The WC3 'Heart Of The Tiger' Movie Project

Queeg

Rear Admiral
Hi, I've been into wing commander for a few years, I started off with WC3 and loved it, then went onto IV and V (Prophecy). But wing commander III is my favourite, I wanted to create a wing commander III movie. I wasn't sure if anyone had done it before, I didn't think to check the forums until after I had started it. I found this website recently and figured the best place to share the movie would be on these forums.

So enough of the introduction, I have a few questions before I put the movie up. Sample enclosed at the bottom.

Questions:

1. Am I allowed to do this and post it here?

2. Would I need permission to use scenes cut from the game which I downloaded of this website?

3. Is anyone interested in this project being carried out?

Finally, here is a sample of the movie

Sample - 12mb Wmv
 

ChrisReid

Super Soaker Collector / Administrator
This is exactly what AD is currently doing with WC4. https://www.wcnews.com/news/update/6890 There's quite a bit of information and discussion in regards to that project that would apply to your project. The quality and completeness of the project would probably be higher if you had a way to extract the clips yourself as well. Permission for stuff you downloaded depends on the nature of the item you're using. Either way, it would be good to make sure you credit everything you use.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Queeg

Rear Admiral
ChrisReid said:
This is exactly what AD is currently doing with WC4. https://www.wcnews.com/news/update/6890 There's quite a bit of information and discussion in regards to that project that would apply to your project. The quality and completeness of the project would probably be higher if you had a way to extract the clips yourself as well. Permission for stuff you downloaded depends on the nature of the item you're using. Either way, it would be good to make sure you credit everything you use.

When you say extract the clips yourself, do you mean the FMV seqeuences? Because I Did extract all of them from my own WC3 discs. The only ones I wasn't able to extract were ones that were cut from the game, since they aren't on the discs. The clips that were cut from the game and the background music are the Only things that I did not extract from the discs. I will certainly give credit to the WC CIC website in the credits, the main question I'm asking is: Will this movie be somewhat successful in its current state?
 
Last edited by a moderator:

ChrisReid

Super Soaker Collector / Administrator
Yeah, it should be. I'd talk with AD to see if he can give you some advice on editing and such. He's been working hard on his version for over a year and can probably help you along. The final product should also be compressed quite a bit less. Stuff like you posted is fine for samples, but if you're extracting the actual video, you'll want as much quality to follow through to your final movie. The CIC can host large files that fan projects produce.
 

AD

Finder of things, Doer of stuff
ChrisReid said:
Yeah, it should be. I'd talk with AD to see if he can give you some advice on editing and such. He's been working hard on his version for over a year and can probably help you along. The final product should also be compressed quite a bit less. Stuff like you posted is fine for samples, but if you're extracting the actual video, you'll want as much quality to follow through to your final movie. The CIC can host large files that fan projects produce.

Hehehe you make it sound like I spent the whole year doing nothing but that... But I ended Up with a couple month delay while I resolved some hardware issues. Progress is up to speed again and when I do work on it I tend to get focussed and forget everything else. (though my map project kinda in and of itself indicated I get focussed on other things from time to time:D ) Anyway I've ramped up production and should have some results to show for it hopefully sooner than later.

Anyway I'm downloading your clip Queeg so I'll let you know what I think. (it's uploading slow... download speed would be another advantage to letting the CIC host your files) Are you trying to be all inclusive? Or are you going to try and maintain a pacing and focus more akin to a feature film you would go see at the theater? (the later is my objective)
 

