The WC4 'Price Of Freedom' Movie Project

Wow, I didn't mean to sound offended earlier, infact the kilrathi joke made me chuckle :), just wasn't sure what you meant by it. I agree that there are some really cheesey lines/scenes in wing commander (although it seemed to work more for WC3 than 4) infact a couple of the lines they come up with make me cringe like panthers speech "so you really think the good will win?" if Blair has positive reply.

Anyway not to sidetrack, it does mean a lot to me that you think I did a good job, as I did put in my best efforts and wasn't sure how it would go down. Anyway, thank you for replying, to answer your last question - footage was never ripped. Ulead's software let me import the individual VOB's directly into the project (from an ISO of course, not reading from the hardware DVD drive) and I was able to edit them that way so there would be no quality loss from source to final product.
Whoa, so what's the software package? Something by Ulead...

That's pretty strange. We've had more than 500 people download from that link and nobody else has mentioned any problem. Are you using an unusual browser or something? Have you tried plugging it into GetRight or a program like that?

YES!! Thanx Chris, that FTP link worked for me. The link seems to have disappeared now though. But I got it, now I just gotta watch it.

And just FYI, I'm using IE6 which I didn't think was too unusual.

YES!! Thanx Chris, that FTP link worked for me. The link seems to have disappeared now though. But I got it, now I just gotta watch it.

And just FYI, I'm using IE6 which I didn't think was too unusual.

That's my doing, I didn't think it would work. But apparently they fixed large file support (> 2GB) at some point. A lot of software still has issues with that. The FTP mirror is here.

Good work, Queeg! I got this via the torrent link (didn't even see the FTP one, heh) so I will be trying to seed it for a while. The file works in my standalone DivX player so I can watch it on my 34" Widescreen. Yay. Many thanks, I have been waiting a VERY long time for a good video quality version of this. All I have ever had was the PSX version with it's terrible video.

OK, I'll be going back into obscurity again. I check back here every so often, but if you need to contact me, PM or email me. Thanks again.

Oh, then I spelled Kris wrong. Thanx to you too then. I got to watch it today. The DVD video is so much better then the video from WCIII. It's amazing. Glad I have the DVD version to play. Good work Queeg.

Watched some of the movie and a few notes incase you make another version. Minor things, though...

1: You should convert the time to 24-hour (Army) time to keep with the military motifs.

2: The final mission is missing. We get all this talk of harsh resistance by Confed, and then Blair just seems to sail in without any hassle.

3: I don't like the end credit music, but that's more of a personal taste issue.

Thanks Beckman, glad you got it working on the Divx player without problems. I realise there still are a few missions that are missing, if I make another version I'll remake them all anyway, since the background stuff isn't really cutting it. I'm liking the miltary time idea, might make the time stuff look a bit less tacky :p, Cheers!

I liked the time stuff, actually. It's informative and doesn't feel cheesy, but because it's not military time, it feels inaccurate, is all. But other than that, I think it's cool and helps connect the dots and whatnot.

It would also be cool if you released some Deleted Scenes. I was watching some of the stuff on YouTube last night. So much left out of the PSX version. I certainly noticed several 'new' scenes in your movie version, as well. I wonder what else I am missing out on, though.

Well, guess what I've been doing these past three hours... Yup you guessed it... Finally took some time to sit down and drown myself in this great videogame turned movie experience. Queeg I congratulate you on this awesome piece of work.

Let's start with the bad points::(

- Audio was sometimes very out of sync with video. Don't know if this is due to my DVD player not decoding the Divx well but in some scenes it was very noticeable, I tend to get taken out of the moment for that scene when that happens. It's so unnatural I lose concentration and start to focus more on lip movement and when words should be coming out of the mouths instead of actually following the plot. Yep, I'm a weird one, I know...
- While I didn't think the backdrops in the combat missions were that annoying, they kept me guessing which direction the vehicles were flying in it was sometimes downright strange to watch. Other than that: no dizzyness symptoms whatsoever here.
- Somewhere in the second part of the film there is a scene where Blair and Dekker descend to the planet surface to blow up some installation. The scene after that however is Pliers discovering the Flash-pack in some mysteriously acquired Black Lance fighter. Can't remember if this was in the game too but I thought this was the only major flaw in the editing. Correct me if I'm wrong here.

