Trouble Getting the High-res Movies to Work with Prophecy

St_Eddie

Spaceman
Hi all,
I'm hoping someone here might be able to help me out. I've recently been replaying the Wing Commander series and have now reached 'Prophecy'. I was very happy to see that high-resolution movies were available to download. I can't get them to work, however!

I've followed the instructions laid out on this site to a tee...

* I downloaded the 3 movie packs and unpacked them into a folder called "movie", within my "C:\Games\Prophecy" folder.

* I unzipped the 'enhancement pack' (along with the Vista upgrade).

* I copied over the 'VOB patch'.

.... Now when I start up the game, it will crash to the desktop whenever it attempts to play a movie, with the following standard windows error message; "prophecy.exe has stopped working".

It may be worth noting that I'm running the game off the original 3-CD release (UK version) and if I delete the "movie" folder (containing the hi-res movie files), the game runs fine (though with the original low quality movies, obviously).

I've tried changing from Glide to Direct X (with a few different resolutions) by using the 'enhancement pack' but sadly to no avail.

I also downloaded the mpeg decoder and unzipped it into my game folder and have tried turning subtitles on and off. Nothing is working.

I'd greatly appreciate it if somebody could help me to figure this out. It would be such a shame to go back to highly compressed movies, after so recently enjoying the sheer beauty of the DVD edition of WC4!

By the way, my system specs are as follows...

Windows 8.1 (64-bit)
Intel Pentium CPU G3258 3.20GHz (dual core)
8GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti

Many thanks,
Ed

Make sure you have set the compatability mode on both the launcher and the game exe. Also I'm not sure what you mean by "vista patch". This sounds like something you should not have installed on top of the enhancement pack and is likely breaking something.

From a clean install you should do the following: Download the Enhancement Pack: https://www.wcnews.com/wcpedia/Enhancement_Pack (needed to run the DVD videos and also adds a simple multiplayer mode). Unzip this into your prophecy install directory but don't run any of the executables.

Copy all the dvd video packs into a directory within your prophecy install called "movie" ( which you did)

Finally, install the openGL patch . This will enhance the starfields and other graphics and let you set the game resolution.

That should be it (aside from installing needed mpeg and AC3 decoders).

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm, I seem to be having trouble with this too. I'm trying to run the GOG version of Prophecy with the enhancement pack.

When I execute the steps that AD outlines above and try running Prophecy, it asks me to Insert CD#1 as soon as the game tries to execute.

Obviously, I don't have the CDs. The game runs fine with the vanilla install, but the movies are obviously terrible.

Other relevant piece of data is that I am running Windows 10.

Anyone have any thoughts on how to fix this?

Back