgeway was coming home, so I wouldn’t show up and he wouldn’t be there. Which means I’ve got some kind of surveillance. Maybe human surveillance?”
“You’re thinking there’s more than one of them?” Sam asked.
“At least. In fact, I’d be willing to bet Jennifer Burstedt, or whatever her name is, was the incredible disappearing woman from last night.”
“Right. So, Burstedt rents the apartment last month right above Ridgeway. She waits. Then, two days ago, they, whoever ‘they’ are, decide to go ahead with it. She picks up Ridgeway somewhere, we don’t know where yet, and brings him back home. Someone else is waiting outside the apartment building watching, and when the couple shows up and heads upstairs, radios the killer who then proceeds to do the deed.”
Beckett smiled. “Careful Sam, or you’re gonna start telling me about the second gunman on the grassy knoll.”
“I’m serious!” she said.
“No, no, I think you’re dead on. The question is, where do we go from here?”
“She had to pick him up somewhere…did he have a car?”
“Let me check…” Beckett accessed an online database with his PDA. “No, no car.”
“Then he used some other form of transportation. The metro maybe?”
“No, too low-class for him. Same for a taxi.”
“Could he have rented a limo?”
“Now there’s an idea.”

“Yeah, I drove this dude around.”
“What?” shouted Beckett.
“I said yes! I drove this guy around!”
The detectives were at a limo rental business, questioning a driver. The noise from mechanics working was so loud they could barely hear.
“Where did you take him?” asked Sam.
“I picked the dude up from the State Department over on C Street at about 7 o’clock that night. He wanted to go clubbin’, so I took him to this place in the Northwest corner. Called ‘Club Halo.’”
Beckett was taking notes. “And you got there…?”
“7:15, 7:20 maybe.”
“And then what happened?”
“Eh, he told me to wait.”
“So you waited?” asked Sam.
“Yeah. I get paid whether I drive or sit, so I waited.”
“When did he come back out?”
“A little before nine. He had some broad with him.”
“Did she look like this?” Sam asked, showing him the photo from the apartment security camera.
“Yeah,” he said, “yeah, that’s her.”
“How were they acting?”
“You know, all over each other. They each looked pretty drunk to me.”
“So where’d you take them?”
“To his apartment, on—”
“Connecticut Ave?”
“Yeah, that’s the place.”
“You ever drive Ridgeway before?”
“Every once in a while, once or twice a month maybe.”
“And where do you take him?”
“Always to some club or another. Sometimes it’s Halo, other times it’s another place called ‘Nirvana.’”
“Is it random or regular?”
“Pretty random I’d say.”
“All right, can you think of anything else that might help us?”
“Yeah, I got a question for you.”
Mastros and Beckett looked at each other. “All right,” said Sam.
“Why do you cops gotta be told everything twice?”
“What do you mean?”
“I mean, don’t you cops talk to each other? I told all this to that other detective yesterday.”
The two detectives exchanged glances.
“Aw hell,” said the limo driver, “you gotta be kidding me.”
“What did this other detective look like?” asked Beckett.
“I dunno, he was a guy, about your height, dark hair.”
“Is this him?” Sam showed him a picture of the man from the apartment.
“Yeah, that’s the guy. Are you telling me he’s not a cop?”
“Not that we’re aware of. You call us if you remember anything else, or that man comes back.”
“No problem.”

Part IV continued.

