Votes: 9 19.1%
  • Intrepid

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Midway

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tarawa

Votes: 2 4.3%

• Total voters
Tough to say. Tarawa as "1st to Kilrah" is bound to be remembered, as well as the Victory which carried the planes and pilots that ended the war.
Though I guess the Tarawa being renamed might diminish its notoriety.

Still, I voted for the TC: it won very important engagements (WC 1 + SM 1, 1.5, 2), saved Earth (WCM) and Custer's carnival seems to be very well-known as well. And the circumstances of her destruction caused much uproar. Plus, I like the Claw significantly better than the Victory or Tarawa. :)

In the end, all of those ships have participated in very important things.

There's also the Iason, whose (alleged) destruction during the first encounter with the Kilrathi, might have made her a household name.

I'd vote for Tarawa, she was the First to Kilrah and there was even a movie made about the trip.

Well, the Tarawa was sold and renamed with what seems to me to be little concern. The Victory, sacred artifact that it was, was turned into a space museum (WC4). Is anything said about the wreckage of the Concordia after the opening to WC3? Does it just kind of sink to the bottom? Do they try to raise it and make a museum like the USS Arizona?

Well, the Tarawa was sold and renamed with what seems to me to be little concern. The Victory, sacred artifact that it was, was turned into a space museum (WC4). Is anything said about the wreckage of the Concordia after the opening to WC3? Does it just kind of sink to the bottom? Do they try to raise it and make a museum like the USS Arizona?

Tarawa was seriously damaged at the end of the war. It most likely would have been scrapped if it had not been saved by the FRLN.

If anything I'd assume they left the Concordia where it was and built some kind of viewing platform on the coast.

I'd vote for Tarawa, she was the First to Kilrah and there was even a movie made about the trip.

But how many people would put Hornet, Tarawa's real life inspiration on their list of the most famous ships? Even with movies having been made about the trip like 'Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo'.

If anything I'd assume they left the Concordia where it was and built some kind of viewing platform on the coast.

They would probably have to exhume her to remove all the sensitive information contained inside, as well as any classified or dangerous components such as the PTC (which made up the majority of the ship itself).

There's also the Iason, whose (alleged) destruction during the first encounter with the Kilrathi, might have made her a household name.

Why didn't I think of that?

The Concordia was a "total loss", as Blair reported in the prologue of WC3. Presumably after gutting it for any valuable/sensitive parts, the hulk would be left in place or else cut up for scrap.

Tough question.

I prefer the TCS-Concordia. it did have the PTC, and in the books the Concordia was practically revered. and if i remember correctly, it was the Concordia, that rode to the rescue to save the Tarawa.
and the Concordia was Tolwyn's Flagship. but its really a tossup between Concordia, Tiger's Claw and Tarawa. (in my opinion that is...)

Tiger's Claw was the most successful of them. Saved the marines at Custer's Carnival, led the battle in Vega, destroyed the Sivar, and it was the primary Confed ship involved in aiding the Firekkans. Not to mention its infamous destruction... RIP Claw.

Concordia was a great ship don't get me wrong but it simply didn't have as distinguished of a career as the ol' Claw. And the Victory's only claim to fame is being the carrier the Kilrah bombing mission launched from which isn't -that- big of a deal really.

But what ship would be the most famous to someone living in the 27th century? Quite possibly not any of the ships which played a major part in the games.

For example, ask a contemporary person to 'name a famous warship'. The first thing off the top of his head would probably not be the biggest baddest carrier doing frontline service in the modern navy, but would most likely be something historic like Bismarck, Arizona, Yamato, Merrimac, or PT-109. The most famous ship in the WC universe might be something like Gwenhyvar or Iason.

I disagree, according to histoy, the most famous ships are the ones that get blasted! If you take a look at any US high school history book, the only mention of ANY battleship are the USS Maine, USS Arizona, and MAYBE the USS West Virginia. As there was a book written about Blair being "The Treacherous hero" the Tiger's Claw could have concievably made it into 27th century news. However, in Prophecy, Casey says that he heard about Blair all throughout school. Which carrier was he on the longest? He was only on the Victory for a brief period during the final months of the war. I don't know how long he was on the claw, but I always thought he was on the Concordia for quite a while.

