The WCS FAQ

Tolwyn

Vice Admiral
Q: What is Wing Commander?

The best-selling space-sim computer game that supplies the universe in which Wing Commander Saga is set. We believe that familiarity with either one of the games (Wing Commander 1-3) or one of the novels (preferably Heart of The Tiger) will intensify enjoyment of Wing Commander Saga.

Q: Who is the enemy in Wing Commander Saga?

In Saga, like most other WC games you will fight the Kilrathi, an alien race feline in appearence and deadly in combat.

Q: In which timeframe will WCSaga be set?

WCS is takes place at the same time as WC3 and concludes with the end of the decades long Terran-Kilrathi War. The outcome depends entirely on you, the player.

Q: What ships will I see in Saga?

Mostly ships from WC3, though a few older ships from the earlier games are still in service.

Q: Will Saga have developed wingman characters?

Yes.

Q: How is WC different from Freespace sans the setting?

The differences are numerous, with the most important being in flight dynamics(ships are faster, less maneuverable and have only finite afterburner fuel), weapons(generally do much more damage than in FS and are faster) and capital ship combat(CapShips are smaller, faster, more agile and don't use beams).

Q: Is the original freespace-game (or it's installed demo) required in order to play WC-Saga ?

No. Both, the prologue and the main-campaign will be completly standalone. But since we will replace all single freespace-files in the end, the download size could become rather big. The Prologue will be approximately around a 200 MB-RAR file

Feel free to ask further questions.

In case you wonder what that is, we created a FAQ thread at HLP to advance our cause of converting the heathens over there, and we wouldn't want to feel the CIC left out, so we posted it here, too. :p

not to mention that we want to point out the most profound differencies between FS2 and WCS :D

Any idears for a deadline yet? (I know i must be anoying the hell out of you)
Seriously this IS the thing i'm most looking forward to concerning pc gaming.
Are you guys going for a 2005 release or a 2006 release? The site says 2004 but that seems a bit unrealistic.

it is.

Prologue will definitely come out soon. How soon is a question I can not answer. It depends mostly on a few code alterations we need.

Ive just got freespace, just one question

Ive recently aquired freespace and I was just thinking, is autopilot going to be implemented into the game because ive not seen anything remotely like an autopilot, just subspace which seems to end the mission.

Unregistered said:
Ive recently aquired freespace and I was just thinking, is autopilot going to be implemented into the game because ive not seen anything remotely like an autopilot, just subspace which seems to end the mission.

Saga is heavily modified from FS. There will be a kind of autopilot, but slightly different (at least at the moment) to how you remember it from WC.

Back