The 'real origins' of Hobbes' nickname;

nickmitsialis

Rear Admiral
Gang:

Yeah, I'm sure it's supposed to be the philosopher but doesn't anybody think he got his name from the Imaginary friendly tiger from the comic strip Calvin & Hobbes?

TiA

NM

Last edited:
Yeah, WC2 talks about Downtown suggesting Hobbes the philosopher, but the WC3 novelization says this:

"Many officers were reluctant to fly with a Kilrathi wingman, but Blair always found Ralgha cheerful, competent, and capable: a fine pilot and an excellent comrade. He was the one to bestow the nickname "Hobbes" on the renegade Kilrathi after encountering the name in an ancient piece of Terran folk art in a fellow pilot's collection."

Of course, the idea that Blair gave Hobbes his callsign doesn't remotely square with WC2. This was one of the reasons I never cared much for Forstchen's adaptation of WC3 (and WC4, which committed the much graver sin of making Blair and Sosa an item...).

Of course, the idea that Blair gave Hobbes his callsign doesn't remotely square with WC2. This was one of the reasons I never cared much for Forstchen's adaptation of WC3 (and WC4, which committed the much graver sin of making Blair and Sosa an item...).

Why not have both?

The Wing Commander II bit was a joke; the implication is that Downtown named him after Calvin's tiger and then came up with a cover story that Ralgha doesn't realize is ridiculous.

Back