The creators of Space Quest are creating again

FredDude32

Rear Admiral
For those of you who remember the Space Quest series:

In short: The "Two guys from Andromeda" have once again teamed up after 25 years and is currently in pre-production of a new Space Adventure game. (not specifically Space Quest sequel though).

Space! Spacespacespace! SPAAAAAAAAAACE! :D

Between this and Al Lowe/Josh Mandel re-making Leisure Suit Larry, this may signal a real resurgence in the point-and-click adventure genre.

They have a KickStarter now: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/spaceventure/two-guys-spaceventure-by-the-creators-of-space-que

I kind of say boo to all these new-IP KickStarters. At least the Leisure Suit Larry one had the decency to secure the Leisure Suit Larry IP first. But 'it's from the same guys!' and 'it's the same type of game!' just aren't enough to get my money.

(The problem with the Larry one, of course, was that it was just a remake of the first game; do a new one, for Crid's sake.)

I'd love to see someone do something like "Space Quest meets Wing Commander."

Wouldn't matter if its a cheaply done game or just a text game or even just a short story.

Imagine; Roger Wilco, grade-A janitor and part-time adventurer travelling about in the WC universe.

---- Name parodies ----

- Prince HalfWhak (he's half crazy >> Thrak-hath > hath-thrak > half-whack
- TCS Constipated (cause the toilets keep backing up, so teh crews on pills to keep them from going until they really really need to)
- Retros > Retro-Afros (their faith is based around the "afro" hair style?)
- Firrekans > Fire-we-cans ... the fire-obsessed bird species. Or Fired-me-mans ... the entire species is on unemployment (none of them can hold down a job). Or the Fried-chikens (they look like roast chickens. Or maybe they have a death-ritual of pulling out all their feathers and tossing themselves into a deep-fryer).
- Kilrathi > No-bathi ... these cats dont like water, so they never have a bath or shower. They also have no real sense of personal hygene, so the No'bathi armada is proceeded by a horrible stench. So bad is this stench that when a No'bathi ship jumps into a system the locals immediately know cause they can smell it (even if the No'bathi are hours away, inside sealed ships. Yes, despite the thousands of klicks of distance and teh fact that space is a void with no air (an therefore, like sound, it has no means to allow a smell to travel, the No'bathi can still be smelled). (okay, bad example, I wouldn't really use the No'bathi parody idea, but you can see how funny or stupid you can make stuff in Space Quest.)

---- You could have Roger doing all sorts of stuff like ----
- saying "polly want a cracker" to a Firrekan
- trying to scare off a Kilrathi by dressing up a dog (and probably failing to scare them. LOL, maybe it happens to him by accident, or he's at a costume party or something... but on the lighter side, the other humans get killed and he gets spared cause the cats think he's an alien)
- Roger observes Prince Thrakhath getting groomed with a hairdryer (akin to something that was written about a number of times in Larry Niven's Man-Kzin novels)
- Roger running into someone's quarters, and there's a female Kilrathi there (multiple possibilies... maybe she's in heat and it turns into one of those "funny death scenes" like him dying from too much mating. Or maybe she's "an unspoken-of younger sister of Thrakath, unspoken of cause she's developed a rare genetic condition that caused her to loose all her fur, and cause Roger said something nice to her to avoid angering her she's now ga-ga over him and moments later the Prince walks in and the narrator says something like "well you've really done it now Roger. You can either insult her, and be gutted/castrated, or you can stay alive by keeping her happy (leading to Roger being dragged down the aisle for a wedding, after which the pair of them get carted off to a mansion-like prison).
- Roger maybe getting into a Kilrathi fighter (escape bit of plot) and he's like upside-down in the cockpit, using his knees to steer (somehow dodging the cats in ways that make them comment that he's either "the best fighter pilot in the galaxy, or really really really lucky"), and he manages to fire off some new experimental shield-ignoring torpedo (killing the ship he just escaped from, possibly saving a Confed planet or carrier in the process (plot can have it as the only torp on the fighter or maybe there's a second torp for terrans to study or maybe he down's a second cat ship with it)

---- Roger Wilco in WC funny death bits ----
- "well, you've done it now. You've stopped an interspecies war by getting involved in an interspecies marriage. Unfortunately this means you didn't get married to Beatrice Wankmeister (as fortold in SQ4), which means you never fathered a son, which means your son didn't grow up and travel back in time (from SQ22 to SQ4) to save your sorry butt, which means you died." (or however that "undid a critical moment in your own timeline" bit goes in SQ4)
- (or if you chose "get castrated" instead of married) ... some brief joke gets made about Roger thinking that "castrated" meant something else, like maybe "cast-rated" ... this is followed by the Crown Prince tearring Roger's manhood off. Unfortunately for the Prince, you're a real bleeder, and the Prince slips in your blood (or an over-waxed floor if they parody the bit in WC5); but in the end you ended up a hero. As the Prince slips and slides about, he inadvertantly throws one of the ceremonial daggers he was holding, and it kills the Emperor. Moments later the Prince goes down (either resulting in his own death, or by irony, causng the Prince to self-castrate). OR if its set post WC3, instead of it being Prince Thrakhath it could be whatever Fleet Admiral or whatnot who was causing the problems.

Haha Space Quest 6 was actually during the height of Wing Commander's popularity and had some parody characters (Commander Kielbasa and Admiral Toolman come to mind.)

(The problem with the Larry one, of course, was that it was just a remake of the first game; do a new one, for Crid's sake.)
Al Lowe himself has said that the guys who own the license to Leisure Suit Larry have made the successful creation and marketing of a new LSL1 remake a prerequisite to getting green-lighted to make LSL8. In other words, it's a trial balloon to see if a new generation who weren't even born when the original LSL1 came out will buy a game starring the original Larry Laffer instead of his naive nephew Larry Lovage.

Well, for Larry at least, it's hard to apply "comic book time" to him. He's stated as being in his forties, but also as being stuck in 1970s fashions. Since it's now 2012, it's not really plausible for him to have been out of middle school before 1980 and still be in his forties. This leaves writers with the choice of letting him age, deliberately setting the games 20 years in the past, or getting a new character.

The other thing is that the people at Vivendi were uncomfortable with writing Larry Laffer without Al Lowe, so when it became clear that Al would not be in on the project, they wanted a new character.

Since it's now 2012, it's not really plausible for him to have been out of middle school before 1980 and still be in his forties. This leaves writers with the choice of letting him age, deliberately setting the games 20 years in the past, or getting a new character.

I'm not sure absolute realism is an all-abiding concern for a character who can die and then go to a factory full of more Larry's and King Grahams to be reborn.

Well..In any case guys, I treasure the Two Guys from Andromeda as much as I do Wing Commander! :) (says alot)
Whatever they create I will be a loyal fan!

I hope Chris Roberts will do the same for WC. :p I dont care if its an Android/Ipad game.

By the way guys I apreciate yer response and hope you dont want to spank me for posting this blatant advertisement.

Well...I dont mind a good spanking but that is besides the point..maybe :cool:

Back