The WC3 'Heart Of The Tiger' Movie Project

here is from the master script of WCIII (you could get that if you bought the Behind the Screens: The Wing Commander III Interactive CD)

Lastlegoffinalmission.JPG

From this you could see what Origin intentions were: you just have 5 pilots but 3 were selected. All 3 should be death by the last mission leg, eventhough they used the words: "our understanding" maybe to leave something open but when something is left opened it should be for every way ;) However, the main choice was 3 death before starting the final mission leg I never took that for granted. I finished the game with all different posibilities to see each end. I even found some glitches in the game that you could bend a little their rules. When the Novel came up I was dissapointed at some point but again that was a novel, Im the player (same goes for WCIV) Predictable is to be doing the same storyline that the novel shows us. Eventhough some people have read it and some havent what always matter is the freedom you have in the game to finish it your own way. You want to be true to the book, I said is allright but just the 2 pilot left in the carrier would survive at the end of WCIII in the game script. There were no choices left in anywhere of the mission of the script (and believe me, that was the first time I saw a real movie script and it was real hard to follow at first) My intention are not to diminishes or critizices but just to point out that everyone has his own point of view. As you said (Chris) the writer work the origin way I would said it was both way (feedback) The writer has his own style that he wont lose it.

It is been nice talk to you guys but as I said I have played all, as many as you. I have collected every I coudl for all V games, not only the novels. The first time I played wing commander I was just beginning Aerospace Eng. major. All my firends at college played the first 2. And even, when we finished college and played the WCIII, my friends & I share our views and some did it one way and some did the other (some have the hot for Ginger/Rachel, some were just simple captivated by Jennifer/Flint style, little some didnt want to get involve :D ) I like the movie Queerg and sorry for all the incovinience. And Chris, I may be new here but I was/am/be always truly inlove with the wing commander universe. No game has become that close (there are some there but never got it completly) as Wing Commander did for Space Combat Sim game in my heart.

best wishes,

RG...out

Well now the Wingman debate is finished I have a question. Do you guys think it's worth me doing a WC4 movie whilst there are already several in the making?

I ask because I would really enjoy editing proper DVD footage with 3D sound, It would be a great change of pace from the low quality 90% CGI that is Wing Commander III.

Queeg, I for one enjoyed the WC3 movie, and would like to see you take a shot at TPoF movie.

Honestly, and no offense to anybody working on a WC4 movie (we all lead busy lives, and you guys are doing this stuff for us for free) but it doesn't seem like those projects are looking to get done anytime soon anyway, so I don't see a problem. Besides, you are likely to do things that would differ from another person's project, and it is interesting to see how people attempt to tell the story.

On a side note, I would really love to see somebody try to incorporate the action scenes with some updated graphics. They would probably have to okay it, of course, but the saga mod with the freespace engine seems like it would allow for some pretty cool shots, of course it would take a lot of editing and so forth to work out. Maybe I'm just dreaming, but who knows...

Queeg, I for one enjoyed the WC3 movie, and would like to see you take a shot at TPoF movie.

Honestly, and no offense to anybody working on a WC4 movie (we all lead busy lives, and you guys are doing this stuff for us for free) but it doesn't seem like those projects are looking to get done anytime soon anyway, so I don't see a problem. Besides, you are likely to do things that would differ from another person's project, and it is interesting to see how people attempt to tell the story.

On a side note, I would really love to see somebody try to incorporate the action scenes with some updated graphics. They would probably have to okay it, of course, but the saga mod with the freespace engine seems like it would allow for some pretty cool shots, of course it would take a lot of editing and so forth to work out. Maybe I'm just dreaming, but who knows...

You're right, I've been thinking about this for like a week and my only thought is - "Why not?". All the wing commander IV films will be quite different so what's one more?

Well I'll have the WC4 dvds soon so I'll just start playing around with those and test mission capturing etc.

I would like to hear more about this saga mod you mentioned though...

