The most loathed startfighter ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
LeHah, overmortal, before it gets out of hand, take it to PM or e-mail. No one wants to hear you two exchanging virtual love notes.

admin > you

Hm... Well, as my flying isn't suitable to comment on pre-WC3-fighters (Rapier, Raptor and Sabre R TEH WIN!!1 by the way), I'll just limit myself to WC3 and onwards. Like Death, I quite liked the Hellcat - guns are my melody, and the Arrow... no. :) I can't say I hated the Arrow, but it wasn't my favourite. But by the time of WC4, the Hellcat lost a bit of appreciation... Still not to the point of loathing. The Vindicator was my least favourite, surprisingly enough, but anything with a Stormfire simply owns.
Except... the Pirahna. At least the Shrike and Tigershark had a bundle of spankage without it, but for the Pirahna the Stormfire was pretty much it. If you could slap some Cloudbursts on the Pirahna (an' don't you go pointing me to WCPEdit or whatever it's called, now :p ), I suppose it could be THE Wasp-killer.
The Shrike didn't quite cut it either, but it didn't suck thoroughly. Massdrivers, when it comes down to it, are bad-ass.

MetalSiren said:
If you want to know if you have real skills at flying.Pick up Falcon 4.0 and fight 7 other players online.On my best night i bag 4 players at the same time using Pheonix Missles.

Is that some mod to the game? Only the Tomcat and maybe the F-22 (if they ever get around to building it) can carry the Phoenix.

And Hobbes was my favorite WC2 wingman. Dunno why, maybe it was because he maneuvers around your ship when you're between him and his target instead of shooting through it.

Woolie Wool said:
maybe it was because he maneuvers around your ship when you're between him and his target instead of shooting through it

Yes. WC2 wingmen were notorious for doing just that. WC2 is the only game I die in with any sort of regularity, and it's 90% due to my wingmen shooting me from behind . . especially when we're in sabres.

Woolie Wool said:
Is that some mod to the game? Only the Tomcat and maybe the F-22 (if they ever get around to building it) can carry the Phoenix.

The F/A-22's being built, actually - though it's not being deployed in the same numbers the program was originally hoping for. :D As far as Phoenixes go... no, only the F-14 currently carries them, since they've pretty much ruled out any successors or other missiles along those lines, to concentrate on the multi-role missiles (ASMT) instead.

dacis2 said:
really long range air to air cruise missiles?

The AIM-54 Phoenix is NOT a cruise missile - cruise missiles are effectively unmanned planes using turbofan engines with really long ranges. The Phoenix is a fast, long-ranged missile originally designed for engaging enemy fighters or bombers at long ranges - the outer air battle, as it were. This was an effective concept back when the missile was designed, for targets such as Soviet bombers, as you could let the radar suite target the enemy for the missiles you launched.

However, given that the Soviet threat has disintegrated, the need for this sort of missile has been reduced, which is why the Advanced Air to Air Missile was abandoned in mid-development. That and the growing use of Stealth-type features and technology in modern airframes are making this sort of missile less and less useful as time goes on, and other nations begin fielding vehicles that are not as long-ranged and are more steawlthy than the Soviet machines this was intended to take down.

Besides, the Falcon doesn't carry cruise missiles - that's not part of its mission (to kill ground targets as well as air targets).

Whoever wrote that was whack or else had never played the game in his life. :D

Well, not to defend him or anything

I do know that back in the Falcon 3.0 days w/ Operation Fighting Tiger, one could fly in the hypothetical "FSX" varient, which could, in that game be loaded with Harpoon Anti-ship cruise missiles.

Magamo said:
I do know that back in the Falcon 3.0 days w/ Operation Fighting Tiger, one could fly in the hypothetical "FSX" varient, which could, in that game be loaded with Harpoon Anti-ship cruise missiles.

The Harpoon is NOT a cruise missile - it's an antiship weapon, with a range limited to about 60 nautical miles for most variations, and is a turbojet which zips over the water without having the extended range of a real cruise missile (which have ranges into the hundreds).

The FS-X, IIRC, is a Japanese produced variant of the F-16, which does not carry the Harpoon. It can carry the ASM-2 anti-ship missile, a 13-foot missile that is both lighter and longer-ranged than the Harpoon. It sure as hell doesn't carry a Phoenix missile either. :D

No F-16 does at the moment, nor were they designed for that long-range sort of battle, given that the Phoenix needed the AN/AWG-9 unit to function as a guided missile - the radar helped guide the missile up, at least up till the terminal phase.