Now for the good points::)

- Minor scenes have been added to make major plot changes not as jarring as in the first version. Very nice work in making the story flow much better. Except for that one transition I mentioned earlier there aren't any major story gaps here, I thought. I am impressed with the first hour and a half, which was a bit of a mess in the first version.
- Length of the combat missions is just about right. There are more of them too. The time display to me isn't all that important. It didn't seem to bother me one bit it wasn't military twenty three hundred something crap. Keep it, ditch it, do as you please.
- Awesome audio & video quality. Yes it's fully Queeg's doing he has been able to keep original quality of the footage. He could have easily made a lowtech version to spend some more time with his other occupations in daily life, if you know what I mean... But instead his effort for maintaining constant high quality in the scene transitions and audiovisual department has been much appreciated. Watch the movie in the right circumstances (home cinema) and you'll know how much it's appreciated. Like in... A LOT.

So again... you outdid yourself Queeg. Some improvements can still be done but things have improved greatly since the first cut. So you can go and secretly pat yourself on the back for that. Sincerely!!!

Thanks a million and till next time.

Hello good people. Sorry for the late reply Beckman, haven't been watching the forums lately. Deleted scenes sounds good, since there is plenty of interesting scenes such as Tolwyn confronting Blair about his unacceptable work performance.

Anyway, Dark Elf. So pleased that you got a chance to see the movie :), on your home cinema system as well. I never noticed any out of sync audio in the movie myself, do you know if it happens when you play it on the PC?
Also I know what you mean about watching the sync, it always distracts me and I always try to figure out if the audio is ahead or behind the picture.
Ah and the evil backgrounds again, it would have actually been possible to have the background moving in proportion to the ships movements. Although to do it accurately would be a slow and painful task. Now the flash pak scene, I could never figure out where to put this. As the parts of the story which connect with the discovery of the fighters was cut for various reasons. However, I didn't think this scene needed any story connection, since the important part is Pliers finding the flashpak, I didn't think knowing where the fighter came from was essential. I agree that it's still a plot hole though.

I'm happy the hear the story flows well now, as that was the main concern in the harshly cut version. I would agree that there is enough mission stuff now, although I thought the Catscratch rescue mission could have had a bit more action. I'm glad the quality was up to standard, and I think the biggest thing people would be missing is the 5.1 surround sound, it does make a nice experience for the CGI space action bits. Well anyway, thank you for the awsome review :D, it seems the general response from the film is rather good, but still quite a few loose ends to tie up.

Look forward to hearing more thoughts on the movie!

Just wanted to say that I do plan on making one more final cut of Wing Commander IV movie as I wasn't completely satisifed with it. I intend to make dramatic improvements and have prepared a sample clip for what it might be like.

Sample Clip (24mb wmv)

This clip is earliest point where 'In-game' footage would be used, where Blair and Maniac go to the Orlando Depot. So if you take a look please let me know what you think. I want to know if it blends in. Thats all I'll say for now :).

Impressive! How did you do those exterior shots of the fighters? Animation was a bit weird but hey, it's a good effect nonetheless, and it could really fill in the holes and I must say it all blends very nicely together with the old footage. Great touch with the cool cockpit view and Maniac challenging Blair.

So basically it looks very good and if this is how your next cut will look like I may have to download it all over again, haha...

hi queeg!

The new flight scenes fit a lot better than the old ones

I think you should still work on the movement of the fighters - they look a bit weird sometimes and they are moving far too slow - actually like in slow motion.

And if you have a red colored space background and a cockpit in a red tone you should also lighten the fighters slightly in that way - that should look even better

beside that - keep up your great work - can't wait for the next release.....and the WCP movie of course ;)

Impressive! How did you do those exterior shots of the fighters? Animation was a bit weird but hey, it's a good effect nonetheless, and it could really fill in the holes and I must say it all blends very nicely together with the old footage. Great touch with the cool cockpit view and Maniac challenging Blair.

So basically it looks very good and if this is how your next cut will look like I may have to download it all over again, haha...

Very happy to hear you're interested in the new movie :). The outer shots of the fighters are achieved by a 3D modeling program (there's a thread called 'Fan Cgi for Fan Movies' on the forum for more details on that). I showed this clip to a friend and he also said it blends well :), so getting a really good response thus far. Thanks for the reply :).

death angel said:
hi queeg!

The new flight scenes fit a lot better than the old ones

I think you should still work on the movement of the fighters - they look a bit weird sometimes and they are moving far too slow - actually like in slow motion.

And if you have a red colored space background and a cockpit in a red tone you should also lighten the fighters slightly in that way - that should look even better

beside that - keep up your great work - can't wait for the next release.....and the WCP movie of course

Thank you for the comments, this method of flight scenes should be thousands of times better than before, since with models they can be scripted to do almost anything and theres complete control over what happens.

The animation isn't perfect obviously, since it's early days and I need to get used to how long it should take for a ship to get from A to B. Also I won't be persuing the 'Red' theme since it doesn't look natural. Thanks for taking a look though, all feedback is helpful :).

