The First FC Mission Contest

Which of the following missions was your favorite?

• Basic Training

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Furry Shell

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Iceblade

Admiral
Well, we didn't have that large of a turnout for this first contest, but I have hopes for future contests.

All that is needed to play these missions is to install Flight Commander version 1.50 found here and to extract the mission's files into the primary folder of your FC 1.5 installation.

Anyway here are the submissions:

Basic Training by Eddieb

Furry Shell by Kryan

You know, I'm starting the get the impression that the community doesn't really seem to care about Flight Commander. I just don't feel the love.

Look guys, we've bypassed the dodgy AI in these missions. In Basic Training the problem has been solved by only have one guy to fight, and since its a training mission the AI doesn't have to be bright. Furry Shell evades the problem by having so many ships to fight, so you don't really notice anything. :D

You know, I'm starting the get the impression that the community doesn't really seem to care about Flight Commander. I just don't feel the love.

No worries here.

I started FC around 1999 as a project for a computer graphics class. It's just a challenge I posed to myself: can I program something like Wing Commander. The effort so far has been more than worthwhile: the experience with OpenGL, C++, Lua, XML and with graphics in general have helped me become a better professional developer.

If others enjoy fine. If not, fine as well, the experience has already been priceless to me.

Hopefully maybe 5 years down the line, I'll be looking back at how much I learned while trying to program a real AI here.

the fact that you have done as much as you have this far with a dev team of 1 speaks volumes as to your skill as a developer!

Especially as a non-paid project which is being developed in your free time!

I'm looking very forward to the AI enhancements!

To be completely honest... sort of?

Here's the thing - Flight Commander is an incredibly impressive piece of work put together for the best of reasons by, in no uncertain terms, a very good person. It's more work than I could ever think of putting into this, done without any of the this-will-get-my-name-in-lights culture that ruins a lot of fan projects.

But: it isn't as sexy. I hate to have to admit this, but the other big fan projects are easier to point a casual user to. 'Hello, how can I play a new Wing Commander game?' is a lot more common a question than 'Hello, has anyone brilliantly recreated a Vision Engine style environment that's easy for ordinary users to mod?' So at the end of the day we're pointing a lot more people to Standoff than we are to Flight Commander.

Still, in July, Flight Commander 1.5 had over three times as many downloads as the Standoff 1-4 bundle. There's probably more people tinkering with this than you'd expect. Only a tiny fraction would ever post to a forum about what they're doing.

Back