The most loathed startfighter ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Viper61 said:
It may be armored like a tank, but its limited offensive strike capability (and maybe its speed thanks to what maybe a heavier armor) make it inferior to the Thunderbolt.
Just some thoughts.

C-ya

Yes, the Thud carries much heavier guns plus a torpedo, which is probably why it was used to replace the Raptor instead of the Raptor getting upgraded like the Rapier was. Too bad the Thud doesn't have a little more shields/armor though--having 25% more shields and 50% more armor than the Arrow just doesn't feel that heavy . . .

Mass is going to be a factor as well. For example, take a Hummer and then a mini-cooper. Assume there's no armor, and then crash them head on each other. Which one is going to take more damage? the mini-cooper.

WC1: The Scimitar because it can't dodge worth a damn and it's not as durable as a Raptor.
Runner-up: The Salthi. It makes the Epee and Darket look like flying fortresses. Ram a Spiculum IR up its ass and watch it explode.
WC2: The Epee. You're lunchmeat if the kitties land a couple of hits.
Runner-up: the Crossbow. Ugh, just UGH!
WC3: The Darket. You could take one out with a spitball.
Runner-up: The K'ha'haf. Lame in every respect, and a bad camouflage fighter. Surely no one will suspect that big squarish thing STICKING RIGHT OUT OF THE ASTEROID is a Kilrathi ship.:rolleyes:
WC4: The Dragon. Munchkin ships are stupid.
Runner-up: Nothing comes close to the Dragon in stupidness so I'll omit this one.
WCP: Never played it, but the Tigershark sounds bad despite its sleek appearance.

Ijuin said:
Too bad the Thud doesn't have a little more shields/armor though--having 25% more shields and 50% more armor than the Arrow just doesn't feel that heavy . . .
It's all a tradeoff, go back to the powerplant/weapons/speed issue brought up about the Raptor being upgraded. This could have been the major tradeoff with the Thud. Having that much offensive energy weapon power would severely tax the powerplant. Now you've got to add an engine and shielding that can effectively use the remaining power. Now you try to armor this thing like a tank, but with each cm of Isometal you put on, its just that much more taxing to the engine. Therefore your speed keeps falling the thicker the armor gets. Tradeoffs.
I'm also having a hard time imagining the Thud can only support 3cm of Durasteel armor. I'm theorizing it can hold alot more, but either the Isometal alloy is so much heavy than durasteel that they can't put the Thuds full compliment of armor on do to powerplant limitations or its not Isometal or maybe the weaker armor alloy is lighter and we are seeing 6cm of something that is 20x durasteel (unless of course we have a source somewhere that says all craft use durasteel armor. Which come to think of it, it wouldn't be very practical to carry maybe 3 different types of armor on a carrier as space is at a premium. This probably would kill the second option I've stated.)

Psych said:
Mass is going to be a factor as well. For example, take a Hummer and then a mini-cooper. Assume there's no armor, and then crash them head on each other. Which one is going to take more damage? the mini-cooper.
That argument confuses me a bit. Aren't the Thud and the Raptors masses the same 20 tons? Or are you refeering to the different armors? Or am I missing the point entirely? ;)

C-ya

I'm not comparing the Thud to the Raptor, I'm using that hypothesis to explain to people who think armor is everything.

"oh yeh?!?!?! The Concordia would be creamed by a Fralthra because it has less armor!" There's been a post like that already.

Eh, the Epee is a ship that the Iceman would like. An artists ship. Admittedly, the WC2 version can be a bit . . . unforgiving, but, if you put enough thought into your strategy (and enough skill into your flying), she'll get you home in more or less one piece. That is, if your wingmen don't shoot you from behind first. WC2 wingmen are somewhat notorious for killing you themselves.

WC1-Dralthi. Basically another Scimitar packaged up in new skin.

What's with the advertisment on the back of the SM1 box that boasts 4 new ships? There's the Venture, that's really supposed to be in WC1 and is only in 1 mission in SM1, the Dilligent that's only in 1 mission and just looks like a Draymen, the Lumbari, which is more or less a Dorkir, and then the Sivar (which is about the only thing I would qualify as a new ship).

WC2-Epee, Crossbow
WC3-Hellcat, T-bolt
WC4-Didn't like the banshee
WC5-Piranha
Priv-Galaxy

Both the Banshee and Piranha are good ships. Especially the Banshee. The Banshee has a buttload of missiles (for WC4, anyway), and that scattergun. The scattergun was . . well . . . quite menacing.

I can understand people thinking that the piranha has a case of Hornet syndrome; light, fast, maneuverable, but not very heavily armed. But, that also means that they didn't take time to break out the Stormfire guns.

Having not played WC3 or 4 (I knew I should have gotten them when I had the chance) I can't really comment on the Banshee or the Hellcat (unless you wanna count Unkown Enemy).

Still, I rather liked the Pirahna, and I did actually like the Tiger Shark as well. Charging Mass Drivers just kicked butt! You could take out a Devil Ray in one pass with a charged blast and a few well placed rockets.

My biggest complaint about the Epee was the lack of proper afterburner fuel, cause once that ran out, you were dead meat.

I think my least favorite Prophecy ship was the Shrike... just too slow to get enough good shots in. At least with the Devastator you only had to hit your target once or twice.

Does it really matter

If you want to know if you have real skills at flying.Pick up Falcon 4.0 and fight 7 other players online.On my best night i bag 4 players at the same time using Pheonix Missles.

Phoenix missiles? Was this some sort of mod for Falcon 4.0? Cause F-16s don't carry Phoenix missiles, but rather sidewinders and amraams.

MetalSiren said:
If you want to know if you have real skills at flying.Pick up Falcon 4.0 and fight 7 other players online.On my best night i bag 4 players at the same time using Pheonix Missles.

And this, ladies and gentlemen, is an example of 'foot in mouth' syndrome, often seen when someone's doing BS. :D

Interesting that the Crossbow's getting so many bad votes. I much prefer it to the Broadsword - it's very maneuverable (especially for a bomber. It might even be more maneuverable than the Sabre, if memory serves).

The problem is, of course, that you only get one or two shots before you have to recharge. Well, they don't call it a "Crossbow" for nothing ;)

Oh, just to add another ship to my "I don't like to have to fly these" list: the Kor-larh from Armada. It just doesn't have the range to take out enemy craft from a distance, and it has no way of closing the distance. They can just hold you at arm's length and tear your ship apart with lasers.

Frosty said:
I don't know about that. Given pilots of equal skill, a Dragon would assrape any Kilrathi or Confed fighter designed before it came on the scene.

I suppose most post-Dragon fighters of any substantial combat capability, though, would be able to go after one without any special trouble, or even with ease in the case of the really badass ones. Didn't the Dragon obsolete itself by also introducing cloak-defeating optics along with its perfect cloak?

Anyway, as much as I love the Raptor, I wouldn't want to take one against a fighter that could come out of nowhere and dominate me in only a handful of shots. Or just plain nuke my carrier with a single weapon before I ever launched.

Not if Hobbes was flying it. Speaking of which, it's too bad he had to die. I liked him.

Eh, I never found Hobbes to be all that great. I mean, sure, he was better than some of your other wingmen (and better than most of the wingmen in UE by leaps and bounds ;)), but there are some far more challenging AIs out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back