Actually I think the Harpoon does class as a cruise missile, albeit an extremely short-ranged one. Most missiles IRL work on a ballistic trajectory - they have a rocket engine that provides the entire amount of power in the first few seconds of flight, then cuts out and the missile coasts on a ballistic trajectory. In short-range combat the engine may or may not have time to burn entirely. Cruise missiles on the other hand have long-burn engines, usually turbojets or turbofans, and "cruise" on a distinctly non-ballistic trajectory in a very airplanelike fashion. The Harpoon has a cruise engine for extended flight and a rocket booster to get it up to speed when launched from the surface, and follows a low-level skimming course to its target, which (theoretically) doesnt know the missile is coming because the missile is flying below their radar.

As far as the F-16 carrying the Harpoon, take a look at the Block 50/52 variant. Those seem to have gotten a bit of an upgrade to the air-to-ground systems, including Harpoon capability. Also check out the Block 50Plus, which has a MFD-oriented cockpit redesign and 20% more thrust, among less noticeable changes.

Back to topic: I have no love for most of the WCP ships, especially the Panther (all variants). The Pirahna was nice for short engagements and really made you think about weapon-switching instead of a full-guns slagfest so you wouldnt run out of that wonderful Stormfire ammo so fast. People hate the Tigershark, but the CMDs made sure things DIED when they really had to. To anyone who thinks the Dragon is a twinkfighter, try taking one for a spin in WCP. :)

My list:
WC1: Scim,
WC2: Rapier,
WC3: Hellcat,
WC4: Many unliked ships... I'll have to say... Vindi.
WCP: TigerShark tied with the Shrike. The problem with the shrike was dumb wingmen wasting Torps on Caps with turrets functional while I was busy clearing the fighters. Bah. That wouldn't happen in a Dev.

The panther is about upper-middle class. Not top stuff like the Vampire, but it's surely better than Tigersharks. I like it a lot, though it's a bit worse in SO, where the competition is thougher.

The Panther is to WCP what the Raptor is to WC1. It's not the "super duper fighter" that everyone instantly falls in love with (except me. I hated the Vampire, Rapier, Excalibur, and Dragon). It's a sturdy ship with decent guns and it moves at a good clip. Not terribly flashy, but plenty of staying power. Good armor, good shields. Excellent yaw rate (which I prefer over the pitch rate). I prefer it over any other WCP ship except the Devastator (or the Wasp, except the wasp doesn't have much staying power).

heh, there is another experiemntal fighter in wc1? havent got that far yet..

i liked the panther, but the stronger guns on the vamp are good.. the wasp i love, if only because its has a unique ability, plus the swarm missles are sweet, if only to look at.

the devastator has to be my fav (besides the wasp) in WCP.. nothing like busting light fighters like pimples with that handy plasma... no sireee... wooot !!

overmortal said:
Yes. WC2 wingmen were notorious for doing just that. WC2 is the only game I die in with any sort of regularity, and it's 90% due to my wingmen shooting me from behind . . especially when we're in sabres.

THAT'S why I keep dying on the first Sabre mission.

SON OF A BI- *Goes back to kill wingman or "accedently" have him run into a ship or space debries.*

wankski said:
heh, there is another experiemntal fighter in wc1? havent got that far yet..

i liked the panther, but the stronger guns on the vamp are good.. the wasp i love, if only because its has a unique ability, plus the swarm missles are sweet, if only to look at.

the devastator has to be my fav (besides the wasp) in WCP.. nothing like busting light fighters like pimples with that handy plasma... no sireee... wooot !!

The Rapier is the experimental fighter in WC1, unless you count flying a Dralthi in SM2 to be 'experimental'. :D

But the Panther's great for WCP - decent guns, and the SO version has the Cloudbursts which aren't half-bad at close range. Vamp's better, but the fighter selection in WCP and SO is nothing to sneeze at; they're all decent, especially in comparison with WC3 or WC4 where there were only one or two ships I considered worth flying (T-Bolt and Arrow for WC3, Dragon and T-Bolt for WC4).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back