This is off topic, if you don't like SW, don't read.

In reply to Frosty's post, I liked the movie, except it didn't have the look of the original three. When i watched the original three for the first time, without the enhanced versions they have out now, I loved it, and once I got the SWTSE for Christmas, I was thrilled, and have watched god knows how many times, over the fact that the movie looked so good, and yet was on such a low budget and time frame, that it was amazing. In E1, they had the money, the technology, etc, and it just didn't give me that SW tingle in the back of my mind like the first three do.

------------------
Member of the Blacklance HQ
HTML Assistant: WC Space Command
When I'm in the cockpit, Knight never falls.

The reason Anakin's childish is because he's a * kid *. Amidala's not interested in him yet. His childishness is meant to emphasize that he's special. At nine years of age he's winning pod races, destroys the command ship allowing the good guys to win & is accepted for Jedi training when he shouldn't be. Pretty impressive.
Also Phantom Menace isn't finished. There are 2 more movies to be made before the saga is finished.
It's just like Prophecy. Awww it doesn't have a good storyline. The bugs aren't developed - we know nothing about them. The characters are flat & uninteresting. Well that's because the sagas not done. Ever notice that the bugs weren't completely destroyed at the end of WCP & WCPSO? There was no final "And the Confederation lived happily ever after" at the end. There's more to be said & in time it will be.

Exactly.

And IMO, SWE1:TPM, was more of a StarWars movie than RotJ... I loved the focus on the Jedi.

------------------
Hats off to the new-age hairstyle made of bones,
Hats off to the use of hats as megaphones...

-Frosty

Knight:Was the cantina scene with Han and Chewy the one where Han runs into Boba Fhett who tells Han his one girlfreind died while getting the Death Star plans?I think Han then relays the message to the girls father.

When i first viewed episode 1, thought it was good, but not comparable to any other sci-fi movie. After the matrix, though, i looked at the movie with a far more jaded assessment. The fight scenes were terrible, most of the characters were just tolerable, and the character of anakin was disappointing. The most incrediblely idiotic thing about that movie is jar-jar binks. Rumor is that jar-jar will make a repeat appearance in episode 2 and 3...

Catscratch, No, its mainly the same as it is in the movie, except its in B & W, and the SE sequance runs at the bottom of the screen, while the old one at the top. It just shows the cantina fight between Obi Wan and Dr. Evanz, and, Han's girlfriend leaving. there's some other changes, like Greedo is different, and speaks english with a british accent instead of Huttese, and a few other minor differances, but unless you know the scene from the movie REALLY well, you wont' see alot of the differences, but they ARE there, I've seen them.

------------------

I rather liked TPM. In fact, I thought it was a great movie. There was, however, one hole in the plot (which, arguably, does exist, and is in fact quite interesting). Why didn't Amidala bring in the two Jedis for her appearance at the Senate? Surely, the testimony of two Jedis would count as proof - certainly, nobody would be able to reject such a testimony.

kyee: Care to explain your opinions? IMHO the fight scenes displayed more vigor & skill than the previous SW movies. Character development could've been better but why do people keep bashing Anakin? What do you expect from a 9yr old kid? Jar Jar Binks may have been a clutz but he did contribute to the movie in several key points - telling Amidala about the Gungan army & providing some comic relief. Since he wasn't killed he'll probably appear in Ep 2/3.

Quarto: The Senate meeting & the Jedi Council meetings occurred at the same time. Besides the corrupt Senate would find some way to discredit the Jedi report (Qui Gonn is a loose cannon & Obi Wan's just a padawan) or at least stall any response. Being a bureaucracy on peace time footing any sort of response would be slow, corrupt Senate or otherwise.

------------------
So I told them straight - we'll decide how to spend our defence budget, not them!
How did our allies take that?
What allies?

Actually, in a way, I agree with Kyee. While he is discussing the fight scenes, which I had to problem with, the space battles weren't as good as they was in the original three. There was too much computer work, and not enough of the determined skill and masterminding that made the original three what they are. IMHO, nothing will ever surpass them on that level.

------------------

PS: Sorry about this sig, I have changed it now. I hate older brothers, don't you?

[This message has been edited by Knight (edited January 19, 2000).]

I couldn't tell the difference actually.

------------------

-Frosty

There "was" a hole lot cut and rewriten in the Star Wars trilogy. Originaly in Return of the Jedi the Falcon wasn't supposed to make it out of the Death Star before it blew...hence Solo's fealing that he would never see it again...but Lucas decided not to go that way. Also Harrison Ford wanted Lucas to kill of the Solo charater giving the story a new twist..."The price of freedom comes at a greater lose..." but again Lucas didn't go that direction.

I liked the inoccence that was portraied for Anikan Skywalker...because it makes you wonder...what could possibly have gone so wrong that, this tender hearted kid who was so willing to help others in need, would cause him too become one of the most feared agents of the Empire. I think that his "sweet and inocence" placed a serious element in the developement of the character. Oh and Earthworm, finally you and I agree on one thing "I Hated Jar Jar Binks!!!" also I don't think Lucas is getting DeCaprio, he's looking more at the star of Dawson's Creek...

------------------
Call me a Pleb, you die!!! Got it fly boy?!?
Well do ya!?! Well punk!?! Because you know maybe, just maybe, when I'm flyin on your wing...my auto track could just mistake you for the Roach you are...got that...Ace!?! Sure you do...wouldn't want to get that nice squad jacket all mussed up now would we..?

Jar-Jar didn't bother me. He actually made me laugh. I don't think it's necessary to bring him back in another movie, but... wouldn't bother me.

------------------

-Frosty

Actually Frosty, I agree with you. JarJar was supposed to be the comedy relief, and while he was annoying, he did make you laugh.

------------------

Back