The "the price of freedom" Movie Project

Queeg said:
I found a video very similar to this project, It had the wing commander 4 dvd version turned into a movie. Although I am much looking forward to seeing your version, this version I found had a couple important flaws. Absolutely no gameplay in the film, this of course left gaps in the story and someone who hasn't played the game from start to finish is likely to be confused watching it. Also the film was 3 hours long! It had all the mission briefings but no space flight at all. One scene it has the mission briefing of a convoy in trouble and then it cuts to a scene with Melek.

After seeing your sample of gameflight, I can see its going to action packed with no story left out :). After finding the other version, I chose wing commander III in hope that it hadn't been done before. I didn't see this thread until after I finished the project (before that I had just been reading wing commander general chat). I read through it before posting and figured this was the right place to post.

Anyway I wont ramble any longer, I can't wait till your WC4 movie is finished :)

That would have been my release or at least sounds like it :)

Like Rapiter Pilot already said: "But, all of that depends on the audience. Someone who has played WC4 to death probably wouldn't want to watch a bunch of in-game stuff thinking 'been there done that'. But for someone who hasn't played, the in game stuff is cool, and exciting, as long as it's done properly."

I did the movie for myself. I took as many shots as possible and still cut out over an hour of other choices that you could make.
Ofcourse people that wont have played the game will be confused. But I dont give a crap, I did it for me. My version is a long talky political thriller.

The spaceflight takes out the realism but adds more story.

Still, would love to see your version AD :)

Wing Commander IV PSX Project

This is my first time on the forums, so I'm not sure if I should have started my own thread about this or posted in a different thread. Inspired by AD's samples and Queeg's WC3 movie, I've started putting together a WC4 movie just for the hell of it, getting the movie files from the DVD and the gameplay footage from the PSX version, eliminating all the futzing about with FRAPS and whatnot. Only problem is, the DVD-Rs from the recorder I have my PlayStation hooked into don't seem to be getting along with my copy of Nero Burning Rom 6. Now Nero will convert the WC4 VOBS into MPEGS nice as you please, but it refuses to convert the DVD-R VOBS of the PSX gameplay. None of the boxes for the various DVD burning programs mention DVD-R one way or the other, at least not in the very specific capacity I need them to, so I asked around and was directed to DVD Shrink, but their website implies that it's illegal to download the thing in the US, so I was wondering if anybody had any advice about any other, legal applications I should look into for this? Also, as long as I'm here, I wanted to know if there's room on this site for two WC4 movie projects(or maybe three or four, I haven't spent that much time exploring the forums so there could already be others I don't know about yet). I'm just doing this for my own enjoyment, and I certainly don't want to seem like I'm muscling in on AD's territory here. But mainly I just need help on the DVD-R thing. And yes, I know I'm entirely too fond of run-on sentences.

Roger Wilco, Signing Off

R. Wilco said:
Also, as long as I'm here, I wanted to know if there's room on this site for two WC4 movie projects(or maybe three or four, I haven't spent that much time exploring the forums so there could already be others I don't know about yet). I'm just doing this for my own enjoyment, and I certainly don't want to seem like I'm muscling in on AD's territory here. But mainly I just need help on the DVD-R thing. And yes, I know I'm entirely too fond of run-on sentences.

Roger Wilco, Signing Off

You need to actually rip the DVD-r with a program like DVD decrypter to access the VOBs properly.

I guess how much room there is in the playhouse depends on the quality of your offering and how similar the cuts are more than the fact that someone like myself is doing one too.

Well one area of difference is definitely going to be length. The goal I've set for myself is to be able to fit it on 2 DVDs--that probably means it's going to be a full four hours or close to it. Bloated is probably a good word for it, but I figure what the hell. Anyway, thanks for the decrypter advice.

R. Wilco said:
Well one area of difference is definitely going to be length. The goal I've set for myself is to be able to fit it on 2 DVDs--that probably means it's going to be a full four hours or close to it. Bloated is probably a good word for it, but I figure what the hell. Anyway, thanks for the decrypter advice.

If that's the case I don't think there's any real reason to provide that version for others as they will be able to in 30 minutes to an hour either make a playlist of all th movie files that they want in a particular path or they could just start up the game and play it for themselves. I suppose some people might be interested in it if it's the DVD footage for the quality if they have the CD version but I Just don't see it being worth my time downloading it if it doesnt have something to offer that I can't get easily enough on my own. Though I suppose I am somewhat biased.

I want to add something to this thread for those who play around with the wing IV dvd vob files. I've made two different mpeg II (no conversion-just merging of vobs) editions of wing IV movie and there is a bug in the mpeg II encoding in the vob where admiral Wilford says "something terrible has apparently happened in the telamon system". Powerdvd did handle it, but my playstation2 locks up at this point. keep in mind, u sexeh fan movie editors. recode that particular vob.

splintercell56 said:
Is any part of the movie avaliable for download yet?

Not yet but I was thinking of putting up the first 40 minutes as a work-in-progress kind of thing for you guys to provide input on. Does that sound interesting? (It wouldn't have music and some edits might not match the finished product.)

Here it is: Part one - work in progress (you may need to right-click and save-as rather than just clicking to get it to work)

Please keep in mind that this is not the finished product, however constructive critiscm is appreciated. There is no music other than what was originaly in the video files, and, while most of it will remain the same, not all the cuts are final.

