Terran Confederation Inter-Congressional Medal of Honor in Half its Glory!

Denis Loubet

Space Marshal
Sorry for the long wait, but I finally created a 3D printing file for the Terran Confederation Inter-Congressional Medal of Honor! You can order it now right here, but before you do I want to ask the forum what kind of attachment to the ribbon do you want on the back of the medal? Here's what it looks like in a render:
MedalOfHonorFront.jpgMedalOfHonorBack.jpg
Right now it has a Lapel-pin kind of post on the back, and you'll have to buy one of those little brass clutch dealies to attach it to a shirt or ribbon:
513xgN1Gy-L.jpg
But I think that a ribbon would be better accommodated by a loop or bar on the back. Does anyone know how medals of this nature are attached to the ribbons they hang from in the real world?

Note that the thing I'm selling is only the ringed planet part of the medal. It will take people with more cosplay-cred than I have to complete the medal with the full ribbon and pin treatment.

But there you go! For such a simple design, it was surprisingly difficult to get it just right. I wanted the rings to be flat, and yet look like they're going behind the planet. That required some tedious tweaking, but it finally paid off.

Right now I have it only in the steel materials, but if you scroll to the bottom of the material list you can see the Polished Bronze looks really nice. Of course it's correspondingly more expensive. :-(

Note that I have not made the medal for sale to the general public yet. The link above is the only way to get to the product page.

Let me know what you think. I have not printed the medal out yet, and have not ordered one myself, so if you decide to buy one you'll be the Guinea Pig to see if it looks good or not. Other items in my 3D printing storefront have some photos showing how the materials actually look, instead of just a render.

Let me know what you think.

--Denis

THIS IS VERY EXCITING! Thank you so much! I just ordered one and will provide a full review when it arrives (sounds like mid-June!) I went with the Polished Nickel Steel for the silver look in the game.

I think your pin solution may be ideal for a Wing Commander medal. Real world medals have loops at the top that the ribbons fold through... but those aren't visible on the WC1 medals, so a pin will probably look more accurate. Now to find the perfect fabric!

Ha! You guys act fast! :) I got the notification from Shapeways early this afternoon.

Here's what I imagine a loop on the back to look like: MedalOfHonorBackWithLoop.jpg

That file is ready to put up on the store, but I will hold off until you get your medal!
It takes Shapeways about 3 weeks to get you your steel items. That's if nothing goes wrong, and this is a first trial print for this model.

It IS exciting! :)

--Denis

Ha! It looks like the print is going to work, I got a report from Shapeways that the medal is no longer categorized as "first to print". I hope it gets shipped soon. :)

It has shipped! I paid the $7.50 to have them prioritize it. :) The tracker estimates it'll be delivered on Tuesday. I can't wait!

I'm sorry for the delayed response, life got in the way the past two weeks :) I'm SUPER happy with the quality, I think it really turned out great. The only thing I will note is that the pin... tube... didn't print; but I think that's totally fine, I'm thinking to attach it to the ribbon with a magnet instead.

Here are a couple pictures:

IMG_6028.JPG

IMG_6027.JPG

I was afraid the post wouldn't print. Shoot!
Plus the layering is really obvious! I'll have to limit the materials to the fully polished metals to try to hide that artifacting. (Although it kinda looks cool anyway?) 😉
Thank you for taking a risk on this model and despite the errors and artifacts I'm glad you're pleased with it! 😀 (Nice photos by the way!)

If I manage to correct the issues with this, is there anything you would like me to tackle next?

--Denis

Totally happy being the guinea pig! And I'm happy to keep testing them if you update it further. I did earn a couple of these things in my fighter piloting career :D

I'd certainly love to see the other medals from Wing Commander I, which I guess would just be two designs: the Golden Sun and then a star that could be printed in different materials to be the Bronze/Silver/Gold Star.

Back