The hulk (no spoilers yet)

steampunk

Spaceman
This was bound to come up sooner or later so I will start.

I personally liked it. Hulk origin is mildly hard to follow and perhaps a bit unreal. But makes sense wrt the story. Some subplots are very 'comic'. Not in the funny way but in the Marvel way. May not be appreciated by some. The ending is like this a lot. But over all quite enjoyable. I especially like the comic panel style of some of the scenes.

Cameos are easy to spot in this one.

I thought it was great. The first 10 or 15 minutes were kinda confusing, but once it got rolling it was fun to watch.

Some of the transitions were fantastic, IMO, and the opening credits were pretty neat too. They made it feel a lot like a comic strip.

Overall, I felt it was kinda average, though. The atmosphere was somewhat too serious, which meant that some of the more... bouncy... scenes undermined the rest of the film. This is a pity, because these sort of scenes should have felt perfectly natural in the context of a comicbook superhero film. Also, I didn't especially like Hulk himself. He was too... Shrek, in appearance. Still, it's well worth seeing just for those transitions.

Quarto said:
Also, I didn't especially like Hulk himself. He was too... Shrek, in appearance.
I don't understand. He's supposed to be big and green. He was green before Shrek was green. If anything Shrek is too Hulk in appearance. And the Hulk certainly didn't look too CG or anything. Better than Gollum IMHO.

The CG quality seemed to differ in certain parts. When he first turned into the hulk he was great, but during his lab escape it looked terrible.

steampunk said:
I don't understand. He's supposed to be big and green. He was green before Shrek was green. If anything Shrek is too Hulk in appearance. And the Hulk certainly didn't look too CG or anything. Better than Gollum IMHO.
Oh, I had no problems with him being big and green :). What I didn't like was that the textures had a very Shrek-like quality to them, in that they looked dry and rubbery. This worked great in Shrek, where the point was not to be realistic. In Hulk, however, it ended up making him look unnatural and out of place when compared to the non-CGI humans. I didn't get that same impression for Gollum, who seemed to fit into his universe a bit better.

I'd prefer that sexy green alien woman from TOS that they always show in the ending credits.

TopGun said:
But what would you prefer? a CGI Hulk or A guy painted Green?
You're implying that CGI is automatically better simply because it's CGI, but that's not the case. I mean, would you rather have a CGI Mystique, or Rebecca Romijn-Stamos painted blue? But of course, that's besides the point. I don't mind that Hulk was CGI, I mind that he looked wrong.

Quarto said:
You're implying that CGI is automatically better simply because it's CGI, but that's not the case. I mean, would you rather have a CGI Mystique, or Rebecca Romijn-Stamos painted blue? But of course, that's besides the point. I don't mind that Hulk was CGI, I mind that he looked wrong.

I wasn't implying that CGI is better. In the case of Mystique, the way they did here was great, but with the Hulk, he is supposed to be really big

TopGun said:
I wasn't implying that CGI is better. In the case of Mystique, the way they did here was great, but with the Hulk, he is supposed to be really big

He's not refering to the fact that he's big and green, he's refering to the fact that he looks like a rubber action figure.

==========SPOILER==========

Being that his genes have God-knows-what put into them from his dad injecting everything in his lab into himself, I racked it up to him not being entirely human when the hulk. Lizards can look rubbery and inhuman, and IIRC that was one of the genes that his daddy spliced into himself. When it isn't human, don't compare it to a human, I say ;)

=========END SPOILER========

My thoughts on this excuse-to-make-a-movie are simple.
1.WORST MOVIE EVERRRRRRRR!!!!!
2. BORING
3. hulk loses shoes, yet manages to keep pants

Happy said:
3. hulk loses shoes, yet manages to keep pants

You'll find that after he fights the mutant dogs, he does indeed loose his pants.

If you think this is the worst movie ever you haven't seen "Plan 9 from Outer Space"

Quarto:
Funny I didn't get the impression that the Hulk looked too rubbery. But then again I was thinking "what would skin that could deflect bullets look like". From that perspective I think it worked. From a "how come it doesn't look human" perspective, it wasn't so good.

Back