Part of the reason you haven't heard much recently is because I was sidetracked with other pursuits. However, I also had to recover from a harddrive failure. That set me back some and some things ended up needind redone. As is, all the movies (minus gamplay) are pretty much completely edited, though not necessarily final. I'm pretty much almost back where I was before the crash. ( I would have been there sooner but I also realized that it would be more harmonious to "score" the movie later than to have added music to each individual gameplay piece first. So I tould the opportunity to go back and redo all the gameplay bits. (besides... I'm a lot better at it now... or at least I'd like to think so)

Oh... If you have trouble playing it, it's a Divx 6.2.5 so you might want the latest version of the codec (thought I should add that just in case).

looks graeat, waiting for the full version :D

BTW Is it me, or there is a little part of the conversation missing in the transport scene in the beginning (the litiltle corner of the galaxy quote)?

AD said:
Here it is: Part one - work in progress (you may need to right-click and save-as rather than just clicking to get it to work)

Please keep in mind that this is not the finished product, however constructive critiscm is appreciated. There is no music other than what was originaly in the video files, and, while most of it will remain the same, not all the cuts are final.

Part of the reason you haven't heard much recently is because I was sidetracked with other pursuits. However, I also had to recover from a harddrive failure. That set me back some and some things ended up needind redone. As is, all the movies (minus gamplay) are pretty much completely edited, though not necessarily final. I'm pretty much almost back where I was before the crash. ( I would have been there sooner but I also realized that it would be more harmonious to "score" the movie later than to have added music to each individual gameplay piece first. So I tould the opportunity to go back and redo all the gameplay bits. (besides... I'm a lot better at it now... or at least I'd like to think so)

Movies looking great so far AD :). The gameplay and fmv fit nicely, felt like a real movie. The only thing I wasn't too keen on was that it opened with the conversation between Tolwyn and Paladin instead of Blair and Maniac, thats just personal preference though. Can't wait until the whole thing :)

Great! I probably won't download this version (Wouldn't be much point anyway, since my soundcard is FUBAR.), but I'm glad to see your project is progressing so well.:)

Mancubus said:
BTW Is it me, or there is a little part of the conversation missing in the transport scene in the beginning (the litiltle corner of the galaxy quote)?

Nope, it should be in there.

Queeg said:
Movies looking great so far AD . The gameplay and fmv fit nicely, felt like a real movie. The only thing I wasn't too keen on was that it opened with the conversation between Tolwyn and Paladin instead of Blair and Maniac, thats just personal preference though. Can't wait until the whole thing

Thanks Queeg. Regarding the opening, my reasoning was kind of as follows:

1/ the scene doesnt work in the middle of the movie. It's purely an expository scene. and doesnt move the plot forward at all and is pretty much in the middle to tell us that there's only one week left in the countdown. In a movie version, (and in the game too in my opinion) the scene comes across ackward and breaks up the flow too much.

2/2It does tell us some interesting things though. It's a nice conversation between Tolwyn and Paladin.

In some respects it helps tint the rest of the first part of the movie by essentially giving away Blair's defection. BUT, we learn right away that there are many problems on the frontier. Paladin doesnt think blair would have defected. As does a viewer who may have seen the first games/ movie and not WC4. So they automatically go "what the hell! what would make Blair - of all people - defect?" So in some respects they pay more attention to the little details in the first part of the movie because they have these questions in the back of their mind.

I might shorten the scene a bit though, I don't know yet. and I'm hoping that adding some music (nothing to in-your-face) will spice it up there a little.

AD said:
Nope, it should be in there.

Thanks Queeg. Regarding the opening, my reasoning was kind of as follows:

1/ the scene doesnt work in the middle of the movie. It's purely an expository scene. and doesnt move the plot forward at all and is pretty much in the middle to tell us that there's only one week left in the countdown. In a movie version, (and in the game too in my opinion) the scene comes across ackward and breaks up the flow too much.

2/2It does tell us some interesting things though. It's a nice conversation between Tolwyn and Paladin.

In some respects it helps tint the rest of the first part of the movie by essentially giving away Blair's defection. BUT, we learn right away that there are many problems on the frontier. Paladin doesnt think blair would have defected. As does a viewer who may have seen the first games/ movie and not WC4. So they automatically go "what the hell! what would make Blair - of all people - defect?" So in some respects they pay more attention to the little details in the first part of the movie because they have these questions in the back of their mind.

I might shorten the scene a bit though, I don't know yet. and I'm hoping that adding some music (nothing to in-your-face) will spice it up there a little.

Ah I see, it makes sense to me now. Some dramatic yet mellow background music could fit quite nicely. Just seemed a little strange having a flash forward at the beginning of the film, I have only seen this done in tv shows. Then again, who is to say a film can't do the same. Sounds like you made the right decision, thanks for the preview, I am itching to see this :)

Oh and P.S - I'm liking the little typing titles, seemed a bit strange at first having a keyboard typing sound rather than the traditional typewriter, but this is based in the future afterall. Well it's these things that make the movie more original, which is a refreshing change from the same old stuff thats on in the cinema these days.

*Two Thumbs Up*

Queeg said:
Oh and P.S - I'm liking the little typing titles, seemed a bit strange at first having a keyboard typing sound rather than the traditional typewriter, but this is based in the future afterall. *Two Thumbs Up*

I would have used the sound from the movie but I haven't managed to Isolate it cleanly enough yet. So as is, it really is just me typing on the keyboard.

The download link indicates that the file is currently inaccessible -- have the transfers exceeded the host's bandwidth allocation or has the URL changed?

I'm looking forward to seeing the progress so far. :)

Cheers,

Bryn

BrynS said:
have the transfers exceeded the host's bandwidth allocation or has the URL changed?

Looks like its a cheap-ass hosting site. Badwidth is already used up for the *ENTIRE* month. I couldnt even get it to complete uploading on filefront. I might try again. Any know a better site? I don't care if it's not permanent as long as up for more than half a day...

Back