The WCProphecy Movie Project

Ok, I don't know if I'm doing something wrong, but I've run into a problem:

I'm using Fraps to record by game footage, but when I record it, the game runs much more slowly and when people talk (both in-game cutscenes and comm videos), they sometimes repeat their words about two or three times. I don't know what's going on, but this is the first time this has happened.
I'm also using HCl's video skip fix for the movies.

The Maniac

maniac89 said:
I'm using Fraps to record by game footage, but when I record it, the game runs much more slowly and when people talk (both in-game cutscenes and comm videos), they sometimes repeat their words about two or three times. I don't know what's going on, but this is the first time this has happened.
I'm also using HCl's video skip fix for the movies.

This is normal. Recording video of what's going on on the screen takes a ton of resources. Just taking a screenshot will cause some people's systems to pause for a bit. Obviously ratcheting this up to 30 frames per second will cause a huge performance impact. How fast is your computer?

Well, when I go to play it again later, it does the same thing. And I don't really know how fast my computer is. How do I find out.

The Maniac

right-click on "My computer" and left-click on properties. You should see a screen with your system-profile.

maniac89 said:
Well, when I go to play it again later, it does the same thing.

Sounds like you need a reboot to recover or something.

maniac89 said:
And I don't really know how fast my computer is. How do I find out.

Oh dear. :(

Wah, you hurt my feelings! :D
And my computer is: Pentium 4 CPU 1.70 GHz
1.69 GHz, 512 MB of RAM.

Uh, that's what it says . . .

The Maniac

maniac89 said:
Wah, you hurt my feelings! :D
And my computer is: Pentium 4 CPU 1.70 GHz
1.69 GHz, 512 MB of RAM.

Uh, that's what it says . . .

The Maniac

Thats a decent PC, maybes the graphics card is old and that causes the lag? also you mention the audio repeats, then it could be sound card compatilibity possibly or audio acceleration......i dunno just some ideas

Queeg said:
Thats a decent PC, maybes the graphics card is old and that causes the lag? also you mention the audio repeats, then it could be sound card compatilibity possibly or audio acceleration......i dunno just some ideas
I once had an old computer with only an on-board (or whatever it's called it just isn't a full sound card.:)) sound-card and experienced frequent audio problems that might be the culprit there.

Queeg said:

The graphics card is not a big factor here. The computer is a bit on the slow side for what he's trying to do. The bottlenecks probably center on processing power and hard drive performance.

Gah! Another project I'd like to see, having never played the game. Well, unless you count to first few missions of the (IMO) horrible GBA port...

Beckmen said:
Gah! Another project I'd like to see, having never played the game. Well, unless you count to first few missions of the (IMO) horrible GBA port...

Prophecy Advance is one of the most advanced games on the system. It did an incredible job of translating a 2 gigabyte game designed to be used with a keyboard and joystick to a few megabyte cartridge with a D pad and a couple buttons. You can find the full PC version of Prophecy for just a few dollars if you hunt around. Watching a fan movie version of it isn't the same as actually playing it.

Beckmen said:
I might do that, but is the game easy enough for a complete n00b to play through?

The PC version? If it's too hard you can just set the difficulty lower in the options screen. It's a little too easy on Rookie in my opinion.

its definately easier than wing commander 4 where one hit of a missile and you're blown to pieces....

Back