The Earth

Tolwyn

Vice Admiral
I've tried to recreate a basic 'TV looking good Earth' with the stars and nebula, using hi-res textures. Take a look :D

earth_1.jpg

earth_2.jpg

you didn't do that. you just took some NASA shot and put it up :D but seriously, great job.

well, there is one thing I wish to make: swirling patterns of clouds in the atmopshere. Lemme see what I can do. At least I could add a bump map to give clouds some shape..

The only problem is: I'm using VERY detailed textures (about 12k) and I have a feeling of working on a good old P133 :D

If you look at a real photo of planet Earth taken by the Apollo 11 crew you'll notice that there are no stars and no glows. You can notice the planet turns blue to the edge by the atmosphere.

But my intention was not to recreate the real planet but the SF series 'real looking' planet.

Well, as you see I've added light glows on the dark side of the planet using a fallof texture. Well, I'd say the planet if finished. Perhaps I'll add more detailed cloud maps soon...

earth_3.jpg

earth_4.jpg

Is it Max or NASA? :D

I think I should reduce the bump effect, Zohrath told me it is too strong. I'll drop it down to 10-15 (current value 30).

I agree, the bump maps have too much amplitude, but apart from that it looks great, specially the cloud effects. :)

--Eder

I've just noticed something else that you could improve upon. The lights on the dark side of the planet get gradually weaker before reaching the light side... that looks kind of weird, I don't know, but I think the lights should look 100% bright until very close to the light side of the planet... since people don't turn on the lights in their houses gradually, based on how many hours has it been since sunset ;)

--Eder

well, thanks guys :D I can made it available if you want. I'm not sure however that I can convert it to 3ds, I think that it is not possible.

I think i can see my house there :p

Would be possible to get screens of that earth and moon in 256x256 pixels bmps in black backgrounds, without the glowing lights effect?
Also is there any way you could make a 'scorched earth' texture using this original one? Like earth was badly damaged by space bombardment?

yes I could do that. I have to experiment with materials, but this should be possible.

As for bmps. Could you tell me what exactly do you need?

All i need is the whole earth image, like in the pic you post, just without the nebula and stars in the background, a totally black background (0,0,0-rgb), in 256x256. Same for the moon, and if possible the 'scorshed earth'.

Hmm...not bad, but maybe some darker spots...some glowing spots, like there was still fire burning...darker clouds...would make it more dramatic.
Removing the clouds would make it artificial i think.

Back