The Subtle Approach

Dragon1

Rear Admiral
Ok, I think I have come up with a way to appease all parties with the regards to canon ship specs.

This is what we know as established in the canon

1) Light Carrier
Ranger-class
Length: 720 meters
Mass: 28,000 tonnes
Max speed: 120 kps
Shields: 3000 cm
Armor: 1000 / 1000 / 1000 / 1000 cm
Weapons: Laser Turrets (11)
CSM launcher
Fighters: 40

2) Fleet Carrier
Concordia-class
Length: 800 meters
Mass: Unknown
Max speed: 150 kps
Shields: 3200 cm (800 x 4)
Armor: 300 / 300 / 300 / 300 cm
Weapons: Laser Turrets (12)
Fighters: 84-96

3) Heavy Carrier
Lexington-class
Length: 725 meters
Mass: 3,250 metric tonnes
Max speed: 50 kps
Shields: 240 cm (120 x 2)
Armor: 900 / 900 / 900 / 900 (plasteel was used)
Weapons: Flak Cannons (10)
Fighters: 18

What we can derive

- The Victory was specifically refit, not necessarily the entire Ranger-class. The armor specs on the Concordia class may more accurately reflect the armor on those Rangers not updated (hence they would have 300 cm per quad as opposed to 1000 cm). The Lex's 900 cm armor as compared to the 300 cm on the Concordia-class goes along way to help the 'heavy' designation. Also remember that ships in WC2, the CVS for example had 500 cm armor. So a CV with 300 and a heavy CV with 900 would make sense.

- We can assume that shield figures are not just reliant on the power of the field being emitted, but also in relation to the weapons being used against it. For example the WC1 Bengal class CV is stated to have a 36 cm forward shield, well we might be able to assume that this is not an absolute figure of strength, but a ratio determined by the opponents weapon technology. So the 120 cm forward shield on the Lex could have been rated as strong as 2000, 3000, 4000 cm in 2668 (or whatever you want to make it), but when the gun tech increased drastically in 2669, Lexington's shield ratio decreased. Other ships of the Lexington class would probably have been refit to ensure their shields kept pace with Kilrathi weapon development.

- The Lexington's departure from Confed space ensures that she could not be refit along with other ships from her class.The Victory was refit to carry Laser Turrets, we might be able to assume that some of the Lexington class were also refit in a similar fashion. The Lexington herself may have only taken on 18 fighters to make room for other Spec Ops hardware. The fighter complement of other ships in this class could far exceed this puny number.

- The Ranger class CV mass is stated as 28,000 tonnes. The Lexington's is stated as 3,250 tonnes. Would it really be a stretch to say that the Lex's mass is really 32,500 tonnes? Let's suppose that this is accepted for the benefit of the mod (not canon, we already know the canon figure is 3,250 tonnes). Then this again would balance in the WC universe.

Ranger-class CV (light)
720 meters x 28,000 tonnes

Concordia-class CV (fleet or standard)
800 meters x about 30,000 tonnes

Lexington-class CV (heavy)
725 meters x 32,500 tonnes

Doesn't this look balanced to you guys?

The only discrepancies might be the CVS and the Bengal CV. Let's look at both:

Terran Confederation class CVS
983.7 meters x 73,000 tonnes
Point #1- We have no idea how much mass the PT cannon is.
Point #2- The design of the CVS is much bulkier than any of the CVs listed above.

Bengal class CV
F.1 625 meters x 55,000 tonnes
F.2 690 meters x 80,000 tonnes
Point #1- The Bengal class has at least 12 launch tubes and can scramble the deck in 12 minutes.
Point #2- The aft hull section is far greater in overall beam than any of the afforementioned CVs. The engines of the Bengal easily take more up more space than those found on other capital ships.

So, here is the comprimise...

1) Light Carrier
Ranger-class
Length: 720 meters
Mass: 28,000 tonnes
Speed: 120 kps
Shields: 3000 cm
Armor: 300 cm / quad (1000 cm / quad on updated ships)
Weapons: Flak (11), CSM (1)
Updated Ships: Laser Turrets (11), CSM (1)
Fighters: 40

2) Fleet Carrier
Concordia-class
Length: 800 meters
Mass: 30,000 tonnes
Speed: 150 kps
Shields: 3200 cm
Armor: 300 cm / quad (1000 cm / quad on updated ships)
Weapons: Flak (12)
Updated ships: Laser Turrets (12)
Figthters: 96

3) Heavy Carrier
Lexington-class
Length: 725 meters
Mass: 32,500 tonnes
Speed: 50 kps
Shields: 3200-4000 cm (240 cm on non-updated ships)
Armor: 900 cm / quad (is the update to 1000 really necessary?)
Weapons: Flak (10)
Updated Ships: Laser Turrets (10)
Fighters: > 96

I know I am probably going to catch alot of heat for this post, but I think it might be a reasonable compromise between the canon and the story you guys are trying to tell. What do you think?

Wow! You have certainly put a lot of work into that list, and we are very thankful for that. You are quite dedicated to trying to help things work out!

As far as implimentation is concerned, while I think we will leave things the way they are ingame (balancing issues and all, you know), I wouldn't have a problem utilizing the stats you put together in some way. There will doubtlessly be those who have a differing opinion, but the reasoning you hve put together is workable, and hence good enough from my point of view. I am, however, not the most meticulous when it comes to this sort of thing.

Of course, whether or not we use your work will be up to other members of the team in charge of the background and continuity, and that may not happen for awhile due to our priority list.

Whether or not we end up using it, though, thank you for the work you have put into it. We can tell you are eager to play, and we are eager to get WC Saga to you as soon as possible.

Ah just made a suggestion like that in the other topic.
I am no expert in stats but I think that this could be helpfull in getting things done. Thanks for the help.

Back