Queeg

Rear Admiral
ChrisReid said:
Yeah, it should be. I'd talk with AD to see if he can give you some advice on editing and such. He's been working hard on his version for over a year and can probably help you along. The final product should also be compressed quite a bit less. Stuff like you posted is fine for samples, but if you're extracting the actual video, you'll want as much quality to follow through to your final movie. The CIC can host large files that fan projects produce.
~~~ I have actually finished the whole project, I just wanted to check that I was keeping to the rules before I uploaded the whole movie and everything. I used xvid Avi for the final compresson and it ended up at around 500mb (movie is 2 hours and 20 minutes long). I think I shall need to recompress it less as you said, since the quality isn't great in some places. I would be happy to upload the movie to CIC, I just don't know how. Thanks for being so supportive :)


AD said:
Anyway I'm downloading your clip Queeg so I'll let you know what I think. (it's uploading slow... download speed would be another advantage to letting the CIC host your files) Are you trying to be all inclusive? Or are you going to try and maintain a pacing and focus more akin to a feature film you would go see at the theater? (the later is my objective)
I wasn't trying to be all inclusive, I just thought it would be a little hasty to just turn up, make one post and expect someone to store my files ~~~. If the movie is alright as it is then should I upload as soon as possible?
 

AD

Finder of things, Doer of stuff
Queeg said:
I wasn't trying to be all inclusive, I just thought it would be a little hasty to just turn up, make one post and expect someone to store my files ~~~. If the movie is alright as it is then should I upload as soon as possible?
Part of the equasion needs ne be whether or not *you* are ahappy with it. If' you're not, why should we be?

Second. Taking your time to do a good product will show in the final product. There's nothing wrong with working fast, as long as the results don't look too hurried. This isn't some kind of race.

The other thing needed is how coherent the final product is. If for example one mission has you in Sol sector and then all the sudden you are in proxima with no indication of how you got there or even why you're there, you could possibly loose your audience wh may now be more busy scratching their heads to be able to pay attention to a upcoming crucial scene.

On another note, how many Gameplay videos did you end up making?
 

Raptor_Pilot

Rear Admiral
Wow!!

I checked out your sample and it was awesome. Great work. I never played WCIII but I want to play it so bad it hurts. Thanks for the few minutes of entertainment I got at 3:47 am.

We must have more of these.....
 

Queeg

Rear Admiral
AD said:
Part of the equasion needs ne be whether or not *you* are ahappy with it. If' you're not, why should we be?

Second. Taking your time to do a good product will show in the final product. There's nothing wrong with working fast, as long as the results don't look too hurried. This isn't some kind of race.

The other thing needed is how coherent the final product is. If for example one mission has you in Sol sector and then all the sudden you are in proxima with no indication of how you got there or even why you're there, you could possibly loose your audience wh may now be more busy scratching their heads to be able to pay attention to a upcoming crucial scene.

On another note, how many Gameplay videos did you end up making?
I ended up making 17 missions (last one has 3 parts) flash dual and under attack 1& 2 included, is that too little or too much I'm wondering. I am quite happy with how it is now, perhaps someone would like to watch it and tell me if its ready or not? I'm pretty sure the story makes sense but I find it hard to tell if its because I know the story or because it really does make sense. Anyway I would be very grateful if someone would like to watch it and give constructive criticism.

Raptor_Pilot said:
I checked out your sample and it was awesome. Great work. I never played WCIII but I want to play it so bad it hurts. Thanks for the few minutes of entertainment I got at 3:47 am.

We must have more of these.....
Cool thanks :)
 

Raptor_Pilot

Rear Admiral
Ok

I'll watch your movie, like I said I never played WCIII, so I can watch the movie to see if it fits together for you. If you would want me to anyway.

4:23am still no sleep. Sorry if I'm not making sense.
 

AD

Finder of things, Doer of stuff
Queeg said:
I ended up making 17 missions (last one has 3 parts) flash dual and under attack 1& 2 included, is that too little or too much I'm wondering. I am quite happy with how it is now, perhaps someone would like to watch it and tell me if its ready or not? I'm pretty sure the story makes sense but I find it hard to tell if its because I know the story or because it really does make sense. Anyway I would be very grateful if someone would like to watch it and give constructive criticism.
Hmm, in 2 hours, seventeen sounds high though especially if that is counting the three parts as one sequence. What are their average legnth? I would worry about them becoming repetitive and boring. I'm stuggling with that issue with my project. You definitely don't want to cut out anything that would be needed for the story but In my case I am certainly trying to keep the number and length of the gameplay bits down. I Don't mind watching it and giving you suggestions but I don't really want to download 1GB at 5kbps.
 

