The sonic accelerator

I like this explanation Corsair, but... in that case you would be shooting "sonic canisters" at the enemy? Basically we're more talking about a missile here... :)

If you want to stick with the "sonic canister" concept, without it becoming a hard-shelled missile, how's this: the gun produces the sonic vibration, encapsulates it in a magnetic-field (or something similar) 'bubble' and fires the bubble-missile at the enemy. When the magnetic field impacts on the enemy's hull/shields, it bursts, channelling all of the vibration into a single spot, like a shaped-charge explosive. The magnetic field would replace any limited onboard 'ammo' supply of canisters to carry the sound...

Basically we're more talking about a missile here...

I think you're pretty accurate in concept, but I suppose it could still fall under the category of guns. I believe another weapon, (i think it's the mass driver but I'm not sure) fires highly charged particles of aluminum, accelerated to a high-velocity by being subjected through a series of oppositely charged rings (the same concept as the Ion Drive) .... Or maybe I just made that up sometime... it sounds cool to me.:D

Mmmmhh... I like Rampage's explanation though. :) The sonic burst is held as is travels through space by this "magnetic field bubble" and propagates on whatever material it hits once it touches it...
Then however, you would need a device to produce such a "magnetic bubble", so basically we're talking about a weapon based on technology scientists have not even started theoricizing about... <g>

But sure, why not I guess. :)

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
Well, yes... but the *joke* is that there's no sound in space -- thus, the 'sonic accelerator' makes no sense.

You mean like in Starship Troopers? :)

This is almost like the idiots who say 'well, Star Wars lasers have beams, and lasers don't have beams, so they must be plasma weapons!"...ignoring how reference material explains it quite clearly...and if you bring it up, they rant about how it's wrong and so it must not be canon!...

Originally posted by Bob McDob

You mean like in Starship Troopers? :)

This is almost like the idiots who say 'well, Star Wars lasers have beams, and lasers don't have beams, so they must be plasma weapons!"...ignoring how reference material explains it quite clearly...and if you bring it up, they rant about how it's wrong and so it must not be canon!...

What the hell does that have to do with anything?

so basically we're talking about a weapon based on technology scientists have not even started theoricizing about...

Yeah, basically, but then again, how many scientists do you know that are theorizing about jump drives? LOL :D Plus... in 600 some odd years I would hope that NEW theories would be developed.

Originally posted by Corsair(pilot)

Yeah, basically, but then again, how many scientists do you know that are theorizing about jump drives?

Quite a lot actually, nearly every science magazine has an article on some underground research group that's trying to eiter prove Einstien was wrong about light, or find a detour and a shortcut. In 600 years, one of them may get lucky.

Back