The Styles of Wing Commander

Which Style of Wing Commander Do You Like??

• "Let's Look Like the Navy Circa 1941" (Wing Commander)

Votes: 14 22.6%
  • The Future... 80s Style (Wing Commander II)

Votes: 10 16.1%
  • Industrial, Haggered and Tired (Wing Commander III)

Votes: 16 25.8%
  • Proud & Polished (Wing Commander IV: Confed)

Votes: 6 9.7%
  • Industrial, Haggered and Tired... and Poor (Wing Commander IV: UBW)

Votes: 8 12.9%
  • "Let's Look Tough Now" (Wing Commander Prophecy)

Votes: 8 12.9%

• Total voters
Re: Re: Speaking on Styles....

Originally posted by junior

Well what have we got? Let's see...
Between the original games and WC3...

I like how you don't consider WC3 one of the original games. :D

Re: Speaking on Styles....

Originally posted by Col.Dom
You know, this site ought to have a page where they show the evolution of our favorite characters. You know, have face shots of each of the characters from each of the games.

Like, Blair's progress from 2nd Lieutenant "Bluehair," and Maniac's, um, apparent crack addiction. I think it'd be neat-o :D

The data isn't complete or completely accurate, but NavPoint has pictures of characters from various sources. http://www.blacklance.org/locke/navpoint

TC

Re: Re: Re: Speaking on Styles....

Originally posted by Skyfire

I like how you don't consider WC3 one of the original games. :D

The differentiation is largely because of the change from simple animation to fmv. I meant original as in the origin of...
not that WC3 wasn't a true Wing Commander game...

/bonk!

I preferred the cartoon versions of Angel and Paladin... I just can't picture John Rhys-Davies wearing those colorful shirts from WC2, and the WC3 Angel looks too damn weak to have been commander of the Concordia's fighter wing :p

However, apart from that, the look of the FMV characters is much more fitting to their personalities, I think. (well, except for Maniac... both the cartoon and the FMV looks are very fitting, but that's because the character goes from being a crack head to being a funny guy)

While on this subject, when I first played WC4, for some reason Hawk struck me as the perfect FMV version of good ol' Major Iceman Casey.

--Eder

Well... the WC2 version of Angel looked, uh, whorish....

I think the WC1 Angel looked the best! There was at least a slight resemblance between the WC1 Angel and the WC3 one (the excuse could be that she wanted a perm)!

As for Maniac, I think Tom Wilson sort of resembled the WC1 Maniac. Wherever the WC2 Maniac came from (Hell, maybe)?? I still think that Tom Wilson is the best Maniac out there (Matthew Lillard was a shoe-in for the role too)!

Paladin... what happened there!?!

... and they could've at least dyed Mark Hamill's hair blue, you know?

Whorish? Well, you're entitled to your opinion, of course, but I don't see what was so bad about the way she was drawn in that game. I did find her refusal to believe in the stealth fighters a little annoying, but that's a differant story.

I also don't see what was so weak about the WC3 Angel (Eder's post a little lower down.) All the time we see her in that game, she was a Kilrathi prisoner, which would be a tough situation for anyone. I thought the way she stood up up Thrakath was pretty impressive. It certainly seemed to impress the Kilrathi, as they decided to give her a warrior's death, at the hands of the Prince himself.

Re Paladin. I think he tucked into a few too many state dinners and government luncheons since he was promoted to field rank. :D

Best, Raptor

Well..

WC1 had very much the same style as WC2 except for a few *slight* changes (no more stupid space-ejection jeans and leather jackets, but still the motorcycle helmets) but when I first tried WC3, it was *woah*. That shift was REALLY different. It got rid of the quiet look of the 'claw. Personally, I liked the "green" look of the wc2 and 1 ships, because it made it so much more "WW2".

Anyway, notice how some parts of WC=WW2. Kats launch surprise attack on Sol (after fake treaty), destroys lotsa fleet, then, a lone craft moves in and takes out their planet with one bomb, ending the war, and forcing the cats into only having a non-agressive and very lightly armed defense force (if that.) And, there are still kitties (cult of sivar) fighting after a while like there were still japanese guys out in the 1970's on islands fighting.

Oh well, another partially off-topic post.

Originally posted by NoRemorse
Don't you think WC2 uniforms are the best ?

No freakin way. They were way too eccentric. WC4: Confed had the best uniforms for a space-faring military fleet.

w00t w00t :D

Originally posted by Col.Dom

No freakin way. They were way too eccentric. WC4: Confed had the best uniforms for a space-faring military fleet.

w00t w00t :D

But movie's one are... well... i can't find the words to describe these... hummm... these pyjamas ?

Originally posted by NoRemorse

But movie's one are... well... i can't find the words to describe these... hummm... these pyjamas ?

The movie's uniforms say "Ha ha! The Soviet Union won the Cold War! Red armyyy!!"

Boo the Wing Commander Movie :mad:

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
You're confusing the Wing Commander Movie with Super Wing Commander.

HAHAHA! Yes, Super Wing Commander was even more so a follower of Stalin fashion. I say the Movie had Soviet uniforms mainly from the fact that they wore those commie caps (those winter hats they all wear). You are right, though, that Super Wing Commander is the larger violator!

I had forgot to put Super Wing Commander up on the poll. It was going to read "Sputnik Wasn't the Only Cosmic Conquest for the Soviet Union! (Super WC)" :D

I liked the WC4: Border worlds uniforms best, but I really liked the WCM flight suits. They were cool, I thought.

But, then again, I actually still believe in communism. :D

Back