Transfer an existing personnel file (WC2 - GOG Release)

centaurianmudpig

Rear Admiral
I'm trying to do the savegame trasfer from WC1 to WC2 to copy over my character but it wont let me do it for some reason. Given that the path to the save game is very long, I tried moving the WC folder shorter location, but the WC2 transfer option does not recognise it. Anyone else had this issue and know how to correct it?

I'm trying to do the savegame trasfer from WC1 to WC2 to copy over my character but it wont let me do it for some reason. Given that the path to the save game is very long, I tried moving the WC folder shorter location, but the WC2 transfer option does not recognise it. Anyone else had this issue and know how to correct it?
I've definitely had problems with wc2 in the past not liking paths longer than c:\wing. Certainly it won't handle spaces!

I moved the folder to what it gives an example of in the transfer option, no joy. Probably due to paths assigned by DosBox, since it does emulate 'stuff'.

Well, I just copied the savegame.wld file from the wing commander 1 gamedat folder and copied it into the root location of wing commander 2 folder. Fire up WC2, select the transfer program, and enter c:\ as the directory to find the savegame. Now I have to decide if its worth redoing the 10 missions I have already flown :/

Oops, didnt see the gog bit there! Yeah Gog's release probably mounts that drive as C:\ so you won't see anything else on the drive.

However, since the game is the same, you could just load up the game in your own copy of dosbox, transfer the pilot in there and then use the GOG loader again.

To transfer a saved game from WC1 to WC2:

Copy the WC directory to the WC2 directory (i.e. copy it to wherever the WC2.exe is).

Start a new game in WC2, and transfer a pilot.
When the game asks for a path, it will be: C:\WC\GAMEDAT

(This is the path in emulated DOS - not the actual path on your drive.)

It will then list all the savegames found, and ask you to pick one.

To transfer a saved game from WC1 to WC2:
Copy the WC directory to the WC2 directory (i.e. copy it to wherever the WC2.exe is).
I mentioned ealier something similar (3rd post), without the drastic act of coping the entire directory you just need to copy the savegame.wld file. Which you probably overlooked as I edited it after with how I sorted it.

I mentioned ealier something similar (3rd post), without the drastic act of coping the entire directory you just need to copy the savegame.wld file. Which you probably overlooked as I edited it after with how I sorted it.

This worked perfectly for WC1 to Wc2, so thanks, but I tried to do the same with Secret Missions 2 Crusade, and it couldn't find the file.

Any idea how to get around this?

This worked perfectly for WC1 to Wc2, so thanks, but I tried to do the same with Secret Missions 2 Crusade, and it couldn't find the file.

Any idea how to get around this?

Hey, I'm pretty sure SM1 and SM2 have specific pilot transfer programs -- transfer.exe and transfer2.exe, specifically -- that you have to run against your save file. Then they become loadable in SM1 or SM2.

EDIT: Might add, though, that supposedly this renders the save unloadable in the game you're transferring from, so it might be prudent to do the transfer on a copy.

Hey, I'm pretty sure SM1 and SM2 have specific pilot transfer programs -- transfer.exe and transfer2.exe, specifically -- that you have to run against your save file. Then they become loadable in SM1 or SM2.

EDIT: Might add, though, that supposedly this renders the save unloadable in the game you're transferring from, so it might be prudent to do the transfer on a copy.

Yeah, I had no problems with transferring from WC1 to SM1 to SM2, but I can't transfer SM2 to WC2. It just won't find the file no matter where I copy and paste the save.

Anyone know if it's possible to transfer a pilot from WC2 to Special Ops 1? I don't seem to be able to find a transfer program like SM1 & 2 have

Back