The Battlestar Galactica Thread

Really, though. I love Wing Commander IV a lot. But it's NOT all that good compared to the Battlestar Galactica miniseries.

If Wing Commander IV were Battlestar Galactica, it'd open with Blair and the hobo having sex and Seether killing a puppy just to *prove* he's the bad guy.

It's difficult to really qualify feelings about acting. There are different styles, different things different directors go for. WCIV and BG definately had different acting. But BG definately didn't have BAD acting. Wing Commander IV (and, well, any live action Wing Commander incarnation) most definately did, as in the acting in certain places from certain characters could make a reasonable person physically ill under the right circumstances.

Everyone on Battlestar Galactica seemed either bored or completely non-interactive. To the point that it seems like it was some sort of directing choice - don't let any of the characters be believably emotional at any point, ever.

One sex scene to help establish the fact that the dude was having a steamy affair with a robot is only gratuitous and immature if you're my mother.

Option 1: And the point of the other four was...?

Option 2: Yup, there's no more tasteful way to establish something like that.

Option 3: It did a better job of establishing how truly awful the writing was. "I'm hot", she says, and her spin is glowing! ROFLMEOW! I can't wait to tell the rest of my 7th grade class about that!

I think LOAF had some expectations for this mini series that were left unreached lol.

A Battlestar Galactica remake shouldn't be hard to make. Heroes have happy lives, robots attack, stuff blows up, heroes say angry things about robots, regroup and fly neat space-fighters to blow up robots. Bonus points for some sort of joke about Daggits. What we ended up with was this awful drek that went out of its way to insult the intelligence of its viewers ("They won't be able to tell the robots that blow up the world are evil! Lets have them kill a baby!")

Did they at least seem to understand that the baby killing was cliched? Was it a "Hahahaha! Look at the cliched evil robots" moment, or a "Hey look, we don't know how to show these robots are evil and so we'll use a cliche we don't realize is stupid" moment?

To me it was more of a "the Cylons are stupid, let's have them kill a baby without realizing it and then run away" moment - my cat was blocking the TV though, so I might not have gotten the full view of it. If that was what they were going for, anyway, they evidently did a piss-poor job of it.

It was stupidly dramatic. And it wasn't anything like Bob just described.

The Cylon girl asks if she can hold the baby, and the mom says yes. She holds it and mutters some ominous line ("It's remarkable that its neck can support such weight."). If it'd died just then, what Bob says would make sense. But it didn't - the baby is fine, and the mom takes it back. The mom puts the baby in the carriage and then her husband calls her and she looks away. The Cylon girl comes *back*, bends into the carriage for just a moment and then walks away (you don't see what she's doing). The mom turns back and looks and goes "Oh my god, she's not breathing!".

IIRC, the Cylon is drawn to the baby, noticing it above anyone or anything else within the crowd of people, and at first comments that it is so small, appearing fascinated, and then remarks on its weak neck, and so on. I think the idea was to demonstrate–first with (what was imagined to be) the bizarre coupling of initial curiosity in and then uncaring murder of the baby, and second with the later scene in which the Cylon is about to be caught in the aftermath of a nuclear explosion but appears indifferent and explains she can’t die because her memory will simply be transmitted to another model (off-world apparently)–that Cylons have no sentient experience of birth and death, arguably the two most important events of human biological/emotional life. Not a bad premise for A.L., but certainly not inspired (by itself anyway), and in this case very poorly dramatized.

The feeling of death is kinda moot when you can't die I guess.
Despite the baby dying I kinda got the feeling that because of her killing it, it made me think that the Cylons have the same belief of us that we have of annoying animals or insects, no pity in killing them.

You are joking,right?
I watched only the first half, without subtitles was a little dificult to understand everything, is the orgasm part in the 2nd half?

It's in the first half. When that Cylon was climaxing and her back turns red (to show us that "oh no! She's really a machine!") :(

Nemesis said:
I think the idea was to demonstrate?first with (what was imagined to be) the bizarre coupling of initial curiosity ...that Cylons have no sentient experience of birth and death, arguably the two most important events of human biological/emotional life.

As in regards to the Cylon/baby scene I think you've pretty much established what that scene was supposed to portray (how well that was done seems debatable). Right after you hear the baby's neck snap you see momentary surprise on the Cylon's face, I believe alluding to the fact that she was examining the fragility of the baby and not neccessarily attempting to kill it.

While the acting did get rather loose from time to time and there were a few shots in CG that bothered me (not to mention the atypical characterization for Starbuck) I thought overall the BSG miniseries rocked! I definitely did enjoy the representation of physics in the spaceflight and found it very interesting how they intertwined certain elements of the old with the new.

As a side note, when it's stated that the BSG was going to be decommissioned and because of that, they end up with the old Mark II fighters I was reminded of Unknown Enemy.

Well I finally got to watch the show today. Yeah a little late but TV out here in the Northern Marianas Island is a week late and taped from the San Fransisco bay area. Unfortunatly I was really tired and I slept through alot of the show. Some of it seemed really weak. But I'll have to watxch it again. Some of it was rather gripping though. But I'm a sci-fi nut and if its a space flick I usually love it (with a few exceptions ie. Pitch Black.) I wish it was more like the original series which I happen to love and I even remember watching as a kid when it was still new. I was disapointed that in order to be more PC they made Starbuck a girl (such a far cry from the original womanizing cool customer the original Starbuck was) Anyway those are my thoughts I may add something after I watch the show in its entirety.

Battlestar Galactica Miniseries

Well, I did watch the miniseries and I thought it was rather good. But let me quantify that statement. In CGI and effects it was fastly superior to the original BG (as any show should be done almost two decades later). As sad as I am to say this, my biggest disappointment was that Starbuck was turned into a girl for the mere sake of being politically correct. I'm not being a chauvinistic pig I'm just saying, I'd rather have a new main character that can be a girl but don't take out Starbuck! Starbuck was the cool, swaggering Han Solo character of BG. Removing him would be like putting Jar Jar Binks instead of Han Solo...unforgiveable. Still, I thought the new series was worth watching, certainly a pale comparision in plot and content of the original but entertaining nonetheless.

One thing I have noticed about TV and movies as of the last 10 years, with the advent of CGI, makers are relying too much on computer special effects and not concentrating on telling the story. Some movies have little to none in the CGI department and they are far better flicks than the movies that depend heavily on CGI. A prime example is the new Battlestar Gallactica mini series as opposed to the original series. See what I mean?

it reminds me a bit of video games relying on outrageous polygon counts and not a lotta plot. but then again..."This massive spiked turtle has kidnapped the princess...you must jump on mushrooms to save her!" isn't much of a plot either....:S

I just watched Part 1 of the Battlestar Galactica mini series and I was blown away.

W O W

Just... WOW.

Okay so the above average amount of sex at the beginning seemed a little strange... but the drama started to build and I loved it! Personally I don't think they overdid the CG--it seemed adequately proportioned (at least so far anyway) and helped push the story in various directions.

When it comes to space scenes, Battlestar Galactica's has been by far one of the most stylish ones I've ever seen. I love how they kept them silent, and only used sound to accentuate very few elements at a time. The use of the camera as a physical thing rather than a virtual one really made everything seem more real and grounded. It was great!

It rates as my second favourite scifi TV show I've ever seen (after Space: Above and Beyond).

Wow.

And another thing! It's really cool seeing my city in the show. The scenes on Caprica were filmed at my university. :)

Back