The Flying Tigers: A Wing Commander RPG

2nd Lieutenant Anthony "Ginge" Wale's bio:

Name: Wale, Anthony
Callsign: Ginge
DOB: September 26th, 2642 (2642.269)
Place of Birth: London, England, Earth (Sol III)
Race: Terran
Height: 6’1"
Weight:167 lbs
Eye Color: Brown
Hair Color: Ginger
Skin Color: White
Distinguishing Marks: Small scars from Nasty Ejection
Kills: 0
Decorations: Golden Sun
Quantity of Decorations: 1 Golden Sun
Academy Year: 2659-2663
Class Rank: 2 of 265
Past Posts: TCS Burma (CA-26), Pilot, 2664-
Promotions: 2LT, 2664-

History: Born in London on the 26th September 2644. His father was first lieutenant James
"Blindside" Wale, who served a call of duty on the TCS Trafalger (2650-2654). He was later promoted to Captain and was killed when the Trafalgar was destroyed in an Kilrathi ambush in 2654. Before being killed, he was awarded the bronze star for bravery in search and rescue of comrade which Anthony still posses.
His mother, who worked in an office on Earth, never remarried after James Wale’s death

Noted as a silent and hard worker while he was in high school, he was recommended for flight training at the Terran Confederation Naval Academy. His grades were exemplary and only one major incident occurred while he was at flight school; he was forced to eject from a Hornet Trainer when its engine exploded during an afterburner test. He has some minor injuries across his chest from the incident but returned to full flight status short thereafter and was awarded the Golden Sun as is custom when a pilot survives his first ejection. His instructors noted that he was cool headed and logical in the cockpit, not seen in many new cadets and that he possessed exceptional flying skill. He graduated second in his class in the academy in late 2663 and was posted to the Waterloo class cruiser TCS Burma CA-26.

Current Roster:
Major Joshua "Sylvester" Dworkin
Captain Malcolm "Hellfire" Foster
1st Lieutenant Micheal "Katana" Powell
2nd Lieutenant Anthony "Ginge" Wale

as well as one person who is currently writing a bio to send me and two people that powell has contacted that would like to join up which makes seven simmers in total thus far.

Keep the bio's rolling in!

still seems a rather large fighter compliment for a cruiser..

but that's just my $0.02..

Nah, he's within his rights there. The Kilrathi Saga manual establishes a fighter complement of 40 on the Gilgamesh-class in order to cover all of the fighters from the TCS Gettysburg you shoot down in Special Ops 1. (The bible you sent me does a better job of explaining the same issue, claiming that there are cruiser and carrier-conversion versions of the Gilgamesh... I'm not sure why the Kilrathi Saga manual writers didn't go with this. The idea that there are Gilgamesh carriers actually gets referenced in End Run, though not clearly enough to be of any use here.)

(In this case, though, Sabres and Rapiers aren't Epees and Ferrets. It's like assuming that because a modern day AEGIS destroyer can carry a pair of helicopters that it can carry a pair of F/A-18s...)

For all intensive purposes, I'm going to call it a wing commander. This doesn't need to be exactly canon, just enough so nothing is incredibly blown out of proportion.

The phrase is 'intents and purposes', not 'intensive purposes'.

Remember, this is an RPG. The main objective is to have fun with things like attention to canon second. In the real universe, yes, that would be a bit much for a Waterloo's fighter complement. But most people prefer the Rapier and they would have more fun flying that ship. Its just a little creative liscense, not like I;m creating anything new.

That's not much of a defense - RPGs require a strict set of rules... and adhering to a fairly forgiving set of pre-existing facts isn't a very difficult thing to do.

And regarding slots, at least in the modern day, the slots aren't decided by town to get into a military academy. (I know, I'm training to get into Annapolis). You have to get a recommindation from either a congressman, a senator, the vice president or either the president himself. Besides, at least in Wing Commander, Earth itself would have plenty of spots as it is the capital of the Confederation.

You've got an Academy with 1,200 slots for a Confederation made up of 700+ star systems. We know that many star systems get to nominate a single person (per the WCP Official Guide)... the odds are stacked very, very highly against twin brothers from Oceanside, New York attending the same academy together. :)

(On a greater level, you're group is suffering from 'Academy syndrome' - the vast, vast, vast majority of pilots in the Wing Commander universe are going to be normal people who went through OCS. Particularly on a less important posting like a cruiser. You're clearly trying to write realistic/comprehensive bios - so lets see some where the character isn't superman.)

And one more thing. You mention in the encyclopedia that Blair was born on Nephele. Yet in WC2 SO1, when Stingray asks him where he's going on leave, Blair says. "Just back to Earth, its been a long time since I've been home". So where is he from originally, Earth or Nephele?

He was born on Nephele. He grew up on Earth after his parents deaths - any family he has left is there (not that he was actually going to Earth in SO1...). (I didn't do anything with the encyclopedia, though.)

TCS Wellington (CVL-41) based in the Vega Sector

I meant to mention this earlier - Light Carriers aren't CVL in Wing Commander.

last person to fly the F-32 Scimitar medium fighter before it was retired.

Worth noting that the canon designation is CF-105.

