The Styles of Wing Commander

Which Style of Wing Commander Do You Like??

• "Let's Look Like the Navy Circa 1941" (Wing Commander)

Votes: 14 22.6%
  • The Future... 80s Style (Wing Commander II)

Votes: 10 16.1%
  • Industrial, Haggered and Tired (Wing Commander III)

Votes: 16 25.8%
  • Proud & Polished (Wing Commander IV: Confed)

Votes: 6 9.7%
  • Industrial, Haggered and Tired... and Poor (Wing Commander IV: UBW)

Votes: 8 12.9%
  • "Let's Look Tough Now" (Wing Commander Prophecy)

Votes: 8 12.9%

• Total voters
I would go for the BW, both for the uniforms (that dark blue with the green and gold insigina looks great) and for the look of their fighters. They departed quite a bit from the traditional fighter designs with the Banshee and the Vindicator, which does a lot to set them apart. It empasises their induviduality.

I didn't like the WC4 Confed much because it was too spit and polish, more concerned with appearances snd promotions than combat results. That's the kind of system that puts guys like Paulsen in charge of fleet carriers. Confed might have looked nice in WC4 and all, but they weren't too combat effective.

Best, Raptor

*L* although I think Confed's problem was that it became confused as to what to do with itself after spending so many years in a war.

Wing Commander 2 for me. Though WCP has IMO the best blend of functionality and look in terms of uniforms and suits.

Originally posted by Wulf
Uh oh, I detect a very heated debate in the near future here!

Heh. I think not, because it takes too much effort to duplicate postings. If anyone wants to bebate Tolwyn/The Project/The Black Lance it's more eaily done over the "evil" thread.

Best, Raptor

And yet it keeps being brought up over and over again. :D I think that topic's like a sore tooth for us wingnuts, we just have to keep worrying at it even though we know were not going to solve anything.

Best, Raptor

I'm going to have to go with WC3, if only because that's kinda the way I could see myself in the miltary. :) Either going with the BW, or WC3 (after having such a long war, you kinda tend to lose all that stupid protocols that have little use).

It was a tough choice between WC2 and 3. I chooce 2 because it fells logical for its setting and it introduced me to WC. WC3's style is also great for it's setting. The rest don't seem to match very well with that is supposed to be going on in them. They do come close sometimes, but not often.

I'd say a close run between WC1 and WCP. I like the original WC1 quite a bit because of the atmosphere. WCP edges it out slightly, but mainly because of the mechanical stuff. The shipboard atmosphere itself didn't feel much like Confed was at war.

I decided to go with Prophecy, eventually, because it really was a challenge and great fun on the higher difficulties...and how I imagine how better it could have been with the original team developing it (that would've been saweet)!

I still go with WC4: Confed. I'm more attracted to the professional aesthetics than anything. I loved the uniforms (very distinguishing and formal) and the cleanliness of the Lexington and the finishing touches on the ships. It had a very professional military look to it. The style ruled!

Does no one agree with me :( ??

I'm also biased towards Confed, so seeing it all glorious and proud was awesome!

Sorry, but I can't. When I was watching Blair roam through the ship's corridors, it looked like he was on his way to the high school prom because of the decor. I mean, the carpeting, lighting, and walls just looked SO Martha Stewart!:p
I need a cool metallic sound when I walk and that neat 'whoosh-CLANG' sound when doors open and close. I prefer looking like a man on a mission instead of on my way to take pictures with my girlfriend!:p

Kinda like the Intrepid.:)

Well, I feel that the decor and uniforms of WC4 looked more like being a man on a mission. In WC3 and WC4: UBW, IMHO, it looks like being a man who would like to go to bed (don't get me wrong, it fits the atmosphere perfectly)!

I like the vision of military pride and might in the face of insurmountable odds (rather than the vision of tiredness and lax). WC4: Confed's look conveyed a sense of pride, urgency and might. Truly, Confed looked at its prime....

WC1

Come on! WC1 Claw baby!

Lets see... The claw is DRIPPING water... there's a cheap bar with a video game in it... There's a bikini picture on the wall... What's not to like about WC1 style? Anyway... how DOES blair eject into space wearing only a pair of jeans, leather jacket and motorcycle helmet? Damn 27th century technology.

Say it with me: Spaaaceee levis!

Originally posted by Col.Dom
Well, I feel that the decor and uniforms of WC4 looked more like being a man on a mission. In WC3 and WC4: UBW, IMHO, it looks like being a man who would like to go to bed (don't get me wrong, it fits the atmosphere perfectly)!

I like the vision of military pride and might in the face of insurmountable odds (rather than the vision of tiredness and lax). WC4: Confed's look conveyed a sense of pride, urgency and might. Truly, Confed looked at its prime....

Er, what insurmountable odds? Trying to beat up on bunch of half trained Border Worlders who were flying Sabres and Ferrets and whose flagship was a destroyer 20 years out of date? Beides, if WC4 showed the Confed military at its best, then I wonder how the hell Confed survived as long as it did. That half trained bunch of Border Worlders and their allies were able to cripple one fleet carrier, capture a second, destroy a third and hijack a fourth. Confed might have looked all prim and proper in WC4, but that had very little to with their fighting spirit or combat effectiveness. That's not even getting into the corruption and the breakdown in Confed's values that allowed it to be manipulated like it was.

Best, Raptor

Well... crap, good points....

But we're talking the bark, not the bite. Don't you think that, aesthetically speaking, Confed in WC4 stands above the crowd?

:confused:

Back