The “Console Wars” heat up! Wii/XBOX360/PS3

Fanboy, stupid, wow, I should probably have the sense not to respond given that I know where this is headed since I'm about to disagree with you... but lets face it that never stopped me before :)

His word choice doesn't change anything. Every one of his points makes sense. If you "know where this is headed," it's stupid to continue it if you want to continue posting.

Fanboys don't care about buisness, they like to believe that a companies sole aim is to fulfill the wishes and desires of their customers, but a company is out there to make money, and surprisingly those two goals don't always go hand in hand.

I'm not even going to read this paragraph, because it starts off sounding like some idiotic semantic crap about the definition of the word "fanboy."

Nintendo aren't stupid, they know how to make money, this wasn't a mistake. It may not make us happy but I'm quite certain it'll make them rich.

What are you talking about? Everybody knows they'll make a ton of money off this. You're introducing brand new topics to the thread and arguing them for the sake of arguing.

What are you talking about? Everybody knows they'll make a ton of money off this. You're introducing brand new topics to the thread and arguing them for the sake of arguing.

I'm talking about it not being a missed opportunity. The number announced is no doubt a concious decision weighing up between putting out as many titles as possible, and the number that can get press and word-of-mouth exposure in a month. I guess my point is that there may be hundreds of fantastic titles for £5 in the bargain bins but someone who has just purchased a console is more likely to buy one of the £50 titles given good exposure in the top ten shelf.

But I'm not doubt wasting my breath, I didn't even say they weren't valid points, just that I felt that Nintendo are likely thinking that how many titles they could promote at once is more crucial, as thats what I'd be thinking.

Okay, I have a question about Nintendo. I've heard that Microsoft is going to buy Nintendo. Does anyone know if that's true?

There was an offer, but whilst people at microsoft seemed to expect them to accept, no one else did. A quick google comes up with the figure $25billion. Odd thing about such an offer is Nintendo are quite rich, sitting on a good $8billion and a very active company. So no, no they're not.

Okay, I have a question about Nintendo. I've heard that Microsoft is going to buy Nintendo. Does anyone know if that's true?

There is absolutely no chance that this is going to happen... Because nintendo is the console company that makes the biggest profit by a really wide margin (sony made a lot less profit and MS never made a single dime of profit at all ever with consoles). There is no logic in selling the company.

Anyways,
Microsoft Brasil announced that they're going to launch the Xbox 360 here in Brazil on December 1st. The bundle will include a premium pack, a remote, PGR3, Kameo, PD0, a faceplate, it will play Region4 DVDs and will cost BRL$2999.00 (roughly US$1400.00), thanks to all the local industrial taxes.

Good news is, the games will cost BRL$159.00 (new releases) and BRL$99.00 (the rest). That's more or less US$74.00 and US$46.00, respectively.

Some games and all manuals and documentation will be localized, and there will be full customer support.

I hope that the Brazilian games run on US Xboxes, because then I'll just buy an imported machine on the local eBay for HALF the price of the official one and buy the games here.

There is absolutely no chance that this is going to happen... Because nintendo is the console company that makes the biggest profit by a really wide margin (sony made a lot less profit and MS never made a single dime of profit at all ever with consoles). There is no logic in selling the company.

While I agree that I don't think there is a serious chance Microsoft will buy out Nintendo, I disagree with your logic as to why. Because Nintendo was the company that was making money on their consoles it presents them as a ripe target to be bought. Nobody wants to buy out a struggling, underperforming company...they want to buy a company that they know will make them money. No logic in selling the company? Money. MS can throw enough money at them to make it logical. However, I don't see that happening.

Personally, I'm a little dissappointed with Nintendo. People criticize them for having a lot of "kid" games, which is sort of true, but there are some great higher aged games (Eternal Darkness, Ghost Recon, Splinter Cell). With Ghsot Recon and Splinter Cell, you can get these on other platforms; however, Nintendo either decided not to include (or couldn't fit) multiplayer capabilities into these games. I was a little annoyed that Ghost Recon had only 2 player multiplayer, but really mad when Ghost Recon 2 had no multiplayer, while the same game on different consoles did. Also, it took them 5 years to come out with a good looking Zelda game (not that cell-shading bull...) and it's even being delayed for GC. If they had produced Twilight Princess as a release title (or even an early title), I'm sure they would have increased their sales by a ton. Personally, I'm thinking about an XBox 360. XBox seems to have a lot of good looking (and playing) FPS games. Halo is now coursing through my veins from many hours playing it in the dorms. :D

Oh, and I also thought the Rouge Squadron series would be better than it turned out. Again, dissappointed.

however, Nintendo either decided not to include (or couldn't fit) multiplayer capabilities into these games.

Which would be a legitimate complaint if you forgot things like Smash Brothers, F-Zero, Mario Party and probably two dozen other great multiplayer games.

Also, it took them 5 years to come out with a good looking Zelda game (not that cell-shading bull...)

Don't be an ass.

Oh, and I also thought the Rouge Squadron series would be better than it turned out. Again, dissappointed.

