The "Large Asteroid" in the Tr'Pakh system

J

jungle.trader

I've been really enjoying the ressurection/modification of Privateer. Whoever put this together--THANK YOU!!! You did an awesome job!

I'm just curious if anyone can tell me what the purpose of the "Large Asteroid" is in the Tr'Pakh system. A bartender hinted once that there was a stash of Kirathi ammo stuck in an asteroid somewhere near the front... So, I've been looking for it. I came across a huge asteroid appropriately named "Large Asteroid" on the targeting HUD. After flying around it (while avoiding the smaller asteroids) I came across a mouth of an immense cave marked with 2 red beacons. I flew inside where it's quite dark, and eventually bumped into the back of the cave. Is there supposed to be any purpose to this cave? Or... is it just something for space tourists to visit?

Well, in the real Privateer the "large asteroid" was an allusion to the Steltek base/carrier. I think that went over some people's heads for the Priv Remake, so they actually made the large asteroid something. If it's still in Gemini Gold, it would be nothing more than a holdover or easter egg from that.

In the Privateer Remake version (NOT Gemini Gold), you could land at the asteroid and repair your ship. You could also purchase missiles (since it is a munitions dump). Furthermore, if you were friendly with the Kilrathi, you could also purchase the three Kilrathi fighter types from the game--Dralthi, Salthi, and Gothri.

Ijuin said:
if you were friendly with the Kilrathi, you could also purchase the three Kilrathi fighter types from the game--Dralthi, Salthi, and Gothri.

Is the same thing possible in GG? You know how inclined I am towards Kilrathi fighters from the lecture of WC Pioneer thread :)

I would think not. GG attempts to be as faithfull to the old privateer as possible. The prospect of a secret kilrathi base where you can purchase kilrathi fighters does sound cool though :)

hurleybird said:
I would think not. GG attempts to be as faithfull to the old privateer as possible. The prospect of a secret kilrathi base where you can purchase kilrathi fighters does sound cool though :)

It's a shame that there are so few people with this point of view ;)

That point of view has a reason,

If i could sabotage a kamekh by throwing a pot of rapsberry jam onto it, while flying the lone star van, that would be a cool joke, but only fun for me and some others.

"Cool", for game features, isn't necessarily the same thing as "good". I can't say I agree with many of the changes made by the PR folks, but that's not a subject for the GG forum.

(Come to think of it, I'm not keen on most projects where "because it's cool" is a primary or significant reason for inclusion of a feature. That, too, isn't a suitable discussion for this forum.)

Back