Thought experiment

Death

gh0d (Administrator)
For those of you that don't know, I have a LiveJournal account. Yesterday, a friend of mine on my friends list posted this query, which got me thinking about "what if?"s.

Anyhow, the following question was inspired by that line of thinking:

If you had the ability to go back to any point in time in your life, and tell your past self one thing, what point would you go back to, and what would you tell your past self?

You can go back to any point from your birth to today (Sep 21, 2002), and tell your past self one thing, then go back to the present time. The changes on the "now" caused by telling that one thing will be ignored, for the sake of argument. Temporal paradoxes give me a headache.

And, please, put a sock in it if you're just going to post to say that what X said is stupid, that Y shouldn't have even gotten to the "birth" point, or anything of that nature. Yes, I'm saying this to the other admins and the CZ moderators, too. For a change I'm actually being totally serious.

First Option:
When i was in 5th or 6th ( i can´t remember, i was 11 or 12 years old ) in school (88-89)
I commited my only vandalism act in my life, i entered in the pottery-artistic class room, and broke many sculptures, paintings and other things....just because a girl asked it to me.

Second Option:
Before entering to the University...boy, if i knew that my career is so hard. (at least for me)

First Option:
Tell myself to buy wing Commander Armada when i saw it in stores. Why didn't i buy it i do not know but that was a mistake i like to correct.

I think an easy one for most people who've had a family member die would choose to go back and tell about that. If not to prevent the death, then to be able to say last goodbyes that have been missed.

Wing Commander Armada? You can buy that for $4.99 on eBay.

The thing in the LiveJournal about being of the opposite gender... I once reflected that I may have a somewhat feminine personality, if only because I'm not a very aggressive sort of person. (Please, no drag queen references, etc.)

As for being able to tell myself one thing in the past, I have often thought about it because it is about something very personal which hurt me very much, so I know exactly what I'd do. [Following from the first paragraph, I'm can also very sentimental, taking things in life far too seriously.] Fortunately, I haven't (yet) had anyone very close to me die, so I don't have any lost 'goodbyes', but we all die (physically, at least) sooner or later anyway.

I'd probably learn bass guitar a lot earlier or tell myself that I wouldn't know what real love was until after school so I should save myself the bother of wasting my time.

Wow... this is a very hard question...

I guess I'd probably go back to before 8th grade (only a few years for me... I'm only a junior now). That year I got mixed into lots of trouble with a girl that's still plauging me now. I guess I'd tell myself to watchout for it.... act at a later time, and keep my big mouth shut. Either that or tell myself the composing/musical knowledge I've gathered since so I can improve my writing/playing more.

Not so deep, but I'm still pretty young. Not too much has happened in my life yet for me to have something major to want to tell myself.

Here's one o' mine, WC-style:

...I'd go back & tell m'self 'bout WC:KS. I bought it for $20 at a local EB store, brought it home, read the doc's, and...promptly returned it for a refund. D'OH!!!

...I wasn't yet running Win9x on my machine, I don't think, and I reasoned that if I take a pass now, I could go back in a coupla years and find it for about $5 in a bargain bin somewhere. If only I knew then what I know now... ARRGGGHHHHHH!!?&%^$#@(!@)#@!!!...

ACK!!! GAAAAAH!

::Shmacks self upside the head::

I'd fix one particular romantic relationship from either ending better or never happening in the first place, I'm unsure which.

Originally posted by Preacher
ACK!!! GAAAAAH!

::Shmacks self upside the head::

No! Please! Allow me.

SCHWACK!!!

I'd go back, and say to myself: "Self, don't marry that bitch!"

I think an easy one for most people who've had a family member die would choose to go back and tell about that. If not to prevent the death, then to be able to say last goodbyes that have been missed.
Man, that one hit a little too close to home. :(

I'll go with August 19, 1990. Tell myself "WATCH OUT FOR THAT CAR!!!"

Originally posted by Ripper

No! Please! Allow me.

SCHWACK!!!
I'd go back, and say to myself: "Self, don't marry that bitch!"

Originally posted by Preacher

Sorry, but I prefer "shmack". It's just so much more satisfyin'....

Originally posted by Ripper
"As you wish."

*:|SHMACK!!!|:*

Glad to be of assistance.:D

Is this necessary?
This is the Off-Topic Zone, not the *Let´s do stupid things,because we are stupid* Zone

Originally posted by Ghost
Is this necessary? This is the Off-Topic Zone, not the *Let´s do stupid things,because we are stupid* Zone

<Insert joke about Ghost here>

Please stop ruining Death's well-intentioned thread.

Now, I know he should have known better than to involve the CZ in a *thought* experiment... but still... knock it off.

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
...Now, I know he should have known better than to involve the CZ in a *thought* experiment... but still... knock it off.

As you wish.

Still, I ain't heard no replies to my initial response, wherein I had KS IN my MITTS and I actually let it go. Anyone else have any such (WC-related) regret moments?...

Back in time

If I could go back I would tell myself that love in high school is not that serious and to kick back and have fun. She won't be that pretty in 10 years.

Also to stop farting off in algebra and geometry. I will be thankfull in the future.

I got my Kilrathi Saga the week it came out... and I have the scars to prove it! From a story I call... KILRATHI SAGA KICKED MY ASS!

{4Dfx Card Time Distortion Effect}

I remember that it was a Thursday, because there was to be a new ER that night. I must have been a sophmore in High School. I was coming home from the doctors office, and I was angry. I had to have more surgery the next morning. I was angry. And ace had gotten his Kilrathi Saga on Tuesday. We'd both ordered from EA Direct, we'd both spent money for overnight shipping... and ace had gotten his long before me. And it couldn't have helped that I was a stupid teenager. I was dashed angry.

But it had to be there today! Despite all my other horrible problems, Kilrathi Saga would be there! Sweet escape from all my troubles in the form of a wonderful new manual (I couldn't play the game -- this was 1996, no one could). It would be wonderful... I ran from the car to the door and there, taped to the door, was the dreaded UPS 'We missed you!' note. EA's damnable shipping policy had overulled the notes we'd left and the waiver we'd signed. Damn, damn, damn! I hit the plastic screen door...

... except it wasn't plastic, it was glass. And it shattered all over my arm. So I ended up in the hospital a night early, getting a whole mess of stitches.

Damn Kilrathi Saga.

To her credit, my mom tracked down the package the next morning before it left to be delivered and had it to me before I went under the knife.

(Of course, I don't really regret any of this... so I wouldn't change it... I haven't figured out how to answer Death's question yet).

Back