Trouble with Wing Commander 2 controls/picking things up

Icedagger

Spaceman
Hello, I'm playing Wing Commander 2 for the very first time, and although I've played both WC1 and Prophecy, I seem to be having trouble with something in a mission of mine. For those of you who've played the game, it's the mission where I'm supposed to go rescue some courier ship that gets blown up as soon as I get there. They fire off the information in a capsule, and after I dispatch the enemies in the area, I go to where the capsule is. What do I do now? I assume I'm supposed to pick it up and take it back to the Concordia, but I don't know how to do it. I already messed up the "rescue Stingray" mission because of the same kind of thing, and I don't want to do it again. Thanks!

I think you are supposed to tractor beam that thing in by going to the rear turret and selecting the tractor beam, then get within about 50 meters from it and tractor away! Been quite awhile since I played thru WC2, so I might be a little off on this.

RFBurns

Reading the manual usually helps in cases like this. Of course if you don't have the manual...

Good thing they gave you an intro to tractor beams in one of the pre-flight 'briefings' in WC4.

I have a question: could you blow up the ejected pilot/capsule you were supposed to retrieve, if, by mistake, you forgot to switch to tractor beam and fired neutron guns?! :eek:

I read that in the guide (by Mike Harrison), some pilot did that and blasted away his best friend, but I don't think it was enabled in the game, was it? :)

"Not possible, Ace"

But what I can do if I want to screw the game is (you need EMS) tractor in something, switch to guns, and start blasting. The object being pulled in will push your ship for a bit, but once you stop, you can tractor it in again. Then, every ship you see after has a tractor 'bubble' in the middle. Including the Concordia! Looks very strange.

Thanks for all the help, everyone. As you may have guessed, I don't have the manual. I figured it out, though, after pushing the various F keys (F1, F2, etc...). I'm bidding for the deluxe edition on eBay, though, and I think that has online documentation (I think...).

I don't think so, but LOAF will have to confirm that, though. My 'deluxe' version had a separate paper manual. Minus the Freedom Flight preview. :(

There are *lots* of Deluxe versions -- the large blue boxed ones will have printed manuals... others won't.

Who knows about all that, as I am getting it off of eBay. It may have originally come with a paper manual (which I would prefer), but on eBay, items are often incomplete. I'll just be glad if I get the game CD.

Thanks for the manual! Yes, I could have asked, but I really didn't care. The only reason I wanted WC2 is because I'm also getting 3 and 4 (I kind of went on a Wing Commander buying frenzy) and I wanted the story. Plus, it's really cheap.

Originally posted by Supdon3
I dont need the data! Just want to read the Streak!

ARGH! Don't you get it Supdon? TC was referring to the game manuals... :)

By saying "And get your own fricken WC3 data!", he means it's not available yet...
(unless someone puts Victory Streak in a PDF file... :))

Read Armada's "Voices of War". A lot of information about the Kilrathi is the same as the psychological profile from VS. The history is in there too, I assume the Lexington SO was what the Top Secret Transfer at Goddard Station was referring to at the end of the History in VS.

I've been too lazy up to this point to do VS, it's probably the worst format for webicizing because each page has a slightly different layout... there's a pdf of VoW around somewhere now that jetlag did, and I put the weird version of VoW OSI released on the CD version up somewhere.

TC

Back