The orville

Jdawg

Commodore
Has anybody else watched the show, I finally gave it a chance after my mom begged me to watch it. It was hard to get through the first half of the first season because it relied too much on Seth macfarland's Family Guy humor, but by God have the last two seasons not have been some of the best sci-fi on TV in years. blowing Star Trek and Star Wars clear out the water. Season 3 might be the series end but I hope not what an awesome show.

I just started a day or so ago. Pilot was okay but not amazing. Will keep it up for a bit though.

I just started a day or so ago. Pilot was okay but not amazing. Will keep it up for a bit though.
Yeah I really want to know what you think when you get to season 2 and 3. the first season is kind of rough because of seth's humor and bc Fox wanted a comedy. Halfway through the first season it picks up its stride and by season 2 it's great. Season 3 went from fox to hulu and they really upped the budget, some of the episodes actually look like mini movies with each episode clocking in about an hour and 15 mins.

Has anybody else watched the show, I finally gave it a chance after my mom begged me to watch it. It was hard to get through the first half of the first season because it relied too much on Seth macfarland's Family Guy humor, but by God have the last two seasons not have been some of the best sci-fi on TV in years. blowing Star Trek and Star Wars clear out the water. Season 3 might be the series end but I hope not what an awesome show.
100% this. I fought my way through the first half of season 1 for exactly that reason - the shoehorned-in Family Guy-style dialogue and side-characters were tough. But yes, absolutely - things pick up massively once they find their footing. The second half of season 1 is an improvement, season 2 is great and leads to a climax that's incedibly exciting while still being character-driven and season 3 doubles down on those character moments in genuinely touching ways.

I sincerely hope there's more to come.

100% this. I fought my way through the first half of season 1 for exactly that reason - the shoehorned-in Family Guy-style dialogue and side-characters were tough. But yes, absolutely - things pick up massively once they find their footing. The second half of season 1 is an improvement, season 2 is great and leads to a climax that's incedibly exciting while still being character-driven and season 3 doubles down on those character moments in genuinely touching ways.

I sincerely hope there's more to come.
At least we should get a movie

Finally got to season 3, half way through but it *still* has everything I think modern Trek is missing.
'A Tale of Two Topas' which I've just finished was an especially good example; modern Trek may be inclusive but with that families arc the Orville has done what the best Trek used to do; take a modern issue where much of the audience will bring pre-conceived biases, reframed it and given a new perspective.
I went through all the Treks released this year, but this is already my favourite by a wide margin.

Finally got to season 3, half way through but it *still* has everything I think modern Trek is missing.
'A Tale of Two Topas' which I've just finished was an especially good example; modern Trek may be inclusive but with that families arc the Orville has done what the best Trek used to do; take a modern issue where much of the audience will bring pre-conceived biases, reframed it and given a new perspective.
I went through all the Treks released this year, but this is already my favourite by a wide margin.
Yeah that was a really great episode, handled with such care that no matter what side of the line you fall on you can see the other side's perspective.

my one complaint in general though was I wish we had more stories about some of the other alien species. I felt like we had 40 stories throughout the seasons about the machlins.

Yeah that was a really great episode, handled with such care that no matter what side of the line you fall on you can see the other side's perspective.

my one complaint in general though was I wish we had more stories about some of the other alien species. I felt like we had 40 stories throughout the seasons about the machlins.

Yeah, to be honest I thought they'd gotten all they could out of them, and was surprised by how well that episode worked. The following episode focused on the machlins though didn't work for me, the pacing was off and it had some serious plot issues.
They could use more aliens in the main cast in general; seeing how well they can be used it feels like a waste not to.
Still Twice in a Lifetime was another episode that rang with the memories of what Trek once did so well, not in plot (a closer comparison there would be one of my all time favourite episode of Doctor Who; The Girl Who Waited) but in terms of the key notes that were hit I was reminded of Tuvix.

I wasn't entirely happy with season 3, there were too many things that were simplified and happened too easily or predictably. It felt they were hurrying forward in storyline instead of exploring the established world.
It's still all good, but maybe a step down from season 2.

I wasn't entirely happy with season 3, there were too many things that were simplified and happened too easily or predictably. It felt they were hurrying forward in storyline instead of exploring the established world.
It's still all good, but maybe a step down from season 2.

Yeah I felt similarly about the final couple of episodes, I enjoyed them but it was a bit too neatly tied up with a bow.
I guess they weren’t confident of a series 4

I enjoyed the first two seasons, although the constant "IT'S LIKE STAR TREK IS SUPPOSED TO BE!" from the fandom was kind of insufferable (in short: duh, they're aping TNG exactly, of course it reminds you of TNG… but it's not adding anything, either). I thought season 3 was pretty dreadful, though. The combination of a smaller writers room and the long episodes that streaming suddenly allowed made for horrible pacing. We kill our darlings for a reason! (We must have had a good 30 plus minutes of shuttles slowly landing or taking off from places across the whole run…)

Yeah I felt similarly about the final couple of episodes, I enjoyed them but it was a bit too neatly tied up with a bow.
I guess they weren’t confident of a series 4

The fandom was so nuts about this. They were just so amazing at being able to convince themselves it wasn't over with every increasing rung of it being VERY VERY CLEAR. It was done when they dropped it from broadcast TV, it was done when Disney bought FOX and had absolutely no placement or use for it, it was super super done when Macfarlane didn't reup his FOX deal and it was even more done when the actors' contracts expired 18 months ago... there was never any chance.

Back