The Great Dralthi-esque Hunt!

Sphynx

Commodore
I think all of us can agree that WC has become iconic in science fiction and gaming. I thought it would be fun to see if we can find some ways that WC has left a legacy on the visual designs that have emerged since its creation. To start that off, I propose, “The Great Dralthi-esque Hunt.”

For me, if you asked me to state the first thing that came to mind when you say “Kilrathi fighter,” I would say “Dralthi.” It was the first Kilrathi ship I saw in the intro, and one form of the Dralthi or another has been in almost every incarnation of the WC franchise. So, it seemed like a good place to start.

See if you can find any Dralthi look-alikes out there. Look in games, movies, novel covers, concept art, etc. Extra kudos go to anyone who can provide some proof that the design the inspiration for the design they find can legitimately be cited as the Dralthi. Double kudos go to anyone who can find a design predating the release of WC that could serve as a reasonable inspiration for the Dralthi design.

I have several ideas to start with, but I won’t use them all yet.

First, let’s start with the Pegasus (I think that’s what it’s called) from Tachyon: The Fringe. Any way you look at this baby, it screams “Dralthi!” to me.

tachyon5.jpg

Then, there is the new incarnation of the Cylon Raider. Half Cylon Centurion, half Dralthi, all toaster.

Cylon_Raider_Mk2_Raider.jpg

Then, there is also one of the main Gorene fighters from Star Crusader (a great game in its own right that was overshadowed by Wing Commander). You can see a general idea of the design from this shot of the game cover.

starcrus.gif

Okay, that’s three marks on the kill board for me to open up the hunt. Like I said, I found others, but I won’t hog all the kills now. See what you can come up with! :)

Here's an obvious one: The 'Shroud' from Starlancer:

staldc0b.jpg

Here's a less obvious one.. I'm not entirely sure what this is from or who made it, but the author writes: CFS2 AB-BatWing (4.38MB).The famous "BatWing", flown by The Dark Knight. Features Mach 3 speed, special flight characteristics and a unique panel setup.

CFS2_AB_BatWing.jpg

Sphynx said:
Double kudos go to anyone who can find a design predating the release of WC that could serve as a reasonable inspiration for the Dralthi design.
How's this?
This US Navy fighter prototype with blueprints dating to 1939 has similarities to the Dralthi. It was the result of multi-millions of dollars for research and caused several "Flying Saucer" sightings. I now present the original "Flying Pancake":

Chance-Vought-V-173-Flying-Pancake_203__8548_40.jpg
3.jpg

Very good idea for a thread, definately worth a Space Point.

So I'll go ahead and add the most obvious one... :)

wc2front.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I was wondering when the Drakhri would show up! :) Now that it has been quite firmly established that it is not a Dralthi, there won't have to be any bloodshed about this particular issue. ;)

Let me add another obvious one: the Jrathrek, although I can't seem to find a decent picture of one outside of the ships database.

How about the Yehat Terminator from Star Control 1 (July 1990) and 2 (November 1992)? The Yehat themselves influenced how I imagined the Firekkans to look like until I read Freedom Flight.

Star_control_i_yehat_terminator_databank.png

The Yehat themselves influenced how I imagined the Firekkans to look like until I read Freedom Flight.

Kudos for a Star Control post (the Kor'ah Death March is one of the most bad-ass doomsday events in video game history) - but isn't there a cutscene with a fully-body shot of a Firekkan if you avert/fail to avert the Sivar-Eshrad ceremony?

Yes, you see Firekkans multiple times in SM2. :)

(In the treaty signing... attacking the Priestesses... and then chasing away the Kilrathi at the end... or being enslaved.)

Kudos for a Star Control post (the Kor'ah Death March is one of the most bad-ass doomsday events in video game history) - but isn't there a cutscene with a fully-body shot of a Firekkan if you avert/fail to avert the Sivar-Eshrad ceremony?
Heh, I think so -- I only went back and played WC1 and 2 for the first time around 1997, after originally being snagged by Privateer and WC3 when they were released. Do not forget to *enjoy the sauce*! :p

Surprised no one's mentioned the Banshee fighters that the Brotherhood of Nod have in Tiberian Sun.

Best pic I could find sorry

banshee.gif

Heh, I think so -- I only went back and played WC1 and 2 for the first time around 1997, after originally being snagged by Privateer and WC3 when they were released.

Aha, that explains it. :) Anyways, yes, they appear several times in SM2. My favorite shot of them is when they rout the Kilrathi at the end of the campaign - toting rifles.

I really enjoyed Incoming as well. I was going to post a picture of a different alien fighter from that game that looks a bit like a Dralthi, but then came across the US flying pancake. Doggone it, if I didn't have work tomorrow morning, I'd like to pop the game in and play a bit. So here is the Incoming Fighter I think looks like a Dralthi. I couldn't find an in game shot of it, but it looks very similar in game (it's the one on the left, not the space shuttle ;) ):

ME0000677895_1.jpg

Hmm... I have to check that again, but IIRC there is something that looks similar to a Dralthi in a Top-Down action game called Raptor (anyone here who knows the game?). It is really old, I have a shareware demo of it somewhere...

You're right, there is one Dralthi-like ship in Raptor (a wonderful game). I even bought the full version for it, in a box and on CD!

There was also one in another top down game, Galactix, I think (the second wave enemies).

But I do not have any pictures.

I really enjoyed Incoming as well. I was going to post a picture of a different alien fighter from that game that looks a bit like a Dralthi, but then came across the US flying pancake. Doggone it, if I didn't have work tomorrow morning, I'd like to pop the game in and play a bit. So here is the Incoming Fighter I think looks like a Dralthi. I couldn't find an in game shot of it, but it looks very similar in game (it's the one on the left, not the space shuttle ;) ):

ME0000677895_1.jpg

Ha! You stole my thunder! ;) I was going to post that one today!

Here's some in-game pics:

http://img214.imageshack.us/my.php?image=incoming200712112110022rg1.png

http://img261.imageshack.us/my.php?image=incoming200712112108264xa3.png

Ok, that one really screams "Dralthi"!!
(Now I remember I played that game, too. It came with my graphis card)

Back