The Two Towers (SPOILERS)

ChrisReid

Super Soaker Collector / Administrator
The Two Towers

Guess I'll be the one to start it. Try to be smart with the spoilers this time and all. Whew! Just got back. I liked it a whole lot. Still trying to digest. Not as wowed by the overall experience, however thinking back there was probably more raw coolness in this movie over the first one. Loved all the awesome battles. The fate of Gandalf down the hole was pretty great. Just lots of cool parts all throughout. Lots to think about between the two movies. When you put the two in context next to eachother things get quite interesting. What if they had taken the Gap of Rohan instead of having gone through the Mines of Moria. Might have been better, might have been worse. They were worried about being so close to Isengard, yet they mostly ended up right smack in the middle of Rohan anyways.

Was reading some impressions on another forum and they reminded me of a bunch of wow moments. Legolas swinging onto the horse during the march to helms deep was crazily well done. Everyone in the audience gasped.

I can guarantee you me and LOAF shared many "wow" moments during the WC Movie premiere. :)

Don't Worry Chris, I wasn't completly dissing the Movie. I enjoyed it, why else would I own it on VHS?

Re: The Two Towers

Originally posted by ChrisReid
Try to be smart with the spoilers this time and all.

Yes, and also in the weeks ahead, because the release dates in other countries are not the same as in the US. In Brazil, for instance, it´ll be released in Dec. 27.

Poor Indonesians will watch the movie only 12 months from now.

I saw the movie last night too. I'll and try to keep SPOILERS to a minimum (even though this book has been in print for 50 years or so)

*The movie opened REALLY well. Chris knows what I'm talking about. I would also like to emphasize that any scene with Gandalf immedeately makes the movie better.

*I liked the confrontation between Gandalf and Saruman.

*Helm's Deep suffered from something I was expecting: there was SO much going on, the camera really couldn't show much except soldiers and Uruk-Hai fighting really close together for the most part.

*My favorite new character Wormtounge, played by Brad Dourif. I happen to love him as an actor to start and I was sick of him just being known for one Oscar-Nod centuries ago and doing the voice of Chucky in "Child's Play".

*This movie confirms my reason for living is to fight a Balrog. All else is fleeting.

*Surprisingly, I found the CGI to either be quite lacking or extremely realistic. There were shots that I could've sworn were using rear-projection (Think of when cars are driving in old movies and you see the scenery passing by) and other shots, like Isengaurd, to be incredibly vivid.

*Ents rule, but I found the voice actor for Treebeard to be too... obvious. I won't say who it is to prevent innocent ears from not enjoying the role, but it made me squirm.

*I think a lot more liberties were taken with this film. The book at no humor I could think of outside the "game" between Gimli and Legolas and yet they deligate the "humor" to our friend Dwarf. I find this upsetting, as Gimli was really rough-n-tumble in the book; to see him doing one-liners and such was disheartening to me. Not to say the humor is bad, most of it is good... but it seemed out of place, like Moses ripping ass while leading the Jews out of Egypt or something.

I would also like to say that this review may be skewed for several reasons. First off, I nearly shit my goddamned pants at the first one, so perhaps I was expecting too much.

Secondly, this movie, much like the book, starts off on the idea that you already saw the previous installment, skipping backstory; it's a great idea, but it leaves one in the breeze for a while. I'm sure it'll be more effective when I can see the film's back-to-back.

Finally, the fuckers in the theater I went to were either Highlander fans stuck in 1992 (Trenchcoat, ponytail, attempt at looking angry all the time) or bratty couples. There was a LOT (repeat for effect: LOT) of people laughing at inappropriate times, like all the conversations between Gollum and Smeagol, which were disturbing for me to watch. There was also two or three people way in the back who clapped when any little thing happened, which was annoying since you'll see an expository "riding through Middle-Earth" shot with Howard Shore booming and then *clap-clap-clap*. Whomever these fuckers are better lock their doors because I'm breaking in and eating their babies or something, as they clapped literally every 15-20 minutes.

Final rating: Liked it a lot, but still perfer Fellowship. Though only slightly.

Originally posted by Aries
one question...how does it compare to the books.

