The original Midway (CV-41)

Tigerhawk

Captain
So I'm sitting here watching a DVD of the first season of The History Channel's "Dogfights" when I come across the episode, "MiG Killers of Midway". Got me thinking, and I thought I'd post the namesake of one of our favorite carriers.

Sorry in advance for the size of these pics...I'm not sure how to resize internet links, if that's even possible.

uss_midway.jpg

20071003121817!USS_Midway.jpg

uss_midway_cv-41_in_yokosuka_port_1984.jpg

According to this episode, among other achievements, the aircraft of USS Midway had the distinction of having the very first and very last MiG kills of the Vietnam War, with many to her credit in between. Apparently even then, Midway and her air wing became a name to be known and feared.

The Wikipedia article is here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Midway_(CV-41)

The official Navy history page is here: http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/sh-usn/usnsh-m/cvb41.htm

She's also visitable in San Diego - the CIC Staff should take a trip some time, that would really be something. You guys could get photos in the pilot ready rooms with the WCP flight suits on. :)

They did a great job with the Museum, one of the better ones I've been to.

She was the first of the "Aircraft Carriers Battle" (CVB). She has an armored flight deck (something all earlier US carriers lacked) and had a hell of an AA battery when first launched in 1945.

She's also visitable in San Diego - the CIC Staff should take a trip some time, that would really be something. You guys could get photos in the pilot ready rooms with the WCP flight suits on. :)

I've been to the Midway several times when I lived in San Diego.

That's not a bad idea! Enough folks around the community are certainly enterprising enough so I wonder if someone might be able to also make up a specific piece so that one can (somewhat) honestly say, "They hung a plaque right over your bunk". :D

Back