Cleaner_player.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 4,394
  • Raptor_player.jpg
    Raptor_player.jpg
    2 KB · Views: 4,379
  • Stormcrow_player.jpg
    Stormcrow_player.jpg
    2.4 KB · Views: 4,363
Ha! You stole my thunder! ;) I was going to post that one today!

Here's some in-game pics:
I didn't QUITE steal your thunder, those are some really good in-game pics. They really make it look like a Dralthi! That fighter was one of my favorites to fly in the arcade mode. Too bad you don't get to fly it in a mission (that I can remember).

Yes, I think it was just in arcade mode. As I recall, newer versions of Incoming also had a tactical mode where you could play it top down and order different units around. But I digress... :)

Cool find, Loaf. I wonder how many Lego renditions of the Dralthi have been made by our wingnut friends. Feel free to post pics, if anyone has. :)

There's at least two Lego Dralthi in our news archive, including this amazing one:
nnenn_legodralthi2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's another one: the Shroedinger (sp?) from Vega Strike. This was the first Vega Strike ship I ever saw and the first thought that popped into my head was, "Hey, that looks a bit like a Dralthi!"

Check out the link below.

http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=5059

And here's another Dralthi-esque Vega Strike ship, the Lancelot. Check out the links:

http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=5514

And another, the Idun:

http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=5516

There's a lot of love for the Dralthi out there. :)

Although IMHO the last one comes the Dralthi as near as everything that has two wings. I don't see a Dralthi in it, there are better examples.

Still it is always nice to see some ships I don't know yet, regardless of where they come from.

No picture, but the Batplane from Tim Butons "Batman" is certainly somewhat similar to Dralthi. And it is earlier.

Little offtopic it seems that the pre-launch checklist from WC3 is actually a Joke, as it is copy, or at least begins just like checklist for Batmobile from 1960s batman tv series :) (i havent seen this, the info is from wikipedia so unconfirmed

This may hint that someone in production team, perhaps Chris Roberts himself was the fun of Batman, and supports the theory of Batplane - inspierd Dralthi

oh, and several other batplanes are similar to dralthi too, especialy this one:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Batplane-Animated.jpg

Little offtopic it seems that the pre-launch checklist from WC3 is actually a Joke, as it is copy, or at least begins just like checklist for Batmobile from 1960s batman tv series :) (i havent seen this, the info is from wikipedia so unconfirmed

That's correct - "atomic batteries to power, turbines to speed" is the famous part of the original Batmobile's startup sequence.

Although IMHO the last one comes the Dralthi as near as everything that has two wings. I don't see a Dralthi in it, there are better examples.

Still it is always nice to see some ships I don't know yet, regardless of where they come from.

Granted, that last Vega Strike one is a bit of a stretch (or more than a bit of a strech, really), although the forward sweep of the wings seemed remotely Dralthi-esque. That being said, there are a lot of others that look a lot more like the Dralthi.

I had also considered posting the Batwing from the Batman movie with... was it Michael Keaton? The more you folks talk about Bat-planes, though, the more it seems likely that they are indeed a part of the insipiration for the Dralthi. So far to me, the Bat-plane variants and the orignial Cylon raider seem like the most logical contributors to the Dralthi design. Everything else we've shown thus far seems to be a derivative of the Dralthi design. I'm wondering if there are any other contributors to the Dralthi design... I can't think of any at the moment, although I can still think of several possible Dralthi derivatives, which I will post later.

On a mostly-related note, has anyone looked at the ferret as it prepared to launch, knowing you'd encounter Drakhri, and for a little while stopped playing Wing Commander and started to play alternate-universe battlestar? The ferret DOES look a little like a colonial viper in some aspects...

The Ferret is kind of odd - it doesn't actually look like you picture it in your head.

... but the Razor from Wing Commander IV does look a lot like a Viper.

Huh? Hey, how do YOU know how I picture the Ferret? Is this a sideeffect of just having read your darned Loaf's Merry Guild page?

At any rate, what do you mean? It isn't an exact match, but that's what I thought of.

Oh, it's just something I've noticed with myself - I always picture in my head as this cute little triangle fighter... and then when you go and look at it, it's got these big engines and these huge mass driver winglet mounts on the front.

That's kind of funny. I always thought of the Ferret as kind of a long, skinny sort of thing with a huge engine. If flying the other fighters was like driving a car, then flying a Ferret felt more like riding a motorcycle for me. I kind of came to think of it as the conceptual offspring of the Colonial Viper and an X-Wing fighter, so I guess I can say that Max and I had similar thoughts, although I can't remember ever taking it as far as Max did.

I have always been intrigued by the analogies we draw in our heads, and that how we represent things to ourselves is not always the same as what things actually are. But I'll stop babbling before I digress into a discussion on Kantian metaphysics and their pscyhological implications. :)

As far as original BSG, though, each time there was one of those cutscenes in WC2 where you saw a side view of the fighters flying in formation, it always made me think of BSG.

Let me launch a few probes: are there any ships in Star Trek or Babylon 5 that looked like a Dralthi to anyone?

I think the Viper / Ferret comparisons occur from the fact that the original Viper had the same paintjob colors as the Ferret. (as did the X-Wing)

Back