The Best Wing Commander Battle

What would the best battle be to either watch in a movie or actually play in a game?

• Vukar Tag

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Battle of Earth

Votes: 31 51.7%
  • Tarawa's END RUN to Kilrah

Votes: 23 38.3%
  • Invasion of the Kilrathi and start of the war

Votes: 5 8.3%

• Total voters
Remember on Star Trek First Contact, when Capt. Picard is listening to the Federation Fleet get its ass kicked? Well, take something like that put that in for Wing Commander and ya got yourself a back ground sound effect. The problem would be to make it especially long like an hour so that the player wouldn't know that it was looped or something to that effect. It certainly would take a great deal of time and money. Which EA has no WISH to even touch with their pinky toe since WC is involved.

Originally posted by Zor Prime
The Battle of Endor as well.
That too. :) (I've only played the demo.)

The trouble, I think, with having background 'decor' for large scale fleet engagements is that the player is effectively the centre of the universe (okay, since when has that not been the case in WC? :)). Fleet engagements such as those in the Battle of Terra (the FA one) would have several capships and dozens, if not hundreds, of fighters engaged in combat - damage or losses in one area would have implications for the whole fleet formation. Forces might have to be spread out to fill the gap, or whatever, and different commanders might have different tactics according to how each situation develops.

Ooh, to much to think about...

The large number of objects certainly would be a really big problem. But what about the small amount of fighters being in view, but as you came closer they came into focus (IE not being just a locked on target). Do you understand what I mean. The taget is locked on so all you see is a red box when you are locked on and then as you get closer the fighter comes into view. That would certainly decrease the processing power required.

I think a game that has what we're talking about in it must be reserved until greater comp tech comes out. That way, there will be no problems, but we'll just have to wait.:(

I checked out the site(s) for that because I will be honest :)( ) I did not know anything about it. So I checked out the sites and have a little bit better idea. When can we expect this game and what is the game's main basis? Just an expansion on what Privateer and Privateer 2 couldn't do? Kindda like a space fighter sim online kindda like Ever Quest?

IIRC StarLancer was a setup for this game. The Solar Wars basically made living in Sol miserable, and to make things worse, another alien race interrupted our soiree, so as soon as they left or whatever, the human race packed their bags and headed elsewhere. Also, IIRC, the character we played as in StarLancer was one of the critical players in repelling the unknown aliens, and was also the deep ancestor of Trent Edison (I think it's Edison, not sure).

The game sounds pretty interesting. Can we expect it within the year... or is it going to be like Blizzard (though Blizzard has never been a disappointment) and keep pushing back the release date?

We can only hope eh? But the more they push it back usually the better the game is. For example: remember DIABLO II, I don't know how many times they pushed that back, but the game ROCKED! :D

I am sorry... in my opinion it was kool... BUT

It does not compare to any Wing Commadner game. I crave a new WC game... please someone give it to me :D

Back