Club Halo was one of the newer establishments in the DC area. At one o’clock in the afternoon there were few people there, but both the detectives could see traces of what it must have looked like after dark. Lots of neon colors decorated the place, with modern artwork adorning the walls. The club had three levels, with a central dance floor on each level. The second and third levels each had transparent floors, as was becoming the rage in clubs.
“So who are you looking for?” asked a bartender.
“Have you seen any of these people?” Beckett showed him pictures of Ridgeway, the man, and the woman.
“Hmmm…”
“They may have been around here two nights ago.”
“Yeah, you know, I may have seen this guy,” he said, pointing to Ridgeway. “He got here pretty early, sometime after seven.”
“Did he stand out to you somehow?”
“He came straight in, sat down, and ordered three straight shots of vodka. Usually people dance that early in the evening, then get to the heavy drinking later on.”
“Had he ever been in here before?”
“I dunno, I’m pretty busy. He could have.”
“What did he do after he drank?”
“Got up and left. Didn’t see him again.”
“How about this guy?” Beckett pointed at the photo of the unknown man.
“You know, I think that guy came around here yesterday asking questions.”
“Did he say he was a cop?”
“I dunno, he didn’t talk to me. He talked to one of the other barkeeps.”
“If you think of anything else—”
“Yeah, yeah, give you a call. I got it.”
Beckett and Sam leaned on the bar as the tender left to clean glasses.
“Well, we’ve got him here in the club, and we know the woman was here somewhere.”
Beckett smiled. “You know, sometimes it pays to just sit back and admire the artwork.”
He leaned back and stared at one of the pieces on the wall. Sam followed his gaze, and saw what he was looking at. Above the painting was a security camera.
“Love those paranoid collectors,” Beckett said.

“Ok, now zoom in on the bar.”
A bouncer worked the video controls as Beckett watched. Sam was questioning the owner of the club.
“There he is.”
Ridgeway sat at the bar, downing his three vodka shots, just as the bartender described.
“Ok, now follow him.”
Ridgeway got up and left the bar, wandering the floor of the club for a few moments, weaving around dancers, before finally heading to the second floor. There he found a table, ordered another drink, and waited.
“Fast forward.”
The picture blurred as time sped up, until he was suddenly joined by a woman.
“Stop, back up. Find the woman when she enters.”
They found her entering by the third floor skyway, and mingling for about fifteen minutes before joining Ridgeway.
“Damn, she’s good.” The entire time, she never touched a thing.
When she sat down at the table, she ordered a drink, and the two appeared to converse for a considerable length of time. Ridgeway got increasingly drunk, and she barely sipped hers.
At that moment, Sam returned from talking to the owner.
“Find anything?” she asked.
“Our mystery woman is back,” said Beckett. “Did the owner have anything useful to say?”
“Nothing. He was very clear in saying that he runs a clean club and always cooperates with the police.”
“Of course.”
Eventually, Ridgeway and the woman got up, with her supporting the now unbalanced Ridgeway.
“This woman is damn good,” Beckett said. “The whole time she doesn’t touch a thing. She doesn’t want her fingerprints getting out.”
They stumbled towards the exit, where the woman discarded her drink glass. They disappeared into the night.
“Wait,” said Sam. “Back it up.”
They watched the two leave their table again, and leave the club.
“Look, right there,” Sam commanded. The woman had not left her drink glass on the table, but instead had taken it with her, and then discarded it into a trashcan.
“Where do you dump your trash?” she asked the bouncer.
“In a dumpster out back,” he responded.
“Has that dumpster been emptied since the day before yesterday?”
“Don’t think so.”
Sam looked at Beckett.
“Oh no,” he said. “You found it, you dive for it.”
Sam sighed. Damn.

“Wow, this print is almost perfectly preserved. Where did you find it?”
Sam made a face. “Trust me, you don’t want to know.”
“Well, wherever it was, I should be able to lift this perfectly.” A CSI technician studied the small drink glass Sam had fished out of the dumpster. He tapped a few keys at a computer.
“And…bingo!”
Information immediately appeared on the computer.
“A three-point match. This is your suspect.”
The print matched a woman named Natalie Shelby.
“The mystery woman appears,” said Beckett. “She’s 28, a native of Sirius Prime. She moved Earthside about five years ago, when she started working for a travel agency called Muir Travel. She got hooked up last year when an underground club she was at got raided for drugs.”
“No other criminal record?”
“None that we know of anyway.”
“I’ll call Judge Reynolds.”
Beckett downloaded the file into his PDA. “Muir Travel, here we come.”