I'm surprised you haven't heard of it, but it is a freespace 2 mod based in the wing 3 era.

Here's the link to the forums on this website...

http://www.crius.net/zone/forumdisplay.php?f=18

The Wing Commander SAGA mod is pretty interest. They just have released the prologue and you could read anything about it in this forums. They have their own section like Flight Commander, and I thought it is pretty cool project even though they are taking really long to finish it. But so far, I like the prologue and I was a freespace 2 fan myslef and I think FreeSpace 2 game engine is great to work with for making mods.

About the movie, you did a pretty good job in such as short time with WCIII that I dont think anyone wouldnt mind to see you working with WCIV so go ahead m8 :) I bet you will finish first that movie project

best regards,

RG

Okay, I downloaded the prologue and the visuals are absolutely stunning. Although my computer lags when the details are high and I can't seem to change camera view. I'm not sure this will be ideal for making WC4 missions.

Any thoughts?

There is a way to look outside the ship with a rotating camera view, and also a way to watch from behind the ship while flying (a chase view, basically). There are possibly some others that I'm not aware of, I'll have to play around with it when I get home.

As far as using them for your project, I suppose it wouldn't work for wing 4 because there will not be (I don't believe, someone can correct me if I am wrong) any Border World craft included.

I suppose if I were to attempt to create scenes using the saga mod, it would really be a long process, beginning with outlining what is needed for each mission that is shown in the movie. Then, capturing many, many different scenes and piecing together the scenes to try and make an exciting battle. It seems like most sci-fi battle scenes are really just a montage of different dogfighting scenes, with the advantage of being able to fix the camera on the pilots to see their reactions, ect.

Another possibility is scripting new missions in the saga mod (likely with help from somebody with some freespace knowledge, I suppose). This would allow you to make scenes with multiple fighters from each side, as opposed to the normal you-and-your-wingman format from Wing 3, and then again using multiple scenes to piece together the action sequences.

Anyway, suffice it to say that it would be really time consuming, and I don't know how well it would capture with FRAPS.

When I mentioned using the saga mod for the action scenes, I really meant more for use of creating scenes for Wing 3, because they are based on the same timeline. It was more of an extraneous thought, really, just something that would be kinda cool.

Incidentally, I suppose the biggest thing that detracts me from the Wing 3 ingame play (other than the admittedly dated graphics) is the fact that space is blue, which we accept when we play the game, but it is kind of wierd to see in a movie format... could be just me though. You wouldn't have this problem in wing 4, of course.

There is a way to look outside the ship with a rotating camera view, and also a way to watch from behind the ship while flying (a chase view, basically). There are possibly some others that I'm not aware of, I'll have to play around with it when I get home.

As far as using them for your project, I suppose it wouldn't work for wing 4 because there will not be (I don't believe, someone can correct me if I am wrong) any Border World craft included.

I suppose if I were to attempt to create scenes using the saga mod, it would really be a long process, beginning with outlining what is needed for each mission that is shown in the movie. Then, capturing many, many different scenes and piecing together the scenes to try and make an exciting battle. It seems like most sci-fi battle scenes are really just a montage of different dogfighting scenes, with the advantage of being able to fix the camera on the pilots to see their reactions, ect.

Another possibility is scripting new missions in the saga mod (likely with help from somebody with some freespace knowledge, I suppose). This would allow you to make scenes with multiple fighters from each side, as opposed to the normal you-and-your-wingman format from Wing 3, and then again using multiple scenes to piece together the action sequences.

Anyway, suffice it to say that it would be really time consuming, and I don't know how well it would capture with FRAPS.

When I mentioned using the saga mod for the action scenes, I really meant more for use of creating scenes for Wing 3, because they are based on the same timeline. It was more of an extraneous thought, really, just something that would be kinda cool.

Incidentally, I suppose the biggest thing that detracts me from the Wing 3 ingame play (other than the admittedly dated graphics) is the fact that space is blue, which we accept when we play the game, but it is kind of wierd to see in a movie format... could be just me though. You wouldn't have this problem in wing 4, of course.

Ah I see, yes it would be ideal for WC3 since it has all the ships etc. Well unfortunately I'm done with WC3 so it's unlikely the ingame stuff will be redone. What's strange about the blue space is that in some of the later missions I'm pretty sure the space is pure black, very strange that they didn't have that on all missions. Maybe the ships windscreen has a blueish material.

Anyway I'll make a new thread of my WC4 project, no use talking about it in here.

What's strange about the blue space is that in some of the later missions I'm pretty sure the space is pure black, very strange that they didn't have that on all missions. Maybe the ships windscreen has a blueish material.

I don't think the color of space really changes. If you hit control + left or right, you will adjust the gamma correction and can make the space darker though.

I don't think the color of space really changes. If you hit control + left or right, you will adjust the gamma correction and can make the space darker though.

When ever I tried to lower the gamma in the setup it would never go darker than dark blue.

Dude, I watched your movie today. It was frickin' BADASS. I loved the choices you made, they were very unique and made for a good movie going experience. I have played all of the WC games, beginning back in 1992 when I first bought WC 1, and your work really brought back memories to me, back in 1995 when I first played WC3.

Some of your choices were different than when I played the game a few times, which, in my opinion, made your movie all the more realistic (I know you borrowed heavily from the novel as well). I loved how you had Blair fail the first mission, and pick Rachel instead of Flint at the end (which goes against what most of us would have done I'm sure). Definitely against the grain, which is why, I'm sure, so many ppl have posted how they would have done thing differently...I mean dammit, there are so many paths, that I doubt ANYONE would be happy with one particular path.

The only thing I noticed about your project were the end titles. You misspelled 'Jason Bernard', 'Joshua Lucas', and the actress who played Angel's last name. Other than that, the whole thing was pretty solid.

I really hope you do a version of WC4 as you did a kickass job with WC3. Thank you for your hard work!

Dude, I watched your movie today. It was frickin' BADASS. I loved the choices you made, they were very unique and made for a good movie going experience. I have played all of the WC games, beginning back in 1992 when I first bought WC 1, and your work really brought back memories to me, back in 1995 when I first played WC3.

Some of your choices were different than when I played the game a few times, which, in my opinion, made your movie all the more realistic (I know you borrowed heavily from the novel as well). I loved how you had Blair fail the first mission, and pick Rachel instead of Flint at the end (which goes against what most of us would have done I'm sure). Definitely against the grain, which is why, I'm sure, so many ppl have posted how they would have done thing differently...I mean dammit, there are so many paths, that I doubt ANYONE would be happy with one particular path.

The only thing I noticed about your project were the end titles. You misspelled 'Jason Bernard', 'Joshua Lucas', and the actress who played Angel's last name. Other than that, the whole thing was pretty solid.

I really hope you do a version of WC4 as you did a kickass job with WC3. Thank you for your hard work!

:) I'm so glad that you enjoyed the movie. Choosing Flint is definately the more obvious choice and well, he almost did in the film. I think the novel made a very interesting path for the games story even though I found it confusing. The reason that the credits have spelling errors is due to the original credits video I recorded was such poor quality I found it very difficult to read.

The WC4 movie is up for download on torrent now (link on the other thread), I hope you get a chance to see it :). The quality of the wing commander IV movie is considerably better (Almost full DVD quality). Thanks again for posting!

I want to be a seeder

Is anyone still seeding these AVI files somewhere? I am currently trying to bittorrent these two files:

http://www.mininova.org/tor/410829
http://www.mininova.org/tor/414920

The problem is I am up to 68.7 percent on one and it has stalled; it seems like no one is seeding the whole file. I would be happy to seed the files for a long time if someone with the complete files can join the torrent for long enough to get me the rest of the movie :)

If no one can seed; I would greatly appreciate it if someone can point me at where I can download the WC3 movie. Thank you!

-WRaven

Back