What I think of your post and you think of Rogue Squadron have commonalities.

So if I understand correctly the next one will be called z-box, and all you will get will be a box? :)

The real Y-box
http://www.uncommonprojects.com/ybox/
Ooh, the curiously strong gadget that comes in an Altoids container!

I’m going to go with the Wii based solely on two factors; “Metroid Prime III: Corruption” and the fact that it will do the least damage to my finances, that’s right, the Wii is the cheapest of the new consoles.

...That is if you don’t count the myriad of new lesser known consoles that are using education as a selling point this holiday season. I swear, every I turn on the TV I see a commercial for some new last generation console or handheld claiming “This year, while every other kid is playing the same old action game, your kid will be having fun, learning how to spell with math!” Oh boy, what fun!

Good thing Nintendo DS has decided to release a line of educational games.

Which reminds me, I’m also going to go with the DS over the PSP for the very same reasons I’m going with Wii; “Metroid Prime: Hunters” and also the fact that it’s the cheapest, with the exception of the afore mentioned educational handhelds. Also, Nintendo is releasing “MECHassault: Phantom War” for DS and the original “Mech” game was what got me into simulators like “Wing Commander” in the first place, it also plays GBA games and has a large Wi-Fi community.

Besides, apart from the “EA Replay” with “Wing Commander” games that I already own on SNES, there aren’t really any PSP games that I’m really interested in. Maybe in a few years they’ll come out with a next-gen’ version of PSP that’s as good as the PS2 and they’ll come out with a version of “Halo” for the handheld.

Nintendo aren't stupid, they know how to make money, this wasn't a mistake. It may not make us happy but I'm quite certain it'll make them rich.

This is exactly why you're a fanboy: you're interested in defending Nintendo's crummy business practices instead of talking about what would be good for players.

Normal people don't care whether or not this is going to "make them rich", they care about where is and is not a good feature. (Though, since you seem to love semantics to an almost Brazilian extent, one must point out that the people for whom this feature will make money are already rich.)

The fact that Nintendo makes money on something is no magic get-out-of-criticism-free card. Look at all the crummy, crummy Pokemon 'filler' games -- Trozei, Dash, Snap, Channel, etc. They're almost all terrible games that Nintendo continues to make because they generate money. They don't magically become perfect because people are buying them.

Which reminds me, I’m also going to go with the DS over the PSP for the very same reasons I’m going with Wii; “Metroid Prime: Hunters” and also the fact that it’s the cheapest, with the exception of the afore mentioned educational handhelds. Also, Nintendo is releasing “MECHassault: Phantom War” for DS and the original “Mech” game was what got me into simulators like “Wing Commander” in the first place, it also plays GBA games and has a large Wi-Fi community.

I like the DS, on occasion. Animal Crossing was lots and lots of fun, and Pokemon Diamond and Pearl are going to eat up quite a few hours of my life once they're localized. I'd like to replace my stupidly large original one with the modern version at some point.

It still has all the same problems it did when it came out, though -- it's a weird gimmick attached to a GameBoy. Third party DS games suck because they're ordinary handheld games that have weird second-screen and touch stuff glomped into them. A lot of first party stuff runs into this, too -- you don't get the wide and giant variety of games that you did with the GBA. When a DS game works, it's wonderful... but a lot of them just end up awkward.

I've never liked the PSP -- UMDs were a stupid idea and there aren't any really great games... but as a fanatic WingNut, I now carry one in my bag whenever I go out. It's been strange.

Also, please stop bolding things for no reason.

Besides, apart from the “EA Replay” with “Wing Commander” games that I already own on SNES, there aren’t really any PSP games that I’m really interested in. Maybe in a few years they’ll come out with a next-gen’ version of PSP that’s as good as the PS2 and they’ll come out with a version of “Halo” for the handheld.

Yes, I'm sure Microsoft is really, really eager to port Halo to a Sony platform.

I was a little annoyed that Ghost Recon had only 2 player multiplayer, but really mad when Ghost Recon 2 had no multiplayer, while the same game on different consoles did.

Don't worry, Ghost Recon 2 was disappointing on every platform. (Hey, kids, work hard and unlock a picture of a jeep!)

Yes, I'm sure Microsoft is really, really eager to port Halo to a Sony platform.

Maybe when Microsoft buys Sony :p.

While I agree that I don't think there is a serious chance Microsoft will buy out Nintendo, I disagree with your logic as to why. Because Nintendo was the company that was making money on their consoles it presents them as a ripe target to be bought. Nobody wants to buy out a struggling, underperforming company...they want to buy a company that they know will make them money. No logic in selling the company? Money. MS can throw enough money at them to make it logical. However, I don't see that happening.

Friend, the Nintendo stock-holders make a lot more money by NOT selling it and earning yearly profit-shares, than selling it off for a lumpsum.

It's like killing the golden goose. With Nintendo on its own, they'll make money for the rest of their lives. By selling nintendo, they'll make a buck, but then it's over.