Muir Travel had a small office on Pennsylvania Avenue, near George Washington University Hospital. Arrest warrant in hand for Natalie Shelby, Detectives Mastros and Beckett exited their car and walked straight for the entrance. When they got there, they found the door locked, and the inside dark.
“Damn,” said Beckett. “I thought we had her.”
“Wait, I think I see something,” Sam said peering inside. She saw a faint crack of light on a wall near the back of the office, as if from an open door. Suddenly they heard a scream.
“Let’s go,” said Beckett, drawing his weapon.
Sam did the same. She wrapped her hand in her sleeve, and punched through the glass of the door. She felt around inside for the lock, and turned it. Beckett kicked the door open, and ran inside with Sam close behind. He sprinted through the office, and found a door in the back. He kicked it open, and burst inside. Natalie Shelby was inside. She sat in a chair, her hands bound behind her, and tears streaming down her face. Standing over her and turning around in surprise was the man from the apartment. He had a gun in his hand. Beckett didn’t think, and fired. His shot struck the man in the right shoulder. He grunted, dropping his gun, and he sank to the floor.
Sam rushed in and freed Shelby, while Beckett rolled the man over and cuffed him.
“What the hell are you doing?” he shouted indignantly.
“You’re under arrest,” said Beckett. “Now lie still.”
“On what charge?”
“Obstruction of justice, and impersonating a police officer.”
“Obstruction of justice?!”
“Yes. You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can be used against you in a court of law…” Beckett finished reciting the man’s rights.
“Oh you two are making a huge mistake, I swear, I’ll have your badges for this,” he said.
“You keep telling yourself that pal.”
Sam quietly informed Shelby of her rights, and the detectives led the two suspects to their car.

Apparently there isn't nearly as much interest in this concept as I'd hoped, judging from the lack of replies and the low read count (the stupid "the kilrathi war" thread has more reads than I do). Therefore, I am going to cease posting new additions to the story. I'll continue working on it in private, and perhaps when I finish I'll submit it to the CIC and see if they want to host it for me.

Hey, Maestro. I'm finding it interesting, why don't you go ahead and post some more. I like the theme and I think I know where it's going...Keep posting, pal. Good fiction needs to be seen. :)

Hello again.

I stopped writing this a while ago because I didn't think there was much interest in fanfic at the time. However, I've got the writing bug again and I remembered this story. I'd imagine there are a few new people on here, as well as old friends, so if anyone wants to read the story so far and tell me what they think, if they think it's worth continuing, that would be great.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to read and comment before, maybe I'll write some more.

Maestro.

You should always write, regaurdless of what people think in negitive terns, there's always a good thing that can be taken away from a fan fiction project.

Plus, you also seem to grasp the basic idea of where you're going. Alot of people who write fanfiction seem to write in an aimless loose style. I like this story, keep it up.

-Rance-

Whoa! Been a while. Heh, sorry about teasing about starting this story again a long time ago. This time though, I've actually wrote another chunk! Yay! Hopefully this will move along the plot somewhat. Thanks for the positive feedback those of you who read and posted. I'm going to try to keep working.

