The Gaming Standard: Wing Commander

rvcontre

Spaceman
Hi! I've just started to make a little video project for fun and am looking for some input on where I should go with it. The first section of the video (split into three parts) covers the influences and environment that led to Wing Commander being such a huge hit. I've got most of the audio recorded for the rest of the video but wonder if I'm doing this in the correct style or just some tips would be fantastic. I'm really new to this so basic suggestions on just video editing and such are necessary. :p Thanks for any info and help!

The Gaming Standards: Wing Commander

[Part 1]
[Part 2]
[Part 3]

Nice job. Did you do the commentary yourself?
From my point of view it looks like you did a very good job loking into the history of flight/space sims. If not computer gaming in general. On the other hand, most of the games mentioned...I never heard of. Tend to forget how long ago and how far games have come in the last few dacades.
If you have more can you please post it.

Yeah, I'll certainly post the material I have left. I just have to edit it a bit. The last half just covers Wing Commander.

And yeah, I did the commentary myself. My voice is a bit wonky but I couldn't bring myself to ask anyone to do the commentary. I just have a fun time doing these. When I'm done with Wing Commander I'll definitely cover other industry changing games but I'm looking for advice as to how I make these things since I've never done anything like this before.

Thanks for the encouragement though!

Excellent job!! You've obviously done a lot of research into compiling all this. Personally, I can't wait to see the next three installments.
I think you are on the right track with how you are currently doing it. The segments are short and focused. You include a good mix of clips from various games and genres to support that current segment without drawing too heavily on any single one. Finally your narration coincides nicely with what is happening in the video so its not disjointed or a break in the continuity. Keep it up!
It was a blast seeing clips from Kings Quest IV (first one I ever played in the series), Galaga, and Monkey Island. Kind of a shame I think they don't turn out games like that anymore. Seems to be either first person shooters or sports. Pick one or the other. Oh well.
Again outstanding job and since you seem to have an extensive knowledge base of older games I wonder if you remember a game called Lightspeed and its sequel Hyperspace?

Excellent job!! You've obviously done a lot of research into compiling all this. Personally, I can't wait to see the next three installments.
I think you are on the right track with how you are currently doing it. The segments are short and focused. You include a good mix of clips from various games and genres to support that current segment without drawing too heavily on any single one. Finally your narration coincides nicely with what is happening in the video so its not disjointed or a break in the continuity. Keep it up!
It was a blast seeing clips from Kings Quest IV (first one I ever played in the series), Galaga, and Monkey Island. Kind of a shame I think they don't turn out games like that anymore. Seems to be either first person shooters or sports. Pick one or the other. Oh well.
Again outstanding job and since you seem to have an extensive knowledge base of older games I wonder if you remember a game called Lightspeed and its sequel Hyperspace?

Wow you went right for the throat there! :) Yeah, Lightspeed, lightspeed, Lightspeed. I really debated where I should add that game. I remember that it was out at around the time but in my mind it was something that came out after Wing Commander so I was going to include it as part of the games-influenced-by-WC section. But in all honesty it was more likely developed along side it. It's not a game that I played until much, much later (a friend's strong rec) but I never got into it for some reason, I don't think I got a hold of it until X-wing, Sam n Max, X-com and all those great games were out so it just got lost in the mix. But yeah, nice! I want to be comprehensive with this thing but at the same time I want it to reflect my experience with gaming so it didn't seem honest to include it as one of the games that I had played along side or before WC. Haha, I'm sitting here laughing because you caught that. I really spent like 10 mins just sitting there wondering if I should include that... because if I did I would have to include a whole load of other games that I wasn't even aware of at the time! :)

Thank you for the encouragement and I'll definitely finish this series. Just editing stuff. I'm just wondering what other games deserve the time from me for the next series.

Indeed, a great documental. I sooo played A-10 Tank Killer, but there was also the Superb Apache 2000 and F-15 Falcon around then. I so remember these days.. they won't come back... now I need an extra-terrestrial gaming rig to run flight sim X ...