The whole Google/MS buyout thing works very well for something like youtube, but it's not very efficient when you have a centenary company who's leading the market in profits. Nintendo is not some young start-up struggling to succeed.

Even sega only got bought when they were going down.

It was one of those "mergers", but it was more like Sammy bought Sega.
I don't think Sega would have lasted long if the merger didn't go through.

Friend, the Nintendo stock-holders make a lot more money by NOT selling it and earning yearly profit-shares, than selling it off for a lumpsum.

It's like killing the golden goose. With Nintendo on its own, they'll make money for the rest of their lives. By selling nintendo, they'll make a buck, but then it's over.

The whole Google/MS buyout thing works very well for something like youtube, but it's not very efficient when you have a centenary company who's leading the market in profits. Nintendo is not some young start-up struggling to succeed.

Even sega only got bought when they were going down.

I think you're forgetting that MS shareholders also make money, good money. I'm no financial analyst but I would suspect that over the past 10 years MS shareholders have done just as well if not better than Nintendo's shareholders. If MS wanted Nintendo bad enough then they would make an offer that was sweet enough to attract majority stockholders of Nintendo. Again, I don't think MS has plans to buy out Nintendo, however I do think that if it was a serious goal of theirs, they have the resources to make the deal tempting to Nintendo shareholders. If I knew that by owning stock in Nintendo would net me an annual 10% gain for the next ten years or I'm offered an instant 100% gain, I'd take the instant gain and take my chances by placing my money in another company.

They haven't invented an unsmiley face unsmiley enough to apply here.

I think you're forgetting that MS shareholders also make money, good money. I'm no financial analyst but I would suspect that over the past 10 years MS shareholders have done just as well if not better than Nintendo's shareholders. If MS wanted Nintendo bad enough then they would make an offer that was sweet enough to attract majority stockholders of Nintendo. Again, I don't think MS has plans to buy out Nintendo, however I do think that if it was a serious goal of theirs, they have the resources to make the deal tempting to Nintendo shareholders. If I knew that by owning stock in Nintendo would net me an annual 10% gain for the next ten years or I'm offered an instant 100% gain, I'd take the instant gain and take my chances by placing my money in another company.

It's not this simple. Nintendo is a very eccentric company. As I said on IRC, the largest stockholder is the grandson of the founder of the company and very protective of it. Japanese companies overall are fairly resistant to foreign takeovers. There's no way you could predict what sort of merges and things could really do for stock values, and Nintendo's stock is actually a superstar performer up there with Microsoft (and much better than Microsoft for the last several years depending on how you look at it). Yeah, Microsoft makes billions in profit, but for the first half of this year, Nintendo made half a billion too. It's no minor player waiting to be bought out, and it's no friendly neighbor in the marketplace ready for any kind of merger type of thing. Making some big theoretical deal about how company X COULD buy company Y doesn't really tell you anything when it's as much of a long shot as this.

With Ghsot Recon and Splinter Cell, you can get these on other platforms; however, Nintendo either decided not to include (or couldn't fit) multiplayer capabilities into these games.

There's a thorough lack of understanding of how this works here. Nintendo doesn't put or not put multiplayer into games published by Ubisoft. The developers of Ghost Recon and Splinter Cell chose whatever features to put and not put into those games after looking at the situation and figuring out what would be worth their time.

Mav, I thought you had a 360? We were playing COD2 on live before? I think I'm going to pick up GOW today maybe over my lunch break. Looks pretty neat. Anyone interested in playing some co-op?

I do have a 360. I was referring to purchasing GOW. I'm up for some co-op if you are once I get a copy. What I meant by "interest in the 360" was that it has been collecting dust since I beat Oblivion.

I do have a 360. I was referring to purchasing GOW. I'm up for some co-op if you are once I get a copy. What I meant by "interest in the 360" was that it has been collecting dust since I beat Oblivion.

Oh ok, I see what you mean. Yeah, I haven't played much of my 360 up until just recently when I got Lego Star Wars 2 and GOW. Yeah, let me know when you get a copy of GOW, it's a pretty darn sweet game. Multiplayer is pretty fun as well.

I definitely will let you know, I might stop by Best Buy today and see if they have a copy.

Also I completely forgot about Dead Rising, one of my favorite games in recent months. Unfortunately I found the ending to be rather unsatisfying compared to the rest of the game.

It's not this simple. Nintendo is a very eccentric company. As I said on IRC, the largest stockholder is the grandson of the founder of the company and very protective of it. Japanese companies overall are fairly resistant to foreign takeovers. There's no way you could predict what sort of merges and things could really do for stock values, and Nintendo's stock is actually a superstar performer up there with Microsoft (and much better than Microsoft for the last several years depending on how you look at it). Yeah, Microsoft makes billions in profit, but for the first half of this year, Nintendo made half a billion too. It's no minor player waiting to be bought out, and it's no friendly neighbor in the marketplace ready for any kind of merger type of thing. Making some big theoretical deal about how company X COULD buy company Y doesn't really tell you anything when it's as much of a long shot as this.
That's pretty much what I was going to answer...
I agree with everything Chris said/typed here.

Back