TREMAN and Win 7 x64.

-danr-

Vice Admiral
Right, so I've stumbled into my first ever compatibility issue under Windows 7 - Treman, the useful TRE extraction and viewing utility from Mario Brito.

The program had been just fine under 32-bit XP, but due to the way it needs to be executed could only be run at the simulated command prompt within the Win environment.

Now in Win7 (which still has that pseudo dos CMD programme) I just get a message saying the app won't run under a 64 bit OS. I think the message is from Windows rather than from HCI himself. Have tried DOSbox to no avail, so...anyone got any suggestions?

The PC:
Win 7 x64 home edition
Intel dual-core i5-650 (3.20 GHz)
6gb RAM
800GB HDD.

If you have 7 pro you might be able to use the xp mode? or use virtualpc (or virtualbox) to run xp inside win7 and run it that way.

Thanks. I don't have Win 7 Pro, unfortunately, but I'm now reading up on the other leads you mentioned.

I've never used Treman, but I have tried to run the WC1 ship editor that is hosted here under Win7. It is also a 16-bit program. No luck.

I think Windows 7 just won't run 16-bit software. Win XP (which is natively 32 bit) could handle 16 or 32 bit, but Win 7, which is natively 64 bit, seems to lack the backwards compatibility to go all the way back to 16 bit.

DosBox doesn't help either, nor does running the software in "compatibility mode".

I have yet to find a piece of emulation software which lets you run 16-bit executables under Windows 7. If anyone comes across it, let me know.

Otherwise, the options seem to be keeping a second computer with at most WinXP installed, setting up a dual boot partition, or having HCl to re-compile his software. None of them seem particularly appetizing.

I have successfully run Treman in the past on a Win7 64-bit machine, but it was so far in my dark past that I don't remember how I managed to do it. That being said, I'm sitting at my Win7 64-Bit machine right now and can see all the uncompressed files in my Secret Ops directory, so I know it must be possible. (I'm not running pro, either, I think I'm on home Premium).

Really dosbox doesn't solve it? - thats something really bizarre, i'll have a check later on (in my xp boot now) but that seems like the very thing dosbox is designed TO do!

So it seems that the flaw in running it in dosbox is not 64bit specific; just an issue with the way dosbox supports dpmi (syndicate also has this problem) basically, you just need to stick a little exe in there to 'fix er up'! (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CWSDPMI and here http://www.grabner-online.de/sed-faq/html/ar01s05s05.html) It seems that the developer's site is down at least for CWSDPMI, but copies of that and the older CSDPMI (both of which are fine for dosbox use as you don't need that pesky 4gb of ram support etc!) are available all over the web. - the 2nd link has a binary for CSDPMI*B.

Just copy "CWSDPMI.EXE" into the folder with treman and off you go.

Note that this will only fix the problem if treman reports back with:
"Load Error: no DPMI - Get csdpmi*b.zip"

If it reports back with saying that it won't run under windows 64bit then try in dosbox :p

Madman - it worked! I'd never have seen that, this also means I can play Theme Hospital again - thank you so much fellow Brit!

- A happy southerner.

For new Standoff missions, mostly - I've been working on a Landreich campaign for ages, but was side tracked last year - I've still got all the data but a new computer, with TREMAN working I can basically get straight back to it now :)

Back