Time question

Deadman_ny

Spaceman
We have BC and AD. Time counted backwards bofore the birth of Christ roughly 2008 years ago. Up to then the calender year ran backwards. Now did people back then count their years backwards aswell? In BC the calender counted down...75, 74, 73, 72 till we reached AD then it went 1,2,3...2008. Did the people of that day count down to 0. See what I mean?

No, the current system wasn't used until the middle ages -- and the 'BC' aspect didn't show up until the Renaissance. Before (and during and still even today on occasion) time was measured in regnal years... ie, the Xth year of a specific King's reign.

It's starts at the beginning of wing commander wouldn't it?

So it's the year 18 'WC'
But shouldn't it start at the beginning of LOAF's rein. 15 'AF' (after loaf)

_________
The inner machinations of my mind are an enigma

But shouldn't it start at the beginning of LOAF's rein. 15 'AF' (after loaf)

I'm fairly certain peasents didn't use abreviations. If they were in a good mood it was probably something like "It's the 15th year of King LOAFs glorious reign."

Long live King LOAF (lest we have to start the date all over again).

Before Christianity became widespread, there was certainly no reason to reckon dates in relation to Christ. The Romans (and the early Christians) reckoned the date using the "Anno Mundi" ("year of the world") system, counting years from the supposed date of Creation.

Back