TIE Fighter, Collector's CD-ROM!

MattJM

Spaceman
Greetings!
Long time fan of this site and a huge fan of this type of game as well as Wing Commander! I loved the origional TIE Fighter collector's CD-ROM with the old, old music and the slightly enhanc ed graphics so much, but could not play it on newer machines. When the new TIE FIGHTER Collector's CD came out in the late 90's I was so happy to see the XWing Vs TIE Fighter graphics, but was saddened to see the music was no more!
Is there a mod, somwhere out there on the internet that will allow me to modify the latest TIE Fighter game to play the old music?

Thanks,
Matt

Greetings!
Long time fan of this site and a huge fan of this type of game as well as Wing Commander! I loved the origional TIE Fighter collector's CD-ROM with the old, old music and the slightly enhanc ed graphics so much, but could not play it on newer machines. When the new TIE FIGHTER Collector's CD came out in the late 90's I was so happy to see the XWing Vs TIE Fighter graphics, but was saddened to see the music was no more!
Is there a mod, somwhere out there on the internet that will allow me to modify the latest TIE Fighter game to play the old music?

Thanks,
Matt
I'm afraid to say there isn't. The midi music from the original tie fighter was not included with the collectors cdrom version.

You can play the old Collectors CD version with DosBox - it runs ok if it is a bit laggy on older machines. D-Fend is a graphical GUI for Dosbox that I find very user-friendly (if you're not happy with command-line operations in dosbox).

Its very tricky to install - I managed it with many trial-and-error techniques, but once you get through that its all bananas.

You should look for the TIE Fighter Total Conversion for X-Wing Alliance too. It requires some sort of original copy of the game TIE Fighter, but will let you play the game with the graphics engine from XWA.

Great game! I just to play it a lot in the past. Should fix my game port so i can play with a joystick again though, with a mouse is nothing but trouble.

EDIT: wait a minute, where did my Lt-Col rank went to?

Ah yes, i see i went from cadet to captain in one post. Nice haha.

Back to topic: anyone ever achieved the rank of General in the game? I never got passed Commander (and that rank is hard to get as well!). I really need to get a new sound card (or something that allows me to use my joystick again) so i can play flight sims again!

Back to topic: anyone ever achieved the rank of General in the game? I never got passed Commander

Many, many, many times in X-Wing Collector's CD. TIE Fighter was a superior game but I didn't play it as much for some reason; I do remember finishing it more than once though.

Yes, playing trough Battle 1-13 in normal dificulty you have enough points to reach General before finishing the game.

Ask and ye shall receive. I redid the music for TIE Fighter's intro, and a fellow by the name of Abdul-Haseeb Ahmad contacted me through my youtube page. We got together and totally revamped all the music (well, I did, anyway). Abdul magicked up a way to have the new music play (no iMuse, unfortunately, but this is the next best thing), and a guy named Pete Jatz worked some wonders on the Tie95 .exe to include the music that was left out of the Windows version. You can find the initial release (sans the altered .exe; that's coming a bit later, but I can send it to anyone who wants it, along with instructions) on Abdul's SavingContent page at:

http://www.savingcontent.com/2012/0...windows-7-with-an-xbox-360-controller/?page=7

In a few weeks, I'll have the X-Wing music redone too (halfway through at the moment), and that will be that. Enjoy!

You can see the mod in action here:

Ask and ye shall receive. I redid the music for TIE Fighter's intro, and a fellow by the name of Abdul-Haseeb Ahmad contacted me through my youtube page. We got together and totally revamped all the music (well, I did, anyway). Abdul magicked up a way to have the new music play (no iMuse, unfortunately, but this is the next best thing), and a guy named Pete Jatz worked some wonders on the Tie95 .exe to include the music that was left out of the Windows version. You can find the initial release (sans the altered .exe; that's coming a bit later, but I can send it to anyone who wants it, along with instructions) on Abdul's SavingContent page at:

http://www.savingcontent.com/2012/0...windows-7-with-an-xbox-360-controller/?page=7

In a few weeks, I'll have the X-Wing music redone too (halfway through at the moment), and that will be that. Enjoy!

You can see the mod in action here:

I really, really liked the deluxe edition, added SVGA graphics, and had full support and custom soundfonts for the GUS. All in all, the Imuse music system worked perfectly here, and Tie95 did not add anything except textures.

Oh damn you, watching this video i just realized how much i actually liked the Tie Fighter music, now i have to go and install that old game again. That said, i really prefer the old goraud shading engine over those washy XvT textures.

I think I must be the only one in the world who appreciated the upgrade to XvT. But then again, maybe that's just because XvT was Win95 based, and so it gives me hope that some day I'll finally get back to X-Wing and finish that darned B-Wing expansion?

(here's the thing, y'see - when I finally bought all the X-Wing series games, pretty much all at once, in 2002, I had only previously played X-Wing, and never finished it. So, I promised myself that I would play all of them in sequence. I never finished the X-Wing addons. Which means... yes, you understand correctly. It means I have never really played Tie Fighter, not XvT (not that there's much to be played there), nor XWA...)

*GASP* So that is your dark secret! :D

I have it the other way round: I always wanted to own and play X-Wing (I only played it at a friend's dad's computer once or twice), I just never got it. Then I missed TF and XvT because I played other games at that time (I guess Wing Commander or something :D) and my PC was too bad, I don't remember exactly, and then I finally bought XWA because it was a space game and it was released shortly after I got a new PC to play a new game in maximum quality. And loved it. Played it a lot so it is the only game of the series I own.

Kinda got my copy of the collector's edition X-Wing a little late, so I never did finish the B-Wing expansion either. I remember it being a right bastard to fly, especially if you were trying to use your ion cannons to hit anything.

Tie Fighter...got the collector's edition on that one, made it all the way from the beginning to the end without a guidebook to assist me. That's probably the only game I can make that claim to and I say it proudly. I rocked the Dark Side. Absolutely loved flying the Missile Boat...something about having the capability of taking down an Imperial Star Destroyer solo just radiates awesomeness. The cannons sucked on it, of course, but that was pretty much its only real downside, IMHO.

I seem to recall that taking out a Star Destroyer was disconcertingly easy in X-Wing... because you could just knock out the shield towers with torpedoes in your first pass, then disable it with ion cannons in your second.

I seem to recall that taking out a Star Destroyer was disconcertingly easy in X-Wing... because you could just knock out the shield towers with torpedoes in your first pass, then disable it with ion cannons in your second.

True, but in the missile boat you kill fleets in under a minute, the craft was so ridicously powerfull it made WC's Lance/Dragon appear balanced... The all-powerfull missile boat is abandoned later on in the add-on packs, and you go back to T/A(TIE advanced).

TIE fighter does have a "bug", you can add any ordnance to any slot. So yes, the flimsy little TIE fighter can be fitted with either 2 "concussion missiles", that barely scratch the paint of an X-wing, or 2 "heavy bombs", enabling you to fly in close, drop the bombs and nailing a Nebulon B frigate in one shot(or crippling a calamari cruiser), with a single TIE(and yes, you can get re-armed)..

TIE fighter also appears to have some form of branching, since if you don't destroy ships they might remain or come back later in the campaign.

True, but only in a Y-Wing or B-Wing (the other craft didn't have ion cannons). It was a real challenge to take them out in an X-Wing and doing it in an A-Wing was a mark of absolute insanity...

Back