Wel, Lehah obviously read them and I did not. So you can see our takes are slightly skewed on that. I really didn't have anything negative to talk about, and most of Lehah's negative things are changes from the book or general filmmaking. Overall there are only a couple changes that really stand out. They changed Faramir's attitude, though by the end of the movie things end up the same as they do in the book. And I did watch Fellowship just before Two Towers, so it was just like a great epic ride for me.

they also changed some things about eomer and eowyn, which was fine

but the change of faramir disturbed me, i loved him in the books but they ruined him as far as i'm concerned for the movie

i saw the movie today... first off, i thought it was amazing... the whole battle scene and Aragorn(sp?) is so badass in this movie... that character is now one of my favs of all time... now i wasn't as in awe this time but that's understandable and i can't wait to watch this one right after the fellowship... there was a few too many one liners but it did add a little humor to it so its not such a bad thing... but overall i loved it and i most likely will ended up seeing it at least one more time in theaters....

Saw it at 12:01am EST this morning, ie first showing in the eastern us.

FREAKING INCREDABLE.

Where do i begin:
1. T3 and Xmen2 previews FLOORED ME, everyone in the theater (comprised 100% of either nerds or stoners) started cheering.

2. Balrog vs Gandalf in that battle falling down into the abyss, best start to a movie EVER.

3. The ents ROCK, how can you beat them? they are INCREDABLE

4. Battle of Helm's Deep, best battle scene in a movie in all of human history.

The T3 trailer reminded me why I shouldn't bring children into this world. That damned... thing... was 10000 times worse than the damned Daredevil trailer. And the fact that they got the T-800 to say "She'll be back..." ruins one of the great movie scenes of the 1980s.

It looks TERRIBLE.

Chris? Thoughts?

What the Short Dead Dude said, but I also agree with Millzy about the one-liners. FotR was better maintaining the seriousness of the situation, IMHO. In Fellowship, it made you feel the evil going on, and it gave that 'Oh Shit' feeling. In TTT, that feeling was quenched by the one-liners, again IMHO. Because of the way they were handled, I wouldn't have been surprised if Arwen had ripped one, or something like that. Basically, what I'm trying to say is, instead of being in awe or respecting the war going on in the movie, I was always half-expecting Gimli to fall on his butt in the middle of battle.

Other than that, the movie was outstanding; I would watch it over and over like I still do with FotR. Oh yeah, and the moves that Legolas pulled off in there were some of the best I've ever seen. The bit with getting on a moving horse, and going down the Hornberg steps on a shield blasting arrows was timeless!

I'll just chime in since I don't have much time here, the movie was awsome. I easily would consider seeing it again...and now that I mention that...

Originally posted by Napoleon
1. T3 and Xmen2 previews FLOORED ME, everyone in the theater (comprised 100% of either nerds or stoners) started cheering.

No T3 for me. :( The film ripped or something a few minutes into the commercials and they had to spend 10 minutes fixing it. Whether or not that influenced which trailers I saw, there was no T3. There were lots of cool trailers though. I'm very excited about the Dumb and Dumberer prequel and the Final Destination sequel.

2. Balrog vs Gandalf in that battle falling down into the abyss, best start to a movie EVER.

Already said I love the Balrog.. though the Kilrathi going Pearl Harbor on Pegasus Station was a pretty great start to a movie too.

4. Battle of Helm's Deep, best battle scene in a movie in all of human history.

Makes me excited for the super battle at the end of Return of the King.. supposed to blow away Helms Deep even.

dumb and dumberer should be great... i had a good laugh when saw that... i miss i got to see the new x-men preview... although i didn't like the first movie all that much... but i've only seen it once and i would see it again... does anyone know when the soundtrack for the two towers comes out or is it already out?

KICK ASS!!!!!!! and even that can't express my feelings toward TTT. its been said before but i'll say it again: Balrog vs. Gandalf - best start to a movie. Battle of Helm's Deep - best battle ever (it beats the battle for Mordor at the beginning of FOTR, which was my previous fav. battle scene) and if the battle of Minas Tirith (ROTK battle) is gonna be better, all i can say is GODDAMN!!!! even though i knew what to expect with the Nazgul riding that flying thing, i still said holy shit when i saw it. i can't wait for the DVD to come out. about the only thing i didn't like about it was they cut out a lot, i'm talking about 6 chapters, from the book, but i'll have to wait for ROTK before i can really pass judgement. the change of Faramir was disturbing, but hell, you can't expect all the good guys to be able to resist the temptation of ultimate power, even if they know its evil.

Back