Bandit LOAF said:
. . . complement of 40 on the Gilgamesh-class . . . carrier-conversion versions of the Gilgamesh... there are Gilgamesh carriers . . .
I'll do the anal clarifyingthing . . . don't you mean Waterloo?

C-ya

(In this case, though, Sabres and Rapiers aren't Epees and Ferrets. It's like assuming that because a modern day AEGIS destroyer can carry a pair of helicopters that it can carry a pair of F/A-18s...)

The only reason i will nit pick about this is because its where my father is currently assigned... AEGIS is a cruiser, not a destroyer...

Note: Sorry Hades... Thanks for correcting me... and sorry, hope I didnt cause any offense... :(

Well, nowadays, there are both AEGIS cruisers and destroyers. There's the Ticonderoga class CG (Missile Cruiser), and the more modern Arleigh Burke class DDG (Missile Destroyer), both of which pack AEGIS.

Maniac II said:
The only reason i will nit pick about this is because its where my father is currently assigned... AEGIS is a cruiser, not a destroyer...

Note: Sorry Hades... Thanks for correcting me... and sorry, hope I didnt cause any offense... :(

Just to step in, the DDG-51 Arleigh Burke-class destroyers are probably the most famous ships (currently) for carrying AEGIS systems and two helicopters. The original ships to mount the AEGIS systems are, as you've pointed out, the CG-47 Ticonderoga-class cruisers, which also carry two Sea Hawk helicopters. However, they were originally designated as DDGs, before the designation was changed to guided missile cruiser.

I saw the HMS Invincible last year, It's small compaired to our Nimitz Class or even the Old Essex class

powell99 said:
I saw the HMS Invincible last year, It's small compaired to our Nimitz Class or even the Old Essex class

That's because the old Essex-class or current Nimitz-class ships were designed as full-service aircraft carriers, meant to carry fighters for variety of missions as 'floating bases'. The Invincible is, to quote her webpage, is the first of a class of an 'Anti-Submarine Warfare Carriers'. The important part is 'anti-submarine' - her role's more akin to that of a DDG-93 Kidd-class destroyer or FFG-7 Perry-class frigate than a modern United States Navy aircraft carrier.

It's meant to be an anti-sub weapon, which means her fighters are tasked to different roles and thus have different requirements. The Harrier is not the most effective strike fighter, or even interceptor craft - her range is abysmal compared to the Tomcat or Hornets launched from modern Navy craft, IIRC. It is, however, well designed for patrol and anti-sub duties with an FLIR and better range than an anti-sub helicopter.

Different role, different design requirements. It's like expecting a destroyer to be a launch platform for long-range B-52 Stratofortresses, or a submarine to be a helicopter carrier.

Oh, sorry - yes, I'm thinking of the Arleigh Burke class destroyers. The Flight IIA ships have hangars for a pair of helicopters.

Hmm, this is a question to the simmers and the people in this thread.

You think it would be better if I changed the ship to an actual carrier, such as one of the Confederation, Jutland or Bengal class ships operating at the time?

I think a Gettysburg class like the Austin in 2656 would be cool other wise not really. Oh if you could add Raptors that would kick-ass

Well what about a Confederation class dreadnought such as the (fictional speculation) TCS Alliance CVS-66

Oh I like that and have it named that hornet or columbia. (Alliance is good because it fils the class name)

Alrighty then, we have a new vessel, the Confederation class dreadnought TCS Alliance CVS-65.

Here is a brief history and stats:

Vessel Name:TCS Alliance
Class: Confederation Dreadnought
Registry: CVS-66
Date Commenced:2659.032
Date Christened: 2662.348
Date Commissioned: 2663.072
Length:983.7 Meters (3226.54 Feet)
Mass: 73,400 Tonnes
Maximum Velocity: 100 kps
Cruise Velocity: 50 kps
Acceleration: 128 kps/s
Yaw/Pitch/Roll: 1 dps (all)
Armament:
3 Anti Fighter Flak Batteries
8 Anti Matter Cannons
1 Phase Transit Cannon
Shields F/A: Phase (5000 cm equivalent)
Armor F/A/P/S: 775/775/675/675 (I know these values are off, but this is what WCRevival says the actual in game stats are)
Hull Strength: 1000 cm
Fighter Complement: 120
Commanding Officer: Rear Admiral Della Guardia (Someone should recognize this)
Wing Commander:Lieutenant Colonel William Habashere (NPC)
Deputy Wing Commander:Major Joshua Dworkin

Fighter Squadrons:

VF-17 (Devils' Eyes)
20 F-44G Rapier Class Medium Fighters

VF-38 (Whirling Dervish)
20 F-44G Rapier Class Medium Fighters

VF-105 (Tophatters)
10 P-64C Ferret Class Patrol Fighters, 10 F-54C Epee Light Fighters

VF-19 (Red Death)
10 P-64C Ferret Class Patrol Fighters, 10 F-54C Epee Class Light Fighters

VF-1 (Wolfpack)
20 F-57D Sabre Class Heavy Fighters

VB-66 (Destroyers)
20 A-17D Broadsword Class Heavy Bombers

All current members, contact me about which squadron you want to join. If your bio mentions the Burma, change it to the Alliance. You need not change anything else.

Back