I disagree, according to histoy, the most famous ships are the ones that get blasted! If you take a look at any US high school history book, the only mention of ANY battleship are the USS Maine, USS Arizona, and MAYBE the USS West Virginia. As there was a book written about Blair being "The Treacherous hero" the Tiger's Claw could have concievably made it into 27th century news. However, in Prophecy, Casey says that he heard about Blair all throughout school. Which carrier was he on the longest? He was only on the Victory for a brief period during the final months of the war. I don't know how long he was on the claw, but I always thought he was on the Concordia for quite a while.

A good point. and Concordia was lost over vespus. Victory and Tarawa survived.
which Leaves the Tigers Claw... destroyed by stealth fighters and the hero of the confederation scapegoated...
hmmm... perhaps i may have to change my mind about the Concordia.

to me, its really a tossup between the Concordia and Tiger's Claw now, with my personal still leaning to Concordia... but Frostytheplebe's point is making me reevaluate my choice

History also often mentions the USS Missouri, which never to my knowledge has been mentioned in participation of any large battles. However, they mention it because it was the site of the official Japanese surrender.

Remember, Melek signs the Kilrathi Surrender on the deck of the Victory.

You can read the poll question two ways, is it referring to the most famous WC ship from our perspective as players of the WC games? Or is it referring to the most famous WC ship from an in-universe perspective?

When I read this poll I assumed it was asking it from an in-universe perspective, that is what is the most famous WC ship for people living within the Confederation. In that respect I answered the TCS Victory. I'm not saying the other listed ships are not famous, or that they may not have acheived more during their service. I think the Victory would be more famous though because of its role in ending the war, in being the ship that the famous Col. Blair flew off of during the final campaign. I also think it helps that the Victory has become a museum, I'm sure many people have toured the Victory and learned the ship's history through their tour of the ship.

If I were to answer this question though from my own perspective, which ship is the most famous in my eyes, and stands out most, I would have said the TCS Tiger's Claw since it is the first ship most of us fly off of.

Do they try to raise it and make a museum like the USS Arizona?

The Arizona wasn't raised - the memorial is a structure on top of her sunken hull.

But how many people would put Hornet, Tarawa's real life inspiration on their list of the most famous ships? Even with movies having been made about the trip like 'Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo'.

This isn't a great comparison, since there are some key differences in the story. Had the Hornet actually sailed into Tokyo Bay to launch her bombers and then went head-to-head with the Japanese Navy, we might better remember her.

Which carrier was he on the longest? He was only on the Victory for a brief period during the final months of the war. I don't know how long he was on the claw, but I always thought he was on the Concordia for quite a while.

Blair was on the Tiger's Claw from two years (March, 2654 to February, 2656). He spent three years on the Concordia, from March 2665 to the Battle of Earth (late 2668). That's not inclusive, though - he spent several months of that time serving with Special Operations without a home base... flying missions off the Concordia, the Bonnie Heather, the Gamal Gan, the Tarawa, Olympus, Ghorah Khar, the Gettysburg, etc. Of course, his *longest* assignment was nine years with ISS at Gwynedd...

A good point. and Concordia was lost over vespus. Victory and Tarawa survived.

You could make an argument that Tarawa didn't really survive - she was crippled, decommissioned and sold.

Do we happen to know where the false peace was signed? That ship might be an infamous one.

The armistice was signed on an orbital space station on the frontier.

(Maybe the most famous ship is Excalibur 300. I'm sure it's hanging in the Confederate Air and Space Space Museum between the Wright Flyer and Richard Garriott's Soyuz capsule.)

(Maybe the most famous ship is Excalibur 300. I'm sure it's hanging in the Confederate Air and Space Space Museum between the Wright Flyer and Richard Garriott's Soyuz capsule.)

That's an excellent point. I'm sure almost every kid in 2670 had a model of it that they played with along with a model Bloodfang as they recreated the dogfight over Kilrah...

Back