The Vampire Strikes Back (May 4, 2007)

How about we take the fighter poll winners? The more I think about it, the vast differences in size for the cap ships would make a group of them difficult if we want to keep the size reasonable while maintaining detail. It'd become a similar problem that both Star Wars and Star Trek have ("Sacred scale" 2500, 1400, 1000, 537 for Trek, 22xx, 10000 etc for Star Wars).

I'm thinking 1/100 or 1/72 max fighters.

For reference, the Fine Molds Star Wars kits are all 1/72. Small enough to keep costs down, large enough for significant detail.

Yep, just like the Wraith. I guess the exception to this are the Morningstar and the Crossbow.

Well, there is a slight difference between what someone classes as their favourite overall fighter and what they might want sitting on their desk... when it's on their desk, it's just there to look good, they don't have to fly it. :)

Eg. I think the Scimitar looks very cool, but I don't particularly like flying it. Similarly, I like flying the Excalibur, but I've never really liked the look of it.

Fighters:

Vampire
Excal (my favorite)
Dralthi (I or IV)
Dragon
Rapier II

Cap Ships:

TCS Tiger's Claw (My favorite)
TCS Concordia
Hakaga class carrier
Snakier class carrier
BWS Intrepid

What do you think?

The fighter list is good, but I'd have put the Victory and Midway in the capship list. Just a guess here, but I'd guess most people would be interested in having a fighter they flew in or a carrier they served on. It's a nostalgia thing, isn't it? :)

Well, a few ships that are far from being as good as superfighters seem to be very well liked, for example the Raptor, the Arrow or the WC4 Banshee.

Well, there is a slight difference between what someone classes as their favourite overall fighter and what they might want sitting on their desk... when it's on their desk, it's just there to look good, they don't have to fly it. :)

Eg. I think the Scimitar looks very cool, but I don't particularly like flying it. Similarly, I like flying the Excalibur, but I've never really liked the look of it.

The fighter list is good, but I'd have put the Victory and Midway in the capship list. Just a guess here, but I'd guess most people would be interested in having a fighter they flew in or a carrier they served on. It's a nostalgia thing, isn't it? :)

Well... I do love the way the Excal looks, but it's a matter of preference

On the Victory/Midway, I was going to add them to my list, I loved those ships, but I thought they where very simple models, and I would rather have a Hakaga or a Confederation class ship, they seem to be more complex and more pleasing to the eye...

Well... I do love the way the Excal looks, but it's a matter of preference

It's only the side view I dislike, to be honest. I just think the cockpit looks too small in comparison to the huge fins at the back.

I like the way it looks in the Kilrathi Saga intro movie, because you never see it from that angle, hehe.

On the Victory/Midway, I was going to add them to my list, I loved those ships, but I thought they where very simple models, and I would rather have a Hakaga or a Confederation class ship, they seem to be more complex and more pleasing to the eye...

Oh... I'd have said the Midway is one of the most interesting and unusual capship designs in Wing Commander. I love the way it loads and shoots the fighters out like bullets. :)

Tiger's claw would be an awesome eyecatcher, I saw a model here some time ago, capturing even minor details to it.

For a fighter, a dralthi mark IV would be a nice decoration.

Tiger's claw would be an awesome eyecatcher, I saw a model here some time ago, capturing even minor details to it.

For a fighter, a dralthi mark IV would be a nice decoration.

I'm certain any model of this quality of any WC ship would be greatly admired, even if it was a Confed shuttle. It is so hard to choose just one. I really hope this guy reappears to make this come to fruition.

I really got no reply to my suggestion of using the fighter polls.

Again, I don't think a cap ship is the way to start due to scale issues.

Also, it'd be easier to have a "wing" of something on your desk rather than a pair of the same cap ship.

Back