That article about an article about an article....

Pedro

Admiral
That article *grin* that the CIC linked to today really annoyed me at one point in paticular and I'd like to know if anyone agrees with me, it called WC fans sad for hanging onto their collections, WC callsigns, playing the old games because by todays standards the games are mediocre! wtf! mediocre!
I'm sorry but I've played the recent additions to space combat, starlancer, freespace 2 and all of them were a step back from WC. Not one of them related you to your fellow pilots, gave you a plot that made you excited when you were shown another piece of crucial information (fs 2 ALMOST did, but not quite). WC had planetside missions, complex enemies, MIP, tractoring in pilots, taking out jamming devices, altering capship attack tactics (guns > torpedoes > torpedoing sections), laying mines, surveillance missions etc etc. And more importantly than all these things it was a saga where in each installment you became attached to the people at that time, worried about their future and watched the entire universe slowly but surely evolve.
Hell in FS2 they'd been cut off from earth for years and nothing seemed to have changed a bit!
In my opinion all we have gained are graphical effects.
Anyone agree, disagree have comments?

Suggest you post this in the 'comments' section of the ATFW article... you'll find a similar view expressed by myself there.

Thanks Loaf, I'll do just that
smile.gif

I know it sounds like these grandparents going around saying "in my day" but in the current day FPS have improved in terms of plot, variety etc as have many other genres, its just space combat hasn't
frown.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Back