Thanks For Another Great Year (January 1, 2006)

ChrisReid

Super Soaker Collector / Administrator
Once again the legions of dedicated Wing Commander fans have amazed us. Daily visits to the site increased 25% in 2005 over 2004, and site traffic has more than doubled in the last few years. We are very excited for 2006. There are great things in store for everyone in both the next few days and the coming months. Thanks for joining us!


Our traditional New Years Poll is now up, and everyone has a chance to weigh in. The classical Oldziey tracks of Wing Commander 3 through Prophecy took the lead in our favorite music poll. Team Fat's WC1/2 creations were close behind, however.




What had your favorite Wing Commander music?


WC1-2: 32.96%



WC3-Prophecy: 40.18%




Secret Ops: 3.96%



Privateer: 12.78%



Movie: 6.04%




Academy TV: 0.71%



Other: 3.37%



Total Votes: 1690




--
Original update published on January 1, 2006
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Bob McDob

Better Health Through Less Flavor
I have a feeling 2006 is going to be an awesome year. The numbers just look right, and besides, it's the Year of the Dog.
 

Quarto

Unknown Enemy
If all goes well, we'll have three episodes of Standoff released this year. On top of that, I would imagine Saga will probably release something, Gemini Gold will hopefully get even more Priv-like, and Flight Commander will hopefully continue improving in leaps and bounds... and then there's a dozen other mods, some of which also might produce something.

So, all in all, it should be a great year for WC - and that's not even taking into account that there's always the possibility (however unlikely) of EA announcing an official WC product.
 

Maj.Striker

Swabbie
Banned
Yeah, I"m quite optimistic as well. There's a lot of things to be excited about within the community. People's hard work and efforts are paying off.
 

Frost-E

Spaceman
Can't forget about the "Holding the Line" PBM series co-ordinated by Raptor. That's gearing up for a big '06 as it rushes towards its finale.
 

ChrisReid

Super Soaker Collector / Administrator
Yeah, it's really easy for people to think there's only a few mods/projects/sites, but the community is a lot bigger than that. It may be true that at any given time there's only about a dozen different projects we might cover in a month, but there are a ton of mods that go dormant for a while and then spring up again. The stuff we report on from month to month changes. The various RPGs and PBM groups are a good example of something we rarely report on but are actually quite active on their own.
 

Alch

Spaceman
ChrisReid said:
Yeah, it's really easy for people to think there's only a few mods/projects/sites, but the community is a lot bigger than that. It may be true that at any given time there's only about a dozen different projects we might cover in a month, but there are a ton of mods that go dormant for a while and then spring up again. The stuff we report on from month to month changes. The various RPGs and PBM groups are a good example of something we rarely report on but are actually quite active on their own.

...and don't forget those who are replaying the old games. Most of us have found lots of help from the tech support forums and, thanks to it are now capable to enjoy them again after almost 15 years!!
 

Iceblade

Admiral
Right, and I also have a feeling that by 2007, a number of fan-made WC missions and campiagns will spring up using the FC engine. Maybe even a few more large-scale mods might pop up using the FC engine.
 
H

Han2

Guest
Tech help, please

i'm new to wing commander, bought it at a local store during the christmas sale. tried installing it and a message pops up saying i don't have enough disk space. i run windows xp on a pentium3, 512ram and about 16gb hd free. can anyone help?
 

AD

Finder of things, Doer of stuff
Han2 said:
i'm new to wing commander, bought it at a local store during the christmas sale. tried installing it and a message pops up saying i don't have enough disk space. i run windows xp on a pentium3, 512ram and about 16gb hd free. can anyone help?


Besides the obligatory mention of how you might get better response if this is in the Tech support forum, We need to know which Wing Commander game you have. Is is the original (WC1)? If so, Is it the dos version? Or did you happen to get The "Kilrathi Saga" version? Because installing and running is different for each case. I assume you have a dos version. I dont know how fast your CPU is but you may be able to get it to install and run properly in dosbox. (a dos emulator for running old games and such)
 

Sphynx

Commodore
Honestly, I think this may be our best year yet. Standoff will be completed, and unless there is a major catstrophe, Saga will most likely have it's prologue out. Then there are all the FC projects.

So, while other years have had a lot of great fiction and some playable projects, this may be the year with the most playable releases in quite some time.
 
H

Han2

Guest
Tech help please

sorry i totally forgot to mention. i have problems with wing commander prophecy. the kilrathi saga seems to run fine. anyone where i can get a hold of wing commander 4?
 

AD

Finder of things, Doer of stuff
Han2 said:
sorry i totally forgot to mention. i have problems with wing commander prophecy. the kilrathi saga seems to run fine. anyone where i can get a hold of wing commander 4?

PS1 version: http://cgi.ebay.ca/Wing-Commander-IV-The-Price-of-Freedom-Playstation_W0QQitemZ8248827972QQcategoryZ62053QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This one looks overpriced: http://cgi.ebay.ca/Wing-Commander-IV-Price-of-Freedom-COMPLETE-IN-BOX-NR_W0QQitemZ8248649758QQcategoryZ62053QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

DVD but probably the sigle sided version with regular videos (instead of double-sided with mpeg-2): http://cgi.ebay.ca/WING-COMMANDER-IV-The-Price-of-Freedom-DVD-Rom_W0QQitemZ5849847975QQcategoryZ80328QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The price is better but (I dont know where you are though) its in europe and the bid doesnt close for 8 days:http://cgi.ebay.ca/PC-CDROM-Wing-Commander-4-The-Price-of-Freedom_W0QQitemZ8249011072QQcategoryZ11051QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
 

Iceblade

Admiral
Hey, do so many WC fans really think that this year will be poor?

I'm sure that most of the people who voted for "poor" probably are not active in the community, but come on.
 

Quarto

Unknown Enemy
Iceblade said:
Hey, do so many WC fans really think that this year will be poor?

I'm sure that most of the people who voted for "poor" probably are not active in the community, but come on.
People who think this year will be poor for WC are also right. It just depends on what you're interested in - if you have no interest in fan projects, then this year will suck just as badly for WC as last year did. And I can definitely understand people who don't care for fan projects - no matter what the fans do, it still doesn't compare to getting an official product.
 

ChrisReid

Super Soaker Collector / Administrator
Iceblade said:
Hey, do so many WC fans really think that this year will be poor?
I'm sure that most of the people who voted for "poor" probably are not active in the community, but come on.

Well, we'll be changing the poll shortly. The only option getting votes now is "poor," because all the people who'd vote for the higher options visit the site more often than once a week and logged their votes at the beginning of the month.

Quarto said:
People who think this year will be poor for WC are also right. It just depends on what you're interested in - if you have no interest in fan projects, then this year will suck just as badly for WC as last year did. And I can definitely understand people who don't care for fan projects - no matter what the fans do, it still doesn't compare to getting an official product.

Even with that logic, it'll be eight years now since the last completely new Wing Commander game. And they only released Wing Commander games for eight years. So if not now, then quite soon, years like 2006, at the worst, should just be considered "average" really. Of course, we're doing so much more now as a community than we were 3 or 4 years ago that I think anyone who votes for poor or average is pretty crazy.
 
Top