Wing Commander Movies

Queeg,

I just got through watching your WIng Commander movies back to back. I was a huge fan of these games when I was younger and often wished there was a version of Wing Commander IV I could sit and re-watch.

Let me start by saying that I thoroughly enjoyed watching them and am very grateful to you for releasing them. You've already done a great job so the constructive criticism I'm about to make should be seen in that light. I think they're quite close to being something that someone who didn't play the games could sit down and enjoy as a standalone film. I myself couldn't remember the plot details so I was able to try and see it from that point of view.

1) The first thing is that the in-game sequences don't really work. I guess you're already aware of that if you're attempting to animate them yourself. I basically switched off while they were happening and waited for the next bit of video. You got better at doing them as they improve from the start of WC3 to the end of WC4, but I think it's an impossible challenge. If you watch a Hollywood action movie of this type, you'll notice that they tend to do a smaller number of extended set piece action scenes rather than a large number of short ones. Indeed in the Wing Commander Hollywood movie, there are far fewer dog-fight scenes than in WC4. If you're animating them, I would recommend cutting out all but the absolutely critical dog-fight scenes and make them as good as you can.

2) Scene transitions. Most of the scene transitions are pretty fluid but some are quite jarring, especially when there is a big delay and a black screen. This really pulls you out of the film and should be avoided. In places I wasn't sure if it was deliberate because you jumped from a scene with a character in one place straight to a scene with them in another and wanted to give the impression of passage of time. Wipes (much used in Star Wars and overused in Battlefield Earth) are a great way of transiting from one scene to another in this scenario. You might also consider adding some light background music in places that runs over scene joins to make them appear more contiguous.

3) The pacing of the film was quite variable. In some places it worked really well and in others it didn't. There's a illustrative section on the 'making of' Star Wars DVD box set that shows the first edit of A New Hope, and how they re-cut it to fix the pacing. Basically in the original cut, they just pasted together the various scenes whereas in the released cut they were cut more aggressively (e.g. end cropped off a scene) to keep the pace of the sequence throughout. An example of what I'm talking about comes at the end when the Vesuvius attacks. That's a great scene, but it finishes with Blair ordering all the fighters into the air. You never see that and he's back on the ship when you next see him. Why not cut this scene when he shouts 'battlestations'. It would then make one flowing action scene with pace.
Perhaps it would be worth tying in with AD as he seems to have re-cut some scenes himself?

4) For me, the (3hr) film was too long. I noticed there are a number of posts saying to put back in the infection planet and they were absolutely right. This is a key scene and one of the few that stuck with me from playing the game. However, there are a lot of scenes that really don't need to be in there. There's a whole section about the civil war on a planet that could be cut as it has no effect on the plot. The section with the Kilrathi is also over-long. I would recommend cutting it so that the convoy is rescued and that is that. I'd actually assumed they'd all gone on their way afterwards. Forget all the stuff about the star-base being captured etc, it's not necessary and just adds more in-game scenes that don't work. I could go on like this, but at the end of the day it's your cut. I'd just recommend that you be far more aggressive in discarding material (especially if it lets you get rid of an in-game sequence), aiming for say a 2 hour film.

5) The film is actually very good in terms of plot continuity. There was only one hole that I noticed but it's a glaring one. There's the clip where we see pliers suddenly getting a flash-pack out of somewhere. He refers to 'none of the others having one' but if I hadn't played the game I wouldn't have a clue what he was talking about. It's also obvious that Blair is suddenly flying around in one of the black ships with no explanation until the infection planet. Capturing that ship is such a critical plot point (I can't remember how it happens as it was so long ago) that it really, really needs to be included.

At the end of the day this is just my ten cents and it's your cut. Thanks again for all your efforts.

Richard

Capturing that ship is such a critical plot point (I can't remember how it happens as it was so long ago) that it really, really needs to be included.
It was just that simple: they captured a transport which was carrying some of those Dragon/Lance fighters and then used them against the Black Lance.

It was just that simple: they captured a transport which was carrying some of those Dragon/Lance fighters and then used them against the Black Lance.

I think his point was that in Queeg's version, he makes no reference to where they came from at all untill Dekker mentions it on Telamon. Including a brief snippet of the part where they capture the transport and or pliers introducing the ship to Blair reduces those "where the hell did that come from!" moments that throw you out of the movie.

I realise that, I was only responding to his "I can't remember how it happens as it was so long ago" statement.

I don't know, I think a 3 hour movie isn't bad... You don't have to seat in a movie theater for 3 hours, if the movie hooked you up, you'll watch the 3 hour movie at ones, if it didn't, you'll just pause and get a snack

Back