Part V

“Are you ok?”
Natalie Shelby slowly nodded her head, rubbing her wrists. Her makeup was streaked from tears, and she sported a large bruise above her left eye. She and Sam were sitting in an interrogation room, coffee and a datapad resting on the table.
“We’ve arrested the man who hurt you. He’s in the hospital for the moment, after Detective Beckett shot him. We’re going to need your statement in order to charge him.”
“But you’re still arresting me.”
“Well, we’ve got a lot of things we need cleared up.”
“But you still want me to help you prosecute that other guy.”
Sam took a deep breath. “Why don’t you start by telling us what happened.”
“I was working at the travel agency, like I do most days. The guy came in, didn’t say a word, and hit me across the face with his gun. While I was trying to get up, grabbed me, tied my hands, and put me on the chair. He was starting to unbuckle his belt when you guys came in, and then I don’t really remember what happened after that.” She started to cry again. “I think he was going to rape me.”
Sam grabbed a couple more tissues and handed them to Shelby. “Well, don’t worry, he’s not going anywhere for a while.” Same moved over and sat next to Shelby. “Can you help us out by answering some questions for us?”
Shelby nodded.
“Ok, can you tell us if you ever met this man?” She showed her a picture of Ridgeway.
“Yes,” said Shelby, dabbing her eyes. “I met him a couple days ago at a club.”
“Halo.”
Shelby nodded. “We had a few drinks, he was good looking enough. We went back to his place. We, you know, had sex, then I left.”
“And how long were you there for?”
“A couple hours, probably. Why are you asking me these questions?”
“The man you met was murdered shortly after you were with him.”
Shelby visibly paled. “Oh my God…And you think I…”
“We don’t know much of what to think right now, which is why we’re talking to you.”
“I don’t know who he was, I just met him that night.”
“What were you doing at the club that night?” Sam asked.
“I’m not sure why I went. I just wanted to take a break. I don’t meet many men in my line of work.”
“Had you ever been to that apartment complex before?”
“No.”
“Uh huh…” Sam took her PDA and tapped a few commands. “Natalie, if you could answer one more question for me.”
Shelby blew her nose. “Yes?”
“Your signature from when we booked you. It matches the signature of another woman.”
Shelby froze. “Huh?”
“There was a woman who rented the apartment right next to the man who was murdered. Her name, or at least she said her name was Jennifer Burstedt. She signed a lease agreement.” Sam showed her the screen of her PDA. “Natalie, your signature matches hers.” Sam placed the PDA down on the table. “So my question is, why did you lie to me just now?”
Shelby very slowly placed the tissues down on the table. Sam saw the wounded, frightened girl melt away, replaced by something much colder.
The door to the interrogation room opened, and Lt. Jackson entered the room.
“Detective Mastros, could I see you outside for a moment?”
Sam stood up and looked down at Shelby. Her eyes were no longer tearing, and Sam instead saw a piercing cold blue glare. For the first time, she noticed a tattoo on the underside of Shelby’s wrist. It was the Confed star, but there was a knife superimposed across the star.

Mastros closed the door to the room behind her, and followed Jackson to his office.
“LT, there’s a lot more to that girl than first meets the eye. I think we’re going to have to have a much longer talk with her.”
Jackson wasn’t looking at her. “We may not get the chance,” he said.
For the first time, Sam noticed a pair of men standing in Jackson’s office. Detective Beckett was with them. “Detective Mastros, these are Lieutenant Commanders Johnson and Benson. They’re from the Office of Naval Intelligence. They’d like to have a few words with you.”
“What’s this about?” Beckett asked.
Lt. Cmdr. Benson spoke first. “Detective, you’re lucky you aren’t under arrest right now for attempted murder.”
“And why is that?”
“You shot a Confed intelligence officer.”
“Excuse me?” both Beckett and Mastros said simultaneously.
“Not only that, but both of you are guilty of obstruction of justice and interfering with an ONI counterintelligence investigation.”
“Would you care to explain why you’re accusing my detectives of felonies?”
“Unfortunately Lieutenant, the details of the investigation are classified, highest possible clearance.”
Johnson then spoke. “We are here to tell you that you have been ordered to cease and desist your investigation into John Ridgeway’s death immediately, and turn over to us all evidence that has been collected, including witnesses and suspects in custody.”
“Wait a minute,” said Mastros. “You can’t just—”
“I assure you we most certainly can, Detective Mastros. You shouldn’t even have been pursuing this investigation in the first place, let alone making arrests. As we said before, you’re lucky we aren’t pressing charges.” Benson withdrew a letter from his coat and placed it on Jackson’s desk.
“This is a letter from your chief backing up what we just told you, as well as an authorization directly from the Director of the Office of Naval Intelligence. Take your issues up with them.”
“We will,” said Beckett.
“And I wish you luck,” replied Johnson. “Listen, for everyone’s sake, just let this one go. It’s beyond you.” The two picked up their coats and hats. “Thank you for your time Lt. Jackson, we’ll be going now, along with the woman you have in interrogation.”
Sam watched the two leave, taking Shelby with them. The woman looked back at the detectives, the same look in her eyes. This isn’t over, thought Sam. Not by a long shot.

unfortunately this sounds just like some counter intel types i have met, all balls no brains. The smart intel guy gets the local cops to help as much as they can let them because this clears their time for handling the more sensitive stuff. all in all good writing

Back