The New Age Dogfight Weapons?

ninja

Spaceman
Will there possibly have a new aircraft laser system that could be used in a dogfight, because most of the Futuristic aircraft use a laser system. "Empire Earth in the Nano age"

I read something once i think in populat science that said they had developed a generator compact and powerful enough to be put on board a large plane (like a transport) and it could produce enough power to fuel a laser, but i'm not sure how powerful it would be.

I'm sure that sometime we wil have lasers to dogfight with, but for now, the only aircraft laser weapon i'ver heard of is an anti-ballistic missle system mounted in a modified 747. it is powerful enough to knock out a ICBM, but that ain't very powerful cause ICBM skin is designed mainly to get it through the atmosphere without burning up, just like the space shuttle, which can be damaged just by flying through a rain storm

They had issues with refraction of the beam and other sorts of atmospheric interference last time I heard about that. They said they fixed it but I dunno ...

Once the Nova (was the 2nd most powerful laser in the world, has it's own nuclear power source) was on this science show. One of the physicist plasces an inch thick plate of metal in the lasers path and gets the guys to send a pulse. Made a dent in the plate and it makes a lot of noise but you need a nuclear power plant just to do that.

So i'm thinking lasers not the best way to go.

Something will be done eventually, don't worry about that. Also, when we do have a powerful enough compact laser, it won't be a show like in WC or SW; there won't be a visible beam. The more powerful laser weapons use light away from the visible spectrum. You could simulate the blasts on a HUD to assist with aiming, but no more than that.

Originally posted by Wulf
Something will be done eventually, don't worry about that.

Don't you think developing energy weapons is something we should worry about? Major destructive potential and all?

Originally posted by steampunk
Don't you think developing energy weapons is something we should worry about? Major destructive potential and all?

You mean the ability to break worlds apart on a molecular level until only the faintest evidence of their existence remains? Nah, not a bit, bub. Next question, please.

The nuclear power plant being necessary thing is something of a misconception. Recall that in WC we have gun capacitors. What is likely is that we would have a smaller power plant constantly generating energy, but the lasers themselves would feed off of a large bank of capacitors that can provide the short, intense burst of energy needed.

also, if the current trend continues, there might not be any dogfights. nowadays, the concentration is on long range missles.

Back