Tolwyn saying Black Lance may pray in Price of Freedom

Status
Not open for further replies.
PenderMillsap said:
In the novel Wing Commander: The Price of Freedom at the Axius base in his speech Admiral Tolwyn tells the Black Lance personnel may pray. I was wondering if Tolwyn was encouraging prayer as a way to get the Black Lance to not be a totally evil bunch of soldiers. Benedictions are positive prayers and Tolwyn might've wanted the Black Lance to pray as a way of maintaing good order and discipline - a way to counter the negativity done by delivering the DRT canisters.

You're a certified nut, but I think you know that.

Maj.Striker said:
Not necessarily, there are Christian Evolutionists...I don't follow their philosophy but there are some definitely out there.

The Vatican has no problem with evolution. I learned it on a catholic school. That's not even remotely the issue.

It's Tolwyn's unscientific and twisted interpretation of evolution that is the problem. Evolution, on itself, has nothing to do with theology. However, when it gets mixed with materialism, some very nasty things begins to happen. Historically, more than one idelogy used evolution as a justification for atrocities.

If they believe in their own insanity is not really relevant.

I would tend to disagree with you a great deal there. I am not an Evolutionist or a Catholic but I doubt very much that the Vatican officially embraces the idea that the universe was created randomly in a big bang. Sure they might believe in the fact that the human race can evolve in a higher sentient being but most of the principles of Evolution are at odds with your typical orthodox Roman Catholic.

The Pope has clearly stated that there's no problem or incompatibility with the theory of evolution. Christians have absolutely nothing to fear from science.

There’s no need to, but we can make some questions. The whole beneficial random mutations thing seems more like wild guessing, as there has NEVER been a record of such thing. In fact, known mutations are either useless or harmful. Even more interesting is that "natural selection" seems to be a great mechanism to improve and stabilize races as they are, being more a force against change than for it. In other words, it can make better cars, but it can’t make a car turn into an airplane.

All of this, however, is of no metaphysical relevance. The theory of evolution is not, in any way, incompatible with Christian faith. In fact, is someone is using evolution to "justify" their atheism, they are doing a very bizarre and unscientific thing - which is their right, of course. Even very pro-evolution websites like talk.origins seem to acknowledge that.

The materialism that sometimes comes attached with darwinism is a completely different thing. While they pretend it to be the same, materialists can have a very fanatical faith of their own. It's also completely baseless, regardless of their taste for using pseudoscientific lingo. In other words, materialism is as scientific as star trek technobabble. If it's your cup of tea, it's fine, people have free wil. But it's not honest to try to make it look like all Christians are against science, while it’s them who are twisting science to justify their worldview.

For example, for centuries, materialists had a belief that the universe have existed forever on its current form, while Christians believed it had a beginning, and came to the current form after a gradual process.

Another thing, what is an "Evolutionist"? Someone who beleives in evolution? Someone that doesn't dismiss it? Someone who studies it?

If you mean people who beleive evolution somehow "proves" materialism, that's really not an evolutionist.

well, you can doubt all you want, the Catholic church has stated more than once that it does not conflict with scientifical belief. And, personally, the big bang sounds a lot like something a God would do.

BTW, this issue is a pet peeve of Delance. expect a loooot of blah blah from him.

AD said:
As far as the Black lance are concerned, they are still humans... Its possible that many of them still needed to be convinced that there actions were "right". I don't remember the quote and don't have the book so it's also likely merely used as a metaphor.

He says cry not pray and a few paragraphs earlier he mentions that some of Black Lances have qualms about delivering the canisters.

Edfilho said:
And, personally, the big bang sounds a lot like something a God would do.

Indeed it does, no wonder there's so much resistence.

Edfilho said:
BTW, this issue is a pet peeve of Delance. expect a loooot of blah blah from him.

Yeah, it seems both sides seems to strongly agree with each other that evolution is some sort of battleground. The moderates just know it's of no relevance at all.

I understand it's some sort of "cultural battle" on this, but it's simply inadequate to try to attack/defend faith based on evolution. Trying to deny evolution should be more of a fun sport, like Phoebe on Friends.

RogueBanshee said:
He says cry not pray and a few paragraphs earlier he mentions that some of Black Lances have qualms about delivering the canisters.

It can be hard to get people to commit atrocities, but Tolwyn seemed to be able to do that job.

Delance said:
Yeah, it seems both sides seems to strongly agree with each other that evolution is some sort of battleground. The moderates just know it's of no relevance at all.
Hmm, that reminds me of a funny article I read the other day on BBC News Online. You know how last week they'd found these skeletal remains in Indonesia, of what they believe to be a 3ft-tall (err, 3ft-short) species of humans? Anyway, this relatively-well-known anthropologist, Desmond Morris, wrote an op-ed about how this discovery absolutely must be the end of religion. Hehe.

Perhaps my last statement was the most stupid thing anyone had heard for a while but lets face it, that is what the rest of the world thinks. Look at the amount of support that Bush had from the hardline christian states who believe in carrying guns, no abortion and banning single sex marriages. I mean in some parts of America sex before marriage is illegal and sleeping with 14 year old girls is not.

Hmm, seems to a lot of people that Christian Fundamentalism is on the way up and is a formidable force. At least Islam does not have a huge nuclear arsenal and millions of troops, and with bush in charge I am moving to the moon.

I pity the black watch, they are more worried about being shot by friendlies than anyone else.

Best to bite your lip. Whining over the most obvious of asthetics on this board really doesn't win you anything close to praise.

climber said:
Perhaps my last statement was the most stupid thing anyone had heard for a while but lets face it, that is what the rest of the world thinks.
Eh, it's probably not worthwhile discussing this with you (especially in a thread which happens to not be in the off-topic zone), so, I'll just respond to this one bit:
I mean in some parts of America sex before marriage is illegal and sleeping with 14 year old girls is not.
Whoa. You're a fucking genius. I don't know if there are indeed parts of America where sex before marriage is illegal, but if there are, I'm pretty damn certain that, like the rest of America (and the world!), they legally restrict marriage to parters above the age of 16 (or 18, it varies from place to place). Therefore, sleeping with 14 year old girls is illegal by definition, as you cannot marry them.

(by the way, "let's face it, everyone agrees with me" is an argument most commonly used by people when they have no real arguments backing them up, as certainly seems to be the case here)

@ Climber

Maybe you're right, christian fundamentalism is on the way up. But at least Christian fundamentalists don't slice your neck in the middle of Amsterdam because you made a movie in which you address how Muslims treat their wives. (as happened in Holland yesterday)

I'm not religious. But I think that people in Europe should start thinking and stop whining about America (and Bush).

And, personally, the big bang sounds a lot like something a God would do.

All I know is that whenever I get bored it’s fun to pop bubble-wrap.:)

Fundamentalism is the worst thing that can happend to the humans race evulution.

Extinction ranks first with me.

Look at the amount of support that Bush had from the hardline christian states. . . .

Certainly there are conservative states, but the term “christian states” is a misnomer.

Do you people sit around and consciously decide what the stupidest way you can get a thread closed is? Or are you just all naturally really really dumb? Generic teenage religion and politics internet rant in the *Wing Commander* forum?

If I weren't so lazy I'd set all your postcounts to zero for this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back