I guess you mean gunship 2000 and F-16 falcon, but hey, who's counting, those games were a great way to pass the time between sports and dinner when you were a kid ;)

I guess you mean gunship 2000 and F-16 falcon, but hey, who's counting, those games were a great way to pass the time between sports and dinner when you were a kid ;)

Yes! F-16 was Falcon but F-15 was Strike Eagle. Crikey xD
I wrote Apache 2000 because as far as I remember You pilot an Apache, was I right? Whatever.

Just finished watching Modern Marvels: Video Games: Behind the Fun. They did a documentary on video games. For a normally good show I thought they did a very poor job. Instead of doing a fluid from the beginning to present day thing. Tey constanlty showed newer games as they were still covering much older generations.
They did however show clips from what looked like an ealy version of Wing Commander Prophecy. Complete with a Kilrathi burning in his cockpit.
After seeing the differences yours wins hands down.
Can't wait for the rest.

Thank you again for all the advice, suggestions, and encouragement. This part covers Chris Roberts and Origin briefly. I wanted this to just be a 30 sec blurb at the beginning of the look into WC proper but it kind of ballooned to a short segment so I'll extend the series a bit. Thank you again, and I hope you enjoy it!

[Part4]

Just finished watching Modern Marvels: Video Games: Behind the Fun. They did a documentary on video games. For a normally good show I thought they did a very poor job. Instead of doing a fluid from the beginning to present day thing. Tey constanlty showed newer games as they were still covering much older generations.
They did however show clips from what looked like an ealy version of Wing Commander Prophecy. Complete with a Kilrathi burning in his cockpit.
After seeing the differences yours wins hands down.
Can't wait for the rest.

Yeah, I really wish I could get a hold of things like early versions of Wing Commander but yeah... that isn't going to happen. :)

Yeah, I really wish I could get a hold of things like early versions of Wing Commander but yeah... that isn't going to happen. :)

You can still download the WCP demo. It's old and best of all free. :)

Damn, that was short and sweet tidbit. More baby! :D
Did I mention I love documentaries? ;)

Thank you again for all the advice, suggestions, and encouragement. This part covers Chris Roberts and Origin briefly. I wanted this to just be a 30 sec blurb at the beginning of the look into WC proper but it kind of ballooned to a short segment so I'll extend the series a bit. Thank you again, and I hope you enjoy it!

[Part4]

Did I hear that right? It sounds like you said Tolwyn was played by "Andy McDowell" (a girl)...

Did I hear that right? It sounds like you said Tolwyn was played by "Andy McDowell" (a girl)...

Ha! Yeah, I've no idea how I mispoke there. Yeah, Malcolm McDowell definitely had done the voice for Tolwyn. Oh well. I guess I'll change that up on the originals but it may not be fixed for the youtube version. Hehe. Y'know and I had just watched A Clockwork Orange again within the past week. :)

I'm at work and haven't watched that segment yet, so this may be irrelevant -- but the original *voice* for Tolwyn was Martin Davies... McDowell played him in the live action games (and then did his voice on the Academy show.)

Yeah, that's in there. The sentence went something like this unfortunately.

Marten Davies... yadda, yadda, yadda, even played Tolwyn before Andie McDowell yadda yadda yadda.

Really great video. I never knew any of that before I watched the videos, and I hope I can learn more about Origin and WC from your documentaries. Keep it up!

Jeez, I almost forgot that Jetfighter 2 existed. I loved that game back in the day, which was a Wednesday(a reference to something, if you get it you'll laugh, if you don't, don't worry about it.)

But I used to play that game a lot when I was like 5. I just liked flying in and out of the building like it was an airshow. Also the bit with Flight Simulator made me laugh about the realism of the game and the looping maneuver

Also Part 4 is good and I did catch the Andie Mcdowell thing. HAHA
Alot of knowlegde about the early days of Origin that I had no idea about and it was fun seeing what else Chris Roberts worked on before Wing Commander.
Can't wait to see the next ones

That was enjoyable, thanks for putting it together rvcontre. I enjoyed the 'Montey Python' foot stomping out Mario. I was glad to see I wasn't the only one that had trouble designing a succesful airplane on the Microsoft Flight Simulator! That brought back some memories.

Back