Queeg

Rear Admiral
Raptor_Pilot said:
I'll watch your movie, like I said I never played WCIII, so I can watch the movie to see if it fits together for you. If you would want me to anyway.

4:23am still no sleep. Sorry if I'm not making sense.
That would be perfect :). Since your not familiar with the story you'll be able to see if it makes sense the way it is. If you really don't mind watching it, how would you like it to be sent, ftp, IRC etc?

AD said:
Hmm, in 2 hours, seventeen sounds high though especially if that is counting the three parts as one sequence. What are their average legnth? I would worry about them becoming repetitive and boring. I'm stuggling with that issue with my project. You definitely don't want to cut out anything that would be needed for the story but In my case I am certainly trying to keep the number and length of the gameplay bits down. I Don't mind watching it and giving you suggestions but I don't really want to download 1GB at 5kbps.
Well the missions are around 1-3 minutes, I tried to make them as interesting as possible using a variety of background music and using the chase camera a lot so as its not just a view of the cockpit. The final mission spaceflight is just under 6 minutes (including paladin briefings). I did think over 2 hours was a little long but I just couldn't find anything left to cut that didn't seem important to the story...
 

AD

Finder of things, Doer of stuff
Queeg said:
That would be perfect :). Since your not familiar with the story you'll be able to see if it makes sense the way it is. If you really don't mind watching it, how would you like it to be sent, ftp, IRC etc?



Well the missions are around 1-3 minutes, I tried to make them as interesting as possible using a variety of background music and using the chase camera a lot so as its not just a view of the cockpit. The final mission spaceflight is just under 6 minutes (including paladin briefings). I did think over 2 hours was a little long but I just couldn't find anything left to cut that didn't seem important to the story...

It sounds like you're on the right track here. As far as sending the file to people, FTP is probably the easiest.

But if theres a higher speed one that can host it for you that would be best.
 

Queeg

Rear Admiral
AD said:
It sounds like you're on the right track here. As far as sending the file to people, FTP is probably the easiest.

But if theres a higher speed one that can host it for you that would be best.
Well I didn't mean FTP permenantly, I just meant for Raptor Pilot for him to see if the film needs more work along with perhaps you if you wanted to watch it. I could upload it to yousendit but it wouldn't last long with a 7 day expire. But thank you for saying I'm on the right track, I feel a little more confident now :)
 

AD

Finder of things, Doer of stuff
Queeg said:
Well I didn't mean FTP permenantly, I just meant for Raptor Pilot for him to see if the film needs more work along with perhaps you if you wanted to watch it. I could upload it to yousendit but it wouldn't last long with a 7 day expire. But thank you for saying I'm on the right track, I feel a little more confident now :)
Seven days is probably enough for the few people you want to see it so that they can provide you with feedback. Also, I'm sure you you contact chris, it could be uploaded to the CIC's server and kept non-public so that only those who you give it to vould access it Until you decide that it's the finished version or not. If it is... voila, it's already there and ready for the news update.

(I'd be happy to watch it for you... as long as I don't have to download it from the server you had the sample on)
 

Raptor_Pilot

Rear Admiral
Quote:
That would be perfect . Since your not familiar with the story you'll be able to see if it makes sense the way it is. If you really don't mind watching it, how would you like it to be sent, ftp, IRC etc?

Umm, I don't know. How big is it? Is there a way it could be Emailed to me? My Internet access is spotty at best (damn wireless). But as long as I can click on something and download it that would be fine, or send as attachment, or messenger pigeon, or something.

1:07 am I'm still awake. I don't know whats wrong with me...
 

Queeg

Rear Admiral
Raptor_Pilot said:
Quote:
Umm, I don't know. How big is it? Is there a way it could be Emailed to me? My Internet access is spotty at best (damn wireless). But as long as I can click on something and download it that would be fine, or send as attachment, or messenger pigeon, or something.

1:07 am I'm still awake. I don't know whats wrong with me...
I don't have any servers appart from that one, email would not work well at all.

Raptor_Pilot said:
Quote:
What the H--L is FTP anyway, its been a couple years of no computer I'm a little rusty.
File transfer protocol, like a website but just for downloading and uploading files.
 

Raptor_Pilot

Rear Admiral
OK where do I go and what do I do? If there is a URL or something email it to me, or just drop a email with some instructions on where to go to see the movie. My email is in my profile. I'm new to this whole FTP thing.
 

Raptor_Pilot

Rear Admiral
Yeah I don't really have a clue but I just want to see the movie... I watched the sample two more times... I am really bored right now...

OK make that ten times. Can't wait to see the whole movie.
 
Top