The WC3 'Heart Of The Tiger' Movie Project

It's too big for me to host anywhere online, and I don't have anywhere to put it, anyway. I dunno, maybe I can encode it really low and put it somewhere...

(stupid YouTube, I would totally put it up there if they didn't have that 10 minute rule)

Queeg said:
Good point, I was just thinking it was 16 colours cause thats the colour setting on my pc i run it on, i dunno nevermind.

After finally getting a chance to look at it a bit more, I probably would like to see a higher quality one. It might not have more color, but the image would be more clear overall.

i have a problem with the movie.
trying to play it, the screen is green (??) and media player reported an unknown error.
same is for real player. is that a codec problem? but I should have the latest ones for all players...can someone help me with that?

Check if you have these 5 installed

xvid <-- needed for the movie
divx
ffdshow filter <-- might be needed
ac3 filter
mp3 codec, there's lots of them. <-- needed

those work for me :)

EDIT:
Just curious, where does the interlacing come from?

Your rip
wc3_bad.jpg

Original clip resized with Virtualdub and added a tiny smoothen filter
wc3_good.jpg

Budro said:
Check if you have these 5 installed

xvid <-- needed for the movie
divx
ffdshow filter <-- might be needed
ac3 filter
mp3 codec, there's lots of them. <-- needed

I fixed it, thx. it was the missing xvid codec

Black-Wulf said:
i have a problem with the movie.
trying to play it, the screen is green (??) and media player reported an unknown error.
same is for real player. is that a codec problem? but I should have the latest ones for all players...can someone help me with that?

DivX player should be able to play it though without downloading anything extra.

Reading through some of your posts are amazing to me. I am new to the site but have been a fan of the WC series from the first game, which hooked me into WC. Great stuff you guys have done.....

Welcome to the Forums. There's lots of fans working on very impressive projects. The next year should be fantastic for all of us here.

Weasel said:
Reading through some of your posts are amazing to me. I am new to the site but have been a fan of the WC series from the first game, which hooked me into WC. Great stuff you guys have done.....
Welcome to the CIC!

Thanks Queeg! :)

Could you please expand a bit on your capturing and compilation process, if you don't mind? You mentioned using Virtual PC to emulate and presumably capture the WC3 gameplay sequences. Were you outputting them and the FMV to another PC (with capture card) or to a consumer VCR/DVD Recorder and then capturing that footage for editing? Assuming your final edit wasn't de-interlaced during encoding, it could account for the interlacing that Budro highlighted above.

Your first post in this thread suggested that you had already completed the project and only recently discovered the CIC at the time, so I'm assuming you didn't use HCL's movie player to extract the WC3 FMV? The latest version of DOSBox (0.65) allows for video recording (which could be used to capture WC3 gameplay), but this version was released some time after you started the thread.

Has the version of the movie available at the CIC seen any changes since you started the thread or is it exactly the same as your first cut?

Beckmen said:
I am toying with making my own version with the 3DO footage. I found a debug mode where I can view movies at my whim..
Cool. How do you access the debug mode, is it via a key combo on the gamepad or something more involved? I'd like to try this out. :)

Cheers,

Bryn

Accessing the debug mode is as simple as a keypad combo. I think you hold L and P at the main screen (you need a saved game to get here I think) once it boots, and then when the cursor goes to 'continue', hit B. I think. It's been a few weeks since I actually did it, so I might not be right on the paticulars. You can find the code online, though. Google it if my method doesn't work.

Beckmen said:
Accessing the debug mode is as simple as a keypad combo. I think you hold L and P at the main screen (you need a saved game to get here I think) once it boots, and then when the cursor goes to 'continue', hit B. I think. It's been a few weeks since I actually did it, so I might not be right on the paticulars. You can find the code online, though. Google it if my method doesn't work.
Yeah, thanks! I did a search last night and found this. There's a bunch of really neat things you can do, such as view all the colour comm videos, view all the game's sprites, play individual missions, movies and more! :D

Looking through the objects menu, you can view the various static (e.g. Barracks render sans lockers and beds) and dynamic elements (e.g. Maniac reading a magazine). It makes you realise just how involved the green screen/super-imposing work must of been.

Sorry for going off topic -- this probably deserves its own thread.

-Bryn

BrynS said:
Thanks Queeg! :)

Could you please expand a bit on your capturing and compilation process, if you don't mind? You mentioned using Virtual PC to emulate and presumably capture the WC3 gameplay sequences. Were you outputting them and the FMV to another PC (with capture card) or to a consumer VCR/DVD Recorder and then capturing that footage for editing? Assuming your final edit wasn't de-interlaced during encoding, it could account for the interlacing that Budro highlighted above.

Your first post in this thread suggested that you had already completed the project and only recently discovered the CIC at the time, so I'm assuming you didn't use HCL's movie player to extract the WC3 FMV? The latest version of DOSBox (0.65) allows for video recording (which could be used to capture WC3 gameplay), but this version was released some time after you started the thread.

Has the version of the movie available at the CIC seen any changes since you started the thread or is it exactly the same as your first cut?

Bryn

There's only two versions of the movie, which are both exactly the same except one of them has my online name and one with my real name. Anyone else is free to change it if they want but I don't plan on doing any more work on it. However, I was considering making a trailer, just for fun.

Might I make a few suggestions....

As an independant film editor and maker I thought this was quite interesting. But there are some things that I have to get off my chest.

1. I felt that when watching the film, that it needed some fades (Or dissolves as screenwriter's call it), fade in's and outs, and needed some unnessasary material cut out for better pacing.

2. The hobbies message. I feel that there'd be a MUCH better emotional effect if the video is played sometime AFTER the death of hobbies (Just think of how bad he'd feel knowing that he killed a true friend who didn't really mean what he did); which will make the scene between Maniac and Blair have much more meaning and back-up for his anger.

3. The scene where Blair attempts to get vagabond back by talking to the captain seems too quick and having the very next scene with him changing his mind seemed too quick of a decsion as well. It might be better to have the alternate dialogue scene.

4. This is something I had put into my own version of the WC3 movie I did a while ago but it also might work for yours. Following the first scramble scene, remove the elevator scene, slip in Rachael saying "You'll never guess what's gased up and ready to go" and smash cut to the emergency launch with the Excalibur (This will add a cinematic feel to your film and up the quality). And continue to do the rest like you did before; except for the same scene repeating itself (This is only if you can find a scramble with the Ex. or maybe not, the audience might not know the difference). Edit: Also, Flash would never know because he says later on that "the alarms woke him up" which means he was sleeping.

Outside of these and few other things that bothered me, its a totally awesome film; watching this made me feel like I was watching a workprint which is great by its own standards. If you want to know what can be cut out for better pacing, I'd be glad to tell you.

Maverick's Soul said:
If you want to know what can be cut out for better pacing, I'd be glad to tell you.
Queeg said:
Anyone else is free to change it if they want but I don't plan on doing any more work on it.

Some of the points you made are definitely things I've been considering while editing the WC4 footage. One thing is that once the scenes are taken out of the context of the game - save for scenes explicitly need for exposition or scenes that need to be in a particular order because they reference particular events - they don't need to stay in the same order as they were in the game. Sometime its a pacing thing, sometimes its a stylistic thing. A person has to ask themselves if its possible to retain the basic stucture and have the movie make sense internally? Just for example, it doesnt matter - within the context of the movie - if you jump to helespont or Tyr system next if the audience doesn't hear Eisen say you're jumping to helespont. So for pacing sake, within the movie (which in no way even pretends to replace the game) why not jump to tyr and move the burnt out transport to an entirely different mission from where it is in the game. And this is all done by trimming just a little from The scene of Blair meeting Eisen in flight control just after he arives on the lexington.

Sometimes for pacing, i've removed just one or two sentences from the middle of conversations...

Queeg said:
There's only two versions of the movie, which are both exactly the same except one of them has my online name and one with my real name. Anyone else is free to change it if they want but I don't plan on doing any more work on it. However, I was considering making a trailer, just for fun.

Do you still have a higher quality